PDA

View Full Version : Looking for barn ideas

sunico
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you'll be able to help. I'm looking for ideas for when I build my 4-stall barn next summer, and I was wondering if any of you might be able to post some pics of your barn, and give a few pros and cons of the design?

Thank you!!!

dmalbone
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:00 PM
My blog has our barn pics and plans (one of the first posts) in it. We're doing two stalls right now (if you built them you'll fill them and I need to keep my husband :) ) but built it so there could be four.

mybeau1999
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
We just built a 3 stall bank barn w/ a wash stall (could be the 4th stall).

Here's a link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2079621&id=660536020 <-- goes from breaking ground to put up the fences.

(if you don't have facebook let me know - i can put the pics on photobucket or something)

dmalbone
Oct. 22, 2009, 02:36 PM

Here's a link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2079621&id=660536020 <-- goes from breaking ground to put up the fences.

(if you don't have facebook let me know - i can put the pics on photobucket or something)

Do you have the public link for your photos? I'd love to see them but refuse to get a facebook acct. :p There is a link that you can use where anyone will be able to see your photos regardless of whether they're "facebookers" or not.

saddleup
Oct. 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
I had a six stall barn built three years ago and I've been very happy with it. The main things I LOVE are the 16 feet wide aisle, the Nelson auto waterers and the skylights. It's light and bright and airy. I did a gable style barn with wide sliding doors on the north and south sides so you can drive right through, and the breeze here goes south to north usually, so it stays cool in the summer and in the winter when the wind reverses I can just shut it on the north end.

Pay attention to drainage and to the wind patterns. I had the land raised 2 feet before I built the barn, and I don't have mud to deal with around the barn.

Good luck. It was a lot of fun to dream it and then have it built. I went with Barnmaster and they did a fabulous job. I love my barn.

FoxChaser
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:37 PM
Check out my photos on my COMH page linked in my signature. We built a 4-stall barn with a wash stall, large tack room, and feed room last year. I LOVE my barn!!! My main piece of advice is that if you have a wash stall installed, be sure that you can see the slope to the drain with your own eyes. It needs to be that sloped. If not, it won't drain well (ask me how I know).

Sparky Boy
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:58 PM
Foxchaser, I LOVE your barn. My next barn, I want to be very similar to that one :)

mybeau1999
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:34 PM
Do you have the public link for your photos? I'd love to see them but refuse to get a facebook acct. :p There is a link that you can use where anyone will be able to see your photos regardless of whether they're "facebookers" or not.

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to do that. I'll upload them to photobucket tonight and then put that link on here :)

piccolopony
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:44 PM
My blog has our barn pics and plans (one of the first posts) in it. We're doing two stalls right now (if you built them you'll fill them and I need to keep my husband :) ) but built it so there could be four.

WOWOW, I've been having fun dreaming of a future barn. This is exactly what I had pictured in my head. :winkgrin:

dmalbone
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:01 PM
WOWOW, I've been having fun dreaming of a future barn. This is exactly what I had pictured in my head. :winkgrin:

Thanks... it's coming along slowly but surely! I'll have a few more pics tonight.

LisaB
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:56 PM
Mybeau! That's the barn I've been thinking about for us! Thanks for the pics. Who built it?

Gry2Yng
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:56 PM

OMG! I just had to post and tell you how much I LOVE YOUR BARN! I also have lots of topo on my property. What a beautiful idea! Hope you are enjoying it.

Foxchaser, you barn is GORGEOUS too! Where did you get your doors and grill work?

FoxChaser
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks Sparky Boy & Gry2Yng! I should take some more photos now that the wash stall is done & we're all moved into the tack room :) While I would never ever recommend my builder (had to have them rebuild as much as they built, and then there was the whole issue of having to have the roof redone & re-shingled... Ugh!), the welder who did all the doors & hayloft ladder was awesome. He has since gone out on his own and is terrific to work with and reasonably priced- Tom's Pro-Weld & C.E.P. out of Nicholasville, KY. He used to work for Lucas Equine :)

Sparky Boy
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:54 PM
We gutted and remodeled a barn on our property so we had to work with that footprint. It's 75x35. 8 stalls, feed room, tack room, monster sized hay loft. I think my favorite part is the walk-thru wash stall. Instead of enclosing it on 3 sides, we put a roll up door on the exterior so all summer we leave it up and the horses cross-tie looking out. Then in winter we keep the door closed and we cross-tie towards the aisle.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/Swansoncreek/DSC00216.jpg

mybeau1999
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:19 PM
Ok, here is a photobucket link to mine: http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae17/MyBeau1999/

LisaB, we have a friend who's a builder (I used to board with his daughter) and he did pretty much all of the work himself. His name is Tom Stebbins. He didn't do the excavation, concrete work, framing or roofing. But he did all of the electric, plumbing, built the stalls & cupola and tons of other things.

I'm enjoying it so much, it turned out much nicer than I thought it would :)