PDA

View Full Version : What to do about trespassers? -Updated

FoxChaser
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
I went out to my barn to feed my horses yesterday afternoon and found a peppermint lying in the grass just outside the end doors of the barn. I live on the end of a dead-end street in an older rural neighborhood (all the properties are 5-10 acres). My neighbors are mostly retirees and no one has children at home. We are a very private bunch who will say hello in passing or all join together to fight a common cause, but other than that, we don't meddle in one another's business. We built our barn so that you cannot see it from the street and are circled on three sides by woods and farmland. The only access to my barn is by going all the way down our driveway and down the gravel lane off that around the back of the house. Anyway, I found this gourmet peppermint (the kind like a fat piece of candy cane) in the grass just outside the back doors of the barn where I take my horses in and out twice a day. I know it wasn't there in the morning. To say that I'm bothered about folks in my barn is putting it mildly. I do not board nor do not advertise that I have horses in any way. I do not want people on my property. I have a 17+hh OTTB who occasionally bites and I worry about some idiot getting bitten and coming after me when they have no right to be here in the first place. What is it with people?!! Would you come into my house and pet my dog just because I have one and you know he's there???

So, great COTH wise ones, what should I do? There really isn't a way to gate my property. Do I put up No Trespassing signs everywhere?? Ugh!

walkinthewalk
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:26 AM
Your set up and neighborhood sound very similar to mine.

I would worry a lot less about The Big Guy biting someone and more about him getting stolen.

My best thought would be to invest in a video/audio system that also includes night vision.

Nothing like hauling someone into court when the "proof is in the video" :)

ESG
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yes.

Put "No Trespassing" signs up at every possible access point to your farm. If you have a long driveway, make sure there are signs on both sides of it, where it joins the road. Put a sign on each and every gate that you have, and padlock your gates with chains. If possible, put a hot wire across unfenced, ungated accesses, with the ingress behind fenced areas. In Texas, fence posts painted purple on top are "No Trespassing" signs, in and of themselves, so grab a brush and the purple paint and get started. ;)

And even then, better up your liability insurance, because people seem to feel that they're entitled to go anywhere and do anything they like with anyone elses' property, and damn the consequences. :rolleyes:

Good luck. I feel your pain. :no:

Bluey
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:29 AM
Find out what are the legal signs in your state to keep trespassers out.

Here, you have to state "Posted-No Trespassing".

You really should have those where they are very visible, along with "private property, no trespassing, "private road" and such others.

Signs won't really help that much, ask me how I know.:no:
We have five such signs in our gate and still have to close and lock it all the time and people will still try to take the gate off the henges to get in, or climb it.
One rammed the gate into a pretzel, until it broke and went on.:confused:

One trespasser was a local TV anchorman, that kept arguing "he was not hurting anything".:rolleyes:

Some day, someone is going to get shot, because we are right by a major expressway, that is a drug transport heaven, so you never know who you are confronting.

Today's world is becoming more and more strange.:(

Char
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:30 AM

I would worry a lot less about The Big Guy biting someone and more about him getting stolen.

My best thought would be to invest in a video/audio system that also includes night vision.

:yes: This

Bluey
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:32 AM

And put those "Smile, you are on camera" and "under video surveillance" signs up.

ESG
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Signs won't really help that much, ask me how I know.:no:
We have five such signs in our gate and still have to close and lock it all the time and people will still try to take the gate off the henges to get in, or climb it.
One rammed the gate into a pretzel, until it broke and went on.:confused:

Jeez, Bluey - what are you growing?!?!? :D

One trespasser was a local TV anchorman, that kept arguing "he was not hurting anything".:rolleyes:

Another WTF moment. What is wrong with people?!?!? :mad:

Today's world is becoming more and more strange.:(

And not in a good way. :sigh:

Bluey
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Jeez, Bluey - what are you growing?!?!? :D

Another WTF moment. What is wrong with people?!?!? :mad:

And not in a good way. :sigh:

We are not "growing" anything, but we are part of a windfarm, with 400'+ towers, that can be seen from miles around and everyone and their dog wants to go see those towers close up, as if they looked any different than from far away.
In legal terms, an "attractive nuisance" and so liable for injury to trespassers, even if the idiots had to break in to get in.

