PDA

View Full Version : Jingles for my Mare

tlw
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks again for all the great recommendations for a vet to review my mare's suspensory issues. Unfortunately, Dr. Allen suspected DSLD, which was just confirmed by a nuchal ligament biopsy. I'm crushed. Anyway, for those of you out there who know my wonderful Cleveland Bay/Eng TB mare, Carolina Knock Out, here is my wholly insufficient tribute to her competitive career. I could never come close to putting into words what she means to me as a partner.

In the brief five years Carrie and I competed together I learned a lifetime of horsemanship. She adjusted from the English climate to that of south Louisiana and experienced Hurricane Katrina and never missed a step. Only two blips appear on her record, both my fault (senior moments I admit). She won 8 of her last 10 horse trials at training level (a 2d and 5th in the other two on her dressage score) and finished 2d in her only prelim/training horse trial. In 2008 she finished all her horse trials on her dressage score and ended up 8th on the USEA's Leaderboard. In our short time together, she won 4 national championships from the Cleveland Bay Horse Society of North America (in versatility and eventing) and twice won its Apple of my Eye award (top CB mare in the country), a USDF all breed award at 3d level and 2 Performance Horse Registry Silver Stirrup national championships in eventing. She also won numerous regional and local awards in both eventing and dressage. Carrie is truly a horse of a lifetime. I will cherish whatever time I have left with her and she will know how much she is loved every moment of every day.

LovinRocky
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:09 PM
Gee...I have been brought to tears too many times today. I am so sorry for your sad news. You and Carrie will be in my prayers, for strength to you both. Truckloads of jingles........

katG
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm so sorry. It sounds like it was an amazing partnership. I will keep you in my prayers.

hookedoneventing
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
I am so very sorry....thinking of you through this hard time.

jumpsnake
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:38 PM
Wow, I am really sorry to hear your story. Many jingles for you and your wonderful mare.

frugalannie
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
Oh tlw, I'm so very sorry to hear this. You two have a remarkable partnership, and reading about your experiences truly awed me.

Jingling for you both, and hope you have more stories to tell us. Any pics?

beaulilly
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear that news. I also had a mare with DSLD. :no:

Fred
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:56 AM
adding my jingles, and most sympathetic and healing thoughts for you and your wonderful mare.
take care,
Gail

CookiePony
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:25 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. It sounds like you and she have created some wonderful memories together.

LLDM
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:56 AM
So sorry to hear this. What a wonder run you two had. And it sounds like you two will remain committed through out. In my mind these are the real eventing stories - the ones that make eventing great, that make real horsemanship lessons.

SCFarm

horsetales
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry the news was not better. I also have a DSLD gelding, so I know the pain when you get the news.

tja789
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
Jingles from NY. She sounds like a fabulous horse and what a successful partnership you two had for five years.

clivers
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
Jingles and kind thoughts. She sounds like such a wonderful girl!

Lori T
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:41 PM
What a wonderful partnership. We retired my daughter's mare last year rather unexpectedly and we continue to treat her as the Queen of the barn. It took her some time to accept her retirement, but she did and she is enjoying herself!