PDA

View Full Version : 6 horse head to head trailers

winfieldfarm
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
I am starting the shopping search for one. I want the versatility of the horse stall configuration.

Went to Congress and here is the short of it.

Bloomer - never got to see a 6h and the guy never got me the quote but I have been told they are a pricey pretty trailer.

Exiss / Sooner - these guys were bashing every other brand out there. Kingpin is way overkill and floors are extruded planks, very sturdy.

Four Star - Saw a 2008 with rusty bolts already! Had Wurm floor which was interesting.

Keifer - junk...

Featherlight - also very underconstructed. Not impressed.

Hart - fit and finish was terrible inside and out. Workmanship was so bad on these trailers. Had that honeycomb plastic ceiling but the way the aluminum ceilings are being stretched on, I don't think I have to worry about noise flexing like the old days.

Elite - now this trailer really stood out over all the rest. It was like a piece of art! The design was good, welds were perfect. Dealer was not a hard sell at all, which was a change of pace. I wasn't too thrilled about the floor construction, ibeams 12 inches on center with aluminum overlay. Afraid the floor will cup badly between ibeams over time.

My requirements: rear ramp and removable dividers to transport carriages in rear.
Must be quiet travel, no rattley dividers or flexing ceilings
Rear wheel wells must be ahead of horse dividers, not under the outside horses' feet
Side ramp for access
Able to put dividers from 6 horse to 4 horse to box stalls.
Sound construction
No less than a 4 foot tack - no carpet, no fancy s*%#. Some saddle racks and hooks but that's it. I want to cram lots of stuff in it.( I have a motor home, don't want a living quarters.)
Roof mount hay rack.
electric/hydraulic brakes
big axles, big tires

Windows, not picky just simple for air flow
Floor, mats or Wurm, I tkae care of my trailers so rot is not an issue

Give me your good bad and ugly, head to head owners.

Lostboy
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:50 AM
Think Nancy Whitehead in Chicago has one.. call her to find the brand..it was nice,iirc

katlee
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:51 AM
When I was working as a groom, I drove the barn's 6 horse head to head to transport the owner's horses and loved it. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 4h head to head in the next couple years for my personal horses. I can't remember the make of the one I hauled but I'll check some pictures.

The removable dividers were a pain in the ass. The stalls were pretty generous, but a draft would probably be a tight fit. We had a pretty standard tack room w/o living quarters and it was a tight fit putting supplies for 6 horses...I became a tetrus master.

I loved the versatility of the head to head. I never had a horse that didn't like that trailer, once I figured out where they wanted to travel. Being able to have the side ramp open helped with some hard-to-load types. My favorite feature was being able to unload the horses in whatever order I wanted. We had a very large warmblood jumper who because of his size needed to travel in the front center stall but he didn't stand well in the trailer. With the head to head, I could unload him first and keep him from getting worked up- which was a huge help when there were only two of us.

sixpoundfarm
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:57 AM
I would love a 4Horse head to head.
I have liked the look of the Hawk's, and I hear Jamco makes a sweet ride too. I have a Dreamcoach currently and its pretty good. Turnbow's have always interested me too.

Carrera
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:37 AM
I worked for a guy that had the Jamco 6 horse. Great trailer! Easy to use and I found that there was a lot of space in the tack room.

katlee
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
forgot...the owner of the farm had mentioned to me that their first 6H head to head (i think it was a Sundowner...) had tire wells that affected the stall space. I don't remember exactly what the placement was but a horse slipped and fell and they felt it was related to that issue. They had traded that trailer for the one I drove because it had better wheel placement

DiablosHalo
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
What area are you in? I just saw a 6H Bloomer online for sale and know of an Adam 6H nearby. I have had 4 brand new Adams in past 9 years- they hold up well (one trailer had over 100k miles on it in 18m with no major issues!). Priced right also.

Jumphigh83
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:52 PM
If I had to do it all over again, I would get a Four Star or a Jamco....I would rather have root canals in ALL of my teeth without Novocaine than buy another Exiss. :eek::yes:

winfieldfarm
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:56 PM
Jumphigh - what didn't you like about the Exiss?

Diablo - I am in Northeast Ohio. I don't know anything about the Adam line but have been told they aren't made well. What do you like about yours.

And with regards to everyone loving them so much. Then why don't more people use them instead of slants?

RegentLion
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:14 PM
Pegasus makes head to head horse trailers. We stopped in at the factory a few years ago and everyone was very friendly.

I don't know for sure if they can be pulled with a pickup truck (we have a few semis) but I THINK they can. The guy that we talked to was not a sales rep but one of the builders... and he said they were very customizable.

http://www.pegasusvans.com/

RegentLion
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
And with regards to everyone loving them so much. Then why don't more people use them instead of slants?

I think slants are more readily available and you can fit more horses in less trailer length --so more room for LQ should you want them-- and easier to drive for people not as comfortable with driving a long rig.

Some people feel horses travel better in a slant.

While I currently have a 4 horse Exiss slant, I'd love to get a 4 horse head to head with a small LQ but that is a long time in the future yet!

cssutton
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have been impressed with the Eby.

Anyone have one?

As for why don't more people have head to head: I have a 4 horse slant.

Every now and then I get interested in a head to head. But then I think about the gates that I can barely get into because of the narrow roads and lack of room to swing the trailer, backing it into narrow roads to turn around at night (I hunt my own hounds and am out late at night getting hounds up) and I think of how hard it would be to turn a trailer 6' longer around in the dark....

I can drive anything, but if it won't fit, no one can drive it.

So think about how you will use it and where you will use it.