The newsman had someone visiting him and just took them out to show them around.
We are not even in the windfarm part, but people want to cross thru us to get to it, even with signs and closed and locked gates.

What a world!:eek:

JohnDeere
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:43 AM
Call 2jakes & get some snakes. Put up pics.

Woodland
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
Post signs Prosecute violators.

Bluey
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Post signs Prosecute violators.

Our signs are the standard for TX:

POSTED
NO TRESPASSING
VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED

We also have another sign:

NO TRESPASSING
NO HUNTING
WILDLIFE PRESERVE since 1957
Watch out for rattlesnakes

We do have some resident rattlers living under that cattleguard with a gate over it.

I wonder of people can't read for content any more?:no:

We are looking into those surveillance cameras that will transmit to the house, a mile away.
That is something the OP may want to look into.

OP, you could ask several local security firms what they would suggest.:yes:

winfieldfarm
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
look up in Northern Tool or the like for driveway sensors. We have them and it works wonders when we are in the house. Both drives have a battery operated snesor that beeps once for the house drive, twice for the barn drive. If we are home and in the house, we always know when someone has pulled into the drive. You could modifiy location to include your barn.

Call the local sheriff to inform. Send out written notice to your neighbors that this occurred. The offending neighbor may sheepishly admit it but will probably be too embarrassed to do it again. The good neighbors will help keep an eye out. No village likes a lurker, the more eyes the better to protect the flock!

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Oct. 22, 2009, 02:01 PM
Did you see any other signs - footprints, tire marks, etc. - besides the peppermint?

I ask because for a while there I was finding strange things dropped into my water troughs - an entire fish skeleton, once - and thought the field hands were playing tricks. Turned out to be a racoon washing his dinner.:D

I think coons and possums and even crows will steal candy.:yes:

LauraKY
Oct. 22, 2009, 02:18 PM
We had a problem with the neighbors. Found them wandering down our road, randomly petting and feeding (baby carrots, of all things...looks just like a finger), any horses they encountered. One of the farms is a backyard breeder, no vaccinations, no farrier care, no worming most with pink eye. Like I really want these idiots to feed and pet a sick horse and then move on to mine. Not to mention, we have OTTBs that BITE. Of course, it was a little kid that the parents were allowing to feed the horses. To say I was upset is an understatement. We now lock our gate, have signs, put a hot wire around the top board and sent a letter out to all the neighbors.

Still didn't stop an idiot teenager from throwing a glass Coke bottle in the pasture. To make a long story short, horse stepped on bottle, bottle broke, horse rolled on broken bottle, puncture wound to the neck that just missed the jugular. Same neighbor attached chicken wire to my board fence after they put in a pool without asking (the fence, not the pool). We found out when my horses just had to put their heads between the wire and the boards the same day the fence went up. Two eye injuries, stitches and $1000 later we demanded they remove the chicken wire. Now they have puppies and told me they were going to have to put the wire fence back up because "your horses might kill my puppies". Didn't worry that chasing my horses might hurt my horses! Convinced them to put hot tape around the bottom of the fence. For some reason, they're opposed to invisible fence. Go figure. I offered to loan them my portable dog fence. Didn't want that, of course. Puppies still get in the pasture because, of course, they're out without supervision. So far, horses have ignored them. I HATE neighbors! Well, some of my neighbors.

Go Fish
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. It could have been a critter that stole it out of a garbage can, for instance, and left it on your property. The possibilities are endless.

equineartworks
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:31 PM
Did you see any other signs - footprints, tire marks, etc. - besides the peppermint?

I ask because for a while there I was finding strange things dropped into my water troughs - an entire fish skeleton, once - and thought the field hands were playing tricks. Turned out to be a racoon washing his dinner.:D

I think coons and possums and even crows will steal candy.:yes:

I found a cupcake, with icing, in the rafters of the barn this spring. I wanted to blame the one neighbor I don't like but it was too much of a stretch. :lol:

FoxChaser
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:32 PM
You Texans sound like you've been there, done that with regard to trespassers! Yesterday was one of the rare days when I wasn't around most of the day. We have yet to finish our gravel drive to the barn, so it is "paved" with the really big gravel rocks and no top layer. I can't miss someone driving down it when I'm home, it's so noisy- no driveway alarm needed. I've seen the electric company meter reader in the barn once before (meter is on the outside of the barn, thank you- no need to pet the horses!), so she is my #1 suspect. The peppermint was on the end of the barn where my big boy's stall is located. He doesn't eat treats. All the other boys love them, but he just won't go for anything no matter how hard I've tried. I imagine whomever was here tried to give him the mint and he spit it out (it was a bit tacky) and they threw it outside rather than feeding it to one of the other horses.

