PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for boarding...

mlranchtx
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:31 PM
I am in the early planning stages of considering opening a boarding facility. Anyone have suggestions for boarding liability insurance? I contacted my homeowner's insurance co and, as I expected, they don't do anything with horses.

Feel free to PM if you would like to share a bad story with a particular company :)

For what it's worth, this will be a retirement/lay-up facility and probably no riding will be allowed on the property. We have plenty of acres but no arena for now.

SMF11
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
There are agencies that specialize in horses. They are WAY cheaper! (I too checked homeowner's first, and the quote was $1500/year. The horse agency was $500/year). I use Broadstone. The website is broadstoneequine.com. They were fast, professional, and cheap! The only negative I can say is that the first year, I got Care, Custody and Control insurance, and liability insurance for that $500 premium. The next year, I went to renew, and they told me my premium was now $1,000 because it was "a mistake" that I got both kinds of insurance for $500. Quite frankly, I do not believe that. Because I also do mostly retirement boarding I cancelled the care custody and control policy and only have liability.

So -- if a boarder's horse gets out on the road and injures someone, and that person sues me, I'm covered. But if the horse gets out on the road, and is injured and the owner sues me for the value of the horse, I'm not covered. It is a risk I am willing to take because the value of most horses on the farm is zero (28 year old unrideable (but sweet!) TB, for example).

Boomer
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
How do you decide what you need?

I take a couple of boarders to make ends meet, but have been thinking I really need some kind of insurance.

My current 3 boarder horses are owned by one lady - don't know what their values would be - two are for sure ridable (10 y.o and 24 yr old pony) the other I think is.

I do have an arena, so people can ride at my place. I have them sign a release and have signs posted.

lily04
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:47 PM
The farm my sister boards at requires the horse owners to carry liability on there own horses. Fair Hill Training Center and Delaware Park also require your own liability policy.

LauraKY
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:53 PM
If you're in an area with a Farm Bureau, they're great for small boarding farms. You can even include a limited amount of lessons. Very reasonable.

SMF11
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
If you're in an area with a Farm Bureau, they're great for small boarding farms. You can even include a limited amount of lessons. Very reasonable.

I've heard that, but sadly the Farm Bureau doesn't offer insurance in NY, so I guess it varies state by state.

coloredhorse
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:23 PM
If you are boarding others' horses, even on a small scale, you are taking on commercial-level liablity and need a good, solid CCC (care, custody and control) and commercial liability policy. Your regular homeowners won't touch it with a 20-foot pole! Generally, the outfits that offer good equine mortality and medical insurance also can help you with a commercial liability policy (or a personal one ... not a bad idea for any of us who keep our horses in our backyards, or even those who board). These policies are not cheap, but they are not unreasonably expensive either, and well worth the investment. This is an expense you will need to consider when setting your boarding rates.

Even the farms that require boarders to carry their own personal liability insurance (a wise move in our litigious society) still need to have (and probably do) their own commercial policies.

Cloverbarley
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:27 PM
I can't imagine running an equine barn and not having CCC and CEL insurance; you're very brave if you don't have it. For the OP, I personally wouldn't even consider running my business without commercial insurance and care, custody and control insurance. I really don't think it makes any difference as to whether you are planning to stay small or are hoping to run a busy barn, accidents can happen at any time and you really do need good insurance cover behind you.

I use a purely equine insurance company with $5 million coverage; you can have higher or lower cover rates depending on the type of business you run; some equine businesses have higher risks than others. My annual cost for this is thousands each year but boy does it give me good peace of mind.

Very best of luck with your new venture and I hope you will be very successful. :)

spotmenow
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:09 AM
I've heard that, but sadly the Farm Bureau doesn't offer insurance in NY, so I guess it varies state by state.

What??? We are in NYS and have to belong to the Farm Bureau in order to get our insurance through Farm Family, which is partnered with the FB...it was by far the least expensive and most comprehensive plan available. We pay about $2000 a year for home, barn, tractor, ATV, run-ins, hay, liability, and care/custody/control.

Most CCC policies cover the horses up to $5000 each; even so, our boarding contract states that horse and tack/equipment insurance is the responsibility of the horse owner. That is standard, from what I've read.

SMF11
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:21 AM
What??? We are in NYS and have to belong to the Farm Bureau in order to get our insurance through Farm Family, which is partnered with the FB...it was by far the least expensive and most comprehensive plan available. We pay about $2000 a year for home, barn, tractor, ATV, run-ins, hay, liability, and care/custody/control.

Most CCC policies cover the horses up to $5000 each; even so, our boarding contract states that horse and tack/equipment insurance is the responsibility of the horse owner. That is standard, from what I've read.

Wow, I'll have to look into it again! I joined the Farm Bureau several years ago in order to get cheap(er) insurance, but when I called they told me they didn't offer it (they referred me to some outside company that gave a very high quote (at this point, I cannot remember the company's name)).

spotmenow
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, I'll have to look into it again! I joined the Farm Bureau several years ago in order to get cheap(er) insurance, but when I called they told me they didn't offer it (they referred me to some outside company that gave a very high quote (at this point, I cannot remember the company's name)).

Go to the NYS Farm Bureau website and there is a link to Farm Family...they were lower than all the traditional equine companies. All the "regular" companies that do homeowners wouldn't touch us with a ten foot pole.