For show horses, head to head is the only way. For hunting, length is a factor because of the narrow farm roads, gates, etc.

CSSJR

Grataan
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:21 AM
I have a client with the 6h head to head...what brand...very popular with eventers (they make the 2+1 also) shoot. I can't remember what brand. I'll give her a call tomorrow. Anyway, it is very nice, quiet, versatile, etc. HAWK! I think it's a Hawk. Like this one

http://www.hawktrailers.com/specs.asp?id=30

Its hard to see from the picture but in hers the axles are like you described-just in front of the dividers (not underfoot) I'm thinking hard about a hawk trailer for my next one (I've got an older Silverado)

IslandGirl
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:06 AM
I bought a Four Star 4/5 horse head to head in January and I LOVE it. Had (and sold) a four-horse slant with HUGE (15') living quarters, and will NEVER EVER have another slant load trailer. The head to head is amazing, easy to work out of, and has a lot of center room. I have a rear and side ramp, and wouldn't do without either.

I opted for the slightly more-narrow 4/5-horse instead of the 6-horse; my LQ trailer was 102" wide, and I didn't like it. You'll have to go with a longer trailer to get the wheel wells ahead of the "stall" area. With a six-horse, the wells have to be mostly in the inside of the trailer; 6-horse trailers usually are 96" or 102" wide.

Elite makes a nice trailer but, If I remember correctly, they went out of business (or filed bankruptcy) late last year. I believe Elite was an offshoot started by some of the original 4-Star people. I also have a Hawk two-horse that's 9 years old and still in very good condition.

I will only buy a Four-Star or Hawk again, and recommend either to anyone interested in buying a trailer.

Make sure you get PLENTY of windows and doors; the more the better. Trailers can get HOT in the summer, and you (and your horses) will be happy to have the extra ventilation.

Check out some of the trailers on horsetrailerworld.com . You'll get a REALLY good idea of going rates of both used and new trailers, and you can narrow your search down pretty easily.

Good luck!

lauriep
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:12 AM
Why anyone would want a slant is beyond me. 4-6 head to heads are SO easy to work out of, load, unload. As for brands, Hawk and 4 Star would get my vote. I have an elderly Trail-et that I love, but it is my understanding that the older ones were made by the people who now make Hawks.

Just remember that a 6 horse will have slightly narrower stalls then a 4 horse. That can be an issue for some horses.

Trying
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:21 AM
Can't say enough good things about Hawk trailers. They go down the street or accross the country and the horses are happy. Mine would lie down, kick and scream about going in and then i got the Hawk and the just walk in ad ride in comfort and come out ready to go.

winfieldfarm
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:39 AM
I don't know if Elite filed but they aren't out of business.

Hawk, Jamco, Eby none of these manufacturers were at Congress so I will hunt them down and look at them before making a choice.

I understand the issue of Hunting versus showing. But it is interesting that the overwhelming majority of head to head owners LOVE them. Let's start a revolution!

What about floor construction - and this goes for any trailer? Anyone have a floor desigd fail them? I am worried about the cupping that occurs int he flat alum floors laid over ibeams. The alum stretches and sags between the ibeams over time. Is this critical?

IslandGirl
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:48 AM
I believe most larger trailers have aluminum floors nowadays because of weight issues. My 2-horse Hawk has wood over a steel frame, but I don't know how Hawk constructs its larger trailers. I know Exiss has a different flooring than other manufacturers (extruded aluminum?), but I don't think it's worked well. I wouldn't be too concerned about an aluminum floor, especially if you go for the WERM flooring, which is supposed to keep caustic elements (such as urine and poo) from penetrating to the floor.

Home Again Farm
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have owned a 4 Star head to head since 2003. It is the best trailer I have ever owned and is holding up beautifully. I have the pour in flooring - no mats to pull. It has rear doors with a ramp, side ramp, air ride suspension, changeable stalls (can go from standing to box stalls). It is solid, great to pull, stable and comfortable for the horses.

eventrider
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:54 PM
I currently have a 6 horse head to head Trail-et Silver Shadow custom made. The trailer brand new is under 30k and I LOVE it! I had a 4 horse head to head Trail-et before and I cant say enough good things about them. Mine is convertable to a 4 horse or box stalls and has 2 side ramps and a rear step up. The wheel wells are in front of the rear horses as well. We did have to have extra ventilation on the roof vents added, because 6 horses create a lot of heat. I will never own a slant load for all of the reasons stated above. I can't say enough good things about Trail-et or the 6 horse head to head. I pull it with a 350 dually and have no problems. We also almost always take 6 horses and there is room for all our tack, etc.

Christan

Renae
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:26 PM
My boss hauls with a 30+ year old Sooner 6 horse head to head (that we regualrly haul 7 horses in, 1 in the center aisle). We love that trailer! It is hauled by a '95 Ford F350 and has been for the last 14 years.

jumpjesterjump
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
one of the farms i worked with had a 8 Horse Custom Sundowner, 6 head to head and two standing the width of the trailer (semi slantish). And the other farm i worked for had a Eby 4 horse, 3 facing the rear and one box stall. they also had a Eby 6 horse head to head, that could be made into 3 box stalls (if i recall correctly). In the area that i am in there are a lot of carriage people and the seem to be drawn to the Eby and Jamco trailers.

If i had horses still and had the money, i would buy a Eby they are nice! and the tack room is big enough to fit everything you need in it with out being huge. They are also very customizable, so you can make it fit to your needs not the cookie cutter of what everyone wants.

RU2U
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
Akron CL - 10 horse Jamco take a look - prob. work for what you want and priced right at $25,000