My husband is a software engineer and certified techno-geek who would love, love, love the opportunity to put up surveillance cameras in the barn. We may go that route. For now, I've spent part of my day today investing in Private Property No Trespassing signs which I will put around our place and one of the Kentucky resolution #whatever signs that warns folks that farm animals and farm animal activities are dangerous and if you're involved, you're doing so at your own risk. Maybe I can have a nice private property sign painted up to put at the bend in the driveway or something. Yuck :(

LauraKY
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:25 PM
We have trouble with the meter reader. He's so lazy he opens the gate, drives to the barn and leaves the gate open. We're talking 100 feet from gate to barn! I now lock the gate. Guess he has to climb over. Too bad. Horses are in the barn during the day in the summer and we have several expert escape artists; sometimes they just want out! Can't take a chance on them exploring the neighborhood.

JanM
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
Fox-I would second the notify the neighbors by letter, but I would phrase it something like " Dear Neighbor, I want to alert you to the possibility that someone has been trespassing during the day in our neighborhood. Since many times this is the precursor to a spate of burglaries I would appreciate everyone keeping an eye out for suspicious characters in the area, and I will in return be glad to alert you to trespassers on your property. And if a problem occcurs I will be glad to share the video from my surveillance system with the proper authorities. Sincerely, Foxy"

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but at least you found out by something minor instead of a burglary or the horses being let out. I would take this as a chance to secure things such as the tack room doors and other areas from trespassers or thieves. And let your DH have some fun, you never know what you may see. And I would call the electric company and see when the meter was read-and if the date corresponds I would talk to the chief of the meter reading team about trespassing employees, their legal liability if anything happens to the horses, and their employee's actions. Of course, it may not be the meter people and that would be worse because the pool of suspects will really be big then.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:13 PM
Definitely look up the regulations regarding criminal trespassing for your state. In FL, just having a fence with a gate is sufficient to warn people that they are not allowed to be on your property. No need to actually post the signs. But every state is different.

And get some equine liability signs, and post one at every entrance to the pastures and at the barn entrance.

Unfortunately, you might have to put up a gate that is difficult to open. My big gate has a wheel that created a bit of a dip in the ground. The wheel also conveniently gets stuck on the post, and the latch is difficult to operate. Not that anyone who really wants onto the property will be stopped, but it helps to make it difficult.

I have also had issues with people on my property, but in this case it's the neighbor child who spends her time completely unsupervised. She would go between the gate and the post when I changed the latch so that she couldn't operate it. Finally had to take the gate down and fence over it. We have a hotwire too, but we are still figuring out why it doesn't shock anything.

Nikki^
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:19 PM
...but get a Sherman Tank. Me and my SO are going to get one when we buy land and there is going to be nothing more funny then meeting trespassers in a Sherman Tank!:lol:

We are going to put up some no trespassing signs with a tank logo on it....

Gry2Yng
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:28 PM
Ah, one more thing to lose sleep over.

Nikki^
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:37 PM
Ah, one more thing to lose sleep over.

Come on now!:lol: I can see dinner parties with our guests asking about the tank.

Da Tank!!! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d3/Patton_Muesum_012.JPG/800px-Patton_Muesum_012.JPG)

How cool is that?

It won't fire live shells since you need a special permit for that but it will keep the trespassers away.:lol::winkgrin:

nightsong
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:26 AM
I found a cupcake, with icing, in the rafters of the barn this spring. I wanted to blame the one neighbor I don't like but it was too much of a stretch. :lol:

I was walking through a church parking lot when I heard a scuffle coming from inside a dumpster. I gave the thing a WIDE berth as i didn't want some rabid wild animal coming out and attacking me. It rattled the top quite a bit, and finally a SQUIRREL appeared, with a whole, intact DOUGHNUT in its mouth! :lol:

Reynard Ridge
Oct. 23, 2009, 05:25 AM
Fox-I would second the notify the neighbors by letter, but I would phrase it something like " Dear Neighbor, I want to alert you to the possibility that someone has been trespassing during the day in our neighborhood. Since many times this is the precursor to a spate of burglaries I would appreciate everyone keeping an eye out for suspicious characters in the area, and I will in return be glad to alert you to trespassers on your property. And if a problem occurs I will be glad to share the video from my surveillance system with the proper authorities. Sincerely, Foxy"

Now that is clever. :yes:

nightsong
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:05 AM
The part about sharing the video is especially clever. :yes::cool::winkgrin:

BestHorses
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:57 AM
Come on now!:lol: I can see dinner parties with our guests asking about the tank.

Da Tank!!! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d3/Patton_Muesum_012.JPG/800px-Patton_Muesum_012.JPG)

How cool is that?

It won't fire live shells since you need a special permit for that but it will keep the trespassers away.:lol::winkgrin:

Oh I bet your house becomes THE place for trespassing. It will be a badge of honor for local miscreants to sneak into "the place with the tank" just to see it. :lol:

OP, I have a driveway sensor that was helpful (before it stopped working :) ) but it's not useful when we're not here. I'd say get the cameras going...

FoxChaser
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:11 AM
I got my last electric bill out and looked at the date of the next scheduled meter read, then called the electric company. Sure enough, my meter reader was here on the 21st and having seen her in the barn once before petting the horses (I was just getting out of the shower or I would have said something then), I'm certain that she was the trespasser. The electric company apologized and said that they would file a report with the meter reading company. The meter readers are not allowed to enter the structures where the meters are located. I feel sooooooo much better knowing it was someone who was at least on the property for a legitimate reason rather than just someone wandering through! That doesn't mean that I won't be posting signs around the perimeter and locking my tack room, but I think we'll wait on the video cameras for awhile :)

JanM
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'm glad you found out who it is, and that they won't be a problem again. It's a very creepy feeling knowing someone's been sneaking around your place.

altjaeger
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:54 PM
I would collect the names, phone numbers, and email addrs of everyone living on your street. That way it is easy to communicate alarms, fears, etc. much faster than using mail.

AnotherRound
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:18 PM
I did have a neighbor who had 300 hardwood acres he didn't want anybody on and on the fences along the road he had no trespassing signs interspersed with these signs:

NO TRESSPASSING!
VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT!
SURVIVORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!

I always enjoyed those. Dunno if they were legal or not, but nobody told him to take them down.

JohnDeere
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:40 PM
Ive seen the last line as

Survivrs will be shot again!

webmistress32
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:56 PM
post a photograph of yourself with your favorite rifle near the gate.

indicate that you are watching the barn from the house.

katarine
Oct. 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
I got my last electric bill out and looked at the date of the next scheduled meter read, then called the electric company. Sure enough, my meter reader was here on the 21st and having seen her in the barn once before petting the horses (I was just getting out of the shower or I would have said something then), I'm certain that she was the trespasser. The electric company apologized and said that they would file a report with the meter reading company. The meter readers are not allowed to enter the structures where the meters are located. I feel sooooooo much better knowing it was someone who was at least on the property for a legitimate reason rather than just someone wandering through! That doesn't mean that I won't be posting signs around the perimeter and locking my tack room, but I think we'll wait on the video cameras for awhile :)

Glad it wasn't something sinister. My Fed Ex guy routinely hands out dog treats to my dogs, they just don't leave any evidence behind :)

equineartworks
Oct. 23, 2009, 05:54 PM
Glad it wasn't something sinister. My Fed Ex guy routinely hands out dog treats to my dogs, they just don't leave any evidence behind :)

My fedex guy throws things in the front yard and runs. The UPS guy rocks though...the dogs eagerly await brown's arrival :lol:

EqTrainer
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:01 PM
My fedex guy throws things in the front yard and runs. The UPS guy rocks though...the dogs eagerly await brown's arrival :lol:

This reminds me..

one day I heard a knock on the door - when I opened it, there was my UPS man w/all three of my dogs sitting in a line, eagerly awaiting his dog treats. So much for guarding the farm.. if you've got a milkbone, you can have take it all!

The propane man.. he's not as smart as the UPS man. I think they may actually get him sometime.

Calvincrowe
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:02 PM
My Airedale would not only meet the UPS man, but eagerly board the Big Brown Truck to enthusiastically approve of his boxes, his self, his lunch, his...treats!! He actually made it down the driveway with Mr. UPS Man once. That is embarrassing. What a watch dog he was:lol:

2ndyrgal
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:43 AM
Survivors will be violated.

WaningMoon
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:45 AM
My Airedale would not only meet the UPS man, but eagerly board the Big Brown Truck to enthusiastically approve of his boxes, his self, his lunch, his...treats!! He actually made it down the driveway with Mr. UPS Man once. That is embarrassing. What a watch dog he was:lol:

Our UPS guy learned to shut his truck door after one of the dogs jumped on board and then lifted his leg and pissed all over a big box. I wonder how he explained that one.

Equine Studies
Oct. 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
I boarded at a farm where they had a wooden sign in the barn with a 3-D wooden handgun on it and letters that said "We don't call 911". Hilarious. I wanted it so badly when they retired and sold the farm, but the wouldn't give it to me. They have it in their new barn. I still want one. Keeping in mind that the husband was my father's first cousin, and that family was a bunch of long time hillbilly farmers from "back north", the sign was just perfect.

FindersKeepers
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm glad to hear the visitor was discovered, and it was nothing sinister.

One sign that seems to work well as far as keeping people out of fields and away from the fenceline...we just hang sings every 3rd post that says "Caution, live wire to contain animals". We don't have hot wire... which further helps, because they can't locate it and are too scared to accidentally discover it.... This stopped the neighbor kids from wandering into the pasture, and kept their dad and hunting buddies out too.

Ghazzu
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:51 PM

How cool is that?

It'll play holy hell with your pasture, though.
Those tracks tear up sod.

x-rab
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
I am jealous of the tank. I always wanted a Half-track to drive when it snows around the Northern VA area so I could just drive over the idiots who enter the intersection when they can't clear it. Needless to say these idiots cause a lot of grid lock during snow storms. I could even make it out to ride my horse in the snow with a tank.

Tom King
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:22 PM
We always have had trouble with trespassers to our old abandoned rock quarry. There is about a 1/4 mile path that goes back in to it. There is about 2 acres of crystal clear water in it and it's a great swimming hole.

There are of course No Tresspassing signs up at the entrance where a chain is kept across. There are all sorts of creatlive ways to hide vehicles but everyone has to walk in there because of large boulders and the chain blocking the entrance. About half way down in there I have a sign that says, "Congratulations on being brave enough to get this far. Welcome to the game." The ground all around there is covered, on purpose, with all manner of thousands of empty bullet and shotgun shell casings. We haven't had much trouble since I did that. Especially after I gave the local law enforcers permission to go down in there for all the target practice they want and the shooting can be heard echoing out of there fairly often.

AnotherRound
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
TK - you are truly a weasle!!:cool:

JSwan
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:39 PM

When Mr. Goat was a kid I had to keep him in the back yard because a horse I boarded kept trying to chase him.

Mr. Goat would hang out on the back stairs all day - it was nice and shady.

The evil horse eventually left and Mr. Goat went to live in the pasture. A few weeks later there is a knock at my door - it was the meter reader asking if the goat was ok.

Turns out the meter reader would come and read the meter - which was located next to the stairs - and would pet Mr. Goat and give him treats. When Mr. Goat disappeared - the meter reader was worried something bad had happened.

FoxChaser
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:16 PM
Turns out the meter reader would come and read the meter - which was located next to the stairs - and would pet Mr. Goat and give him treats. When Mr. Goat disappeared - the meter reader was worried something bad had happened.

Okay, that got my "goat" :lol: I guess meter readers aren't all that bad!

hb
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:46 AM
My sister used to rent a small house on a horse property. One month her power bill jumped from about $75 to over $300. She called the power company and they said there must be a problem with the wiring in the hosue. The landlord had an electrician out. There didn't seem to be anything wrong.

The high bills continued for a couple of more months. She called and complained, asked them to reread the meter and they insisted that the reading was correct, and claimed that it had been read twice each month as she asked.

Then one month her bill was $5. No one she called was able to explain why.

The landlord was around one day when the meter reader came out. She said that there had been some route changing and for a few months their neighborhood had been assigned a meter reader who was afraid of horses, so would not approach the house. She was just guessing. When the bill dropped down to $5 that was because when the new reader came out the first time the meter was much less than the prior month's "reading".

The power company figured out what was going on, fired the person who was guessing (and lying about re-reading the meter) and was planning to just charge a minimum amount until the actual reading caught up to what was recorded. I called for my sister that time and wouldn't get off the phone until they agreed to give her a refund. It would have taken a year or so to make up the difference.

SarahandSam
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:41 AM
I boarded at a farm where they had a wooden sign in the barn with a 3-D wooden handgun on it and letters that said "We don't call 911". Hilarious. I wanted it so badly when they retired and sold the farm, but the wouldn't give it to me. They have it in their new barn. I still want one. Keeping in mind that the husband was my father's first cousin, and that family was a bunch of long time hillbilly farmers from "back north", the sign was just perfect.

I just saw that sign last night when looking through the catalog for Rod's... they definitely have it. (:

bf1
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:26 AM
SS - I just look at the Rod's catalog and couldn't find it - any help? Thanks.

FoxChaser
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:57 AM
Here's your sign: http://www.rods.com/WE-DONT-DIAL-911-METAL-WALL-ART,15385.html?sc=WCB&utm_source=Celebros&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Celebros

arabhorse2
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
I always like the one that said: Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. :lol:

Bluey
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:14 AM
I always like the one that said: Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. :lol:

Our attorney advised against that one, saying that there was a real possibility that we may have to shoot someone some day and we don't want to have the opposite attorney show premeditation with such signs hanging around.:eek:

Trespassers and the chance that you may have to shoot one if you feel threatened is a very serious situation to consider.:(

KnKShowmom
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:23 AM
I dreaded meter reading day because the idiots would fly in and out of my gravel driveway. Finally after my monthly call to complain, they told me that they do not have to physically read the meter - the meters for both our house and barn are now read from the end of our driveway - 1/4 mile away and through the woods.

Might be worth a call to your power company to see if they have that set up.

Bluey
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:30 AM
Meter readers don't only read the meters, they look at the seal, to be sure no one is tampering with them.
That is why they have to make some visual inspection of each meter, not just to read the numbers.

arabhorse2
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:31 AM
Our attorney advised against that one, saying that there was a real possibility that we may have to shoot someone some day and we don't want to have the opposite attorney show premeditation with such signs hanging around.:eek:

Trespassers and the chance that you may have to shoot one if you feel threatened is a very serious situation to consider.:(

Really? Well that stinks, but I'm not surprised in today's litigious, 'not my fault' society.

KnK, I've never had a meter reader show up. Apparently, our power company can read it without ever coming on site.

KnKShowmom
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure we have the same power company - AEP? They haven't set foot on my property in over 2 years except to hook up the barn last winter.

arabhorse2
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
Nope, I have Southside. But I do know AEP has a similar setup. :)

2foals
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:55 PM
FC, you may want to keep the video camera idea in mind... We don't live too far from you and we've had a lot of guys stopping by lately looking for work. I'm sure many of them are legit, but twice I have caught would be job seekers "snooping around."

JSwan
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:17 AM

(

You're supposed to take the sign down before you call 911. ;)

klmck63
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
We always have had trouble with trespassers to our old abandoned rock quarry. There is about a 1/4 mile path that goes back in to it. There is about 2 acres of crystal clear water in it and it's a great swimming hole.

There are of course No Tresspassing signs up at the entrance where a chain is kept across. There are all sorts of creatlive ways to hide vehicles but everyone has to walk in there because of large boulders and the chain blocking the entrance. About half way down in there I have a sign that says, "Congratulations on being brave enough to get this far. Welcome to the game." The ground all around there is covered, on purpose, with all manner of thousands of empty bullet and shotgun shell casings. We haven't had much trouble since I did that. Especially after I gave the local law enforcers permission to go down in there for all the target practice they want and the shooting can be heard echoing out of there fairly often.

That's fantastic! :lol: Have you read the story "The Most Dangerous Game"? It was the first thing that popped into my head when you said that.

Trespassers suck, in some ways I count myself lucky to be a boarder.

sissyfoo
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:11 PM

This has to be the most hysterically clever thing I have heard all year!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Mind if I pass this one along???