PDA

View Full Version : Flies in my car

SharonA
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:29 PM
Why, why, why do the flies end up in my car when I'm at the barn? Explain to me why, when they have all the space in the world, the flies choose to find their way in through my two open windows and hang out in the back of my minivan? Also, since they are so good at finding their way in, why is it that they cannot find their way out again? Even if I open the side doors, the stupid flies fly out, then fly back in.

Disgusting though my minivan is (I'm not sure which child may have dropped what food or drink in it lately), I don't see the attraction for flies who have all that horse poop just few seconds' flight away.

SevenDogs
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hmmm... not that I want to be the fly expert but.... flies like hot, still air which they find in your car. They don't fly out because they actually like it in there. Spoken from someone who has actually transported flies from one county to another unwillingly! ;)

I roll up my windows now and deal with the stuffiness when I get back in.

SkipChange
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:11 AM
I crack my windows just a hair to let out the heat and usually if I don't open them too much they don't get in.

I just let the suckers die if they can't find their way out.

ontarget
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:22 AM
Ugh! Those flies drive me nuts! I never even roll down my windows, and I have three in my car right now. They especially drive me nuts when I'm on those long driving trips, and they insist on trying to bite me on the head, ignoring my efforts to shoo them out the window. I get random flies in my room, too, even though all the windows are closed. There are never any flies in the rest of the house, and my door is always closed, but they appear randomly. :confused:

I mean, I do spend a lot of the time at the barn, but I can't smell so bad that the flies follow me home! I do shower, I promise! (And my room is freezing because the heater is broken!)

Go Fish
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:43 AM
Get on the freeway and drive about 80 MPH with all the windows down. They'll get sucked right out.

Fixerupper
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:05 AM
Get on the freeway and drive about 80 MPH with all the windows down. They'll get sucked right out.

As if :lol:

I've had them on my windshield (outside) at 80mph and they just flutter their little fly wings...tough buggers!

I often wonder what people think when I'm stopped at a light and I'm flailing away at them with all my windows open!!!
They just hunker down and wait for the light to change

:lol: :lol:

DebbieB
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:06 AM
I carry a fly swatter (on the dash for easy access), to kill the ones on the passenger seat.
To get the constantly circling flies out the window I leave the back driver's side window down about 3-6 inches and when they fly by the driver's side front window I open it a little bit and they are sucked out. Only opening the front window just pushes them back in. If all the windows are open they lay low until the windows are closed again.
I don't have anything better to do on long drives than to study aerodynamics as related to fly populations in my vehicle.

Fixerupper
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:12 AM
As a professor of mine used to say...
Sounds like a good 'Masters' project for someone :lol: :lol:

SharonA
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well, I am glad to know that others understand my pain. Right now, the minivan is parked in the driveway with every possible door and window wide open. We'll see what the population is when I get back in --- and drive to the barn where I'll probably pick up a few new ones. :-)

sisu27
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:24 AM
AHHhh! I hate that. I always leave my windows down as I usually have at least 1 dog with me and we usually spend the ride home with the windows down and me swatting and yelling "OUT $HITFLIES!!!".

Ya gotta crack the window and drive fast. Even then, they still find somewhere to hide and hang on until you think they are all gone and your windows are up to make an appearance. Little bastards.

Mozart
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:35 AM
Why, why, why do the flies end up in my car when I'm at the barn? Explain to me why, when they have all the space in the world, the flies choose to find their way in through my two open windows and hang out in the back of my minivan? Also, since they are so good at finding their way in, why is it that they cannot find their way out again? Even if I open the side doors, the stupid flies fly out, then fly back in.

Disgusting though my minivan is (I'm not sure which child may have dropped what food or drink in it lately), I don't see the attraction for flies who have all that horse poop just few seconds' flight away.

I believe our mini vans are twins....
I don't even have my windows open at the barn and they still get in. Mine seem to survive for a long time, sustained, no doubt, by the food dropped by my child.

We also have a big mosquito season, this summer we made "Quick get into the van! CLOSE THE DOOR" into an Olympic sport. Mosquitoes are worse, if you kill them you get sqashed mosquito on the inside of your windshield, if you don't kill them they bite your ankles while you are driving on the highway at high speed.

SGray
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
house flies.....stable flies.....whatever

my vehicles attract horseflies

SuperSTB
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:48 PM
I keep the windows up on new truck- old truck I didn't seem to care, flies just added to the ambiance. The big blue "fly-o-quarium". I kept a thing of lysol wipes to clean off the steering wheel and dash.

Nasty, nasty flies leaving their little fly poo spots everywhere.

Alagirl
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
The thread title made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnhtTXJOJxE

I know, not even marginally helpful... :lol:

kmw2707
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
You are not alone. I thought I got smart last summer and bought a convertible. They still manage to hang on when the top is down though.

Arizona DQ
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hubby and I bought a very OLD truck years ago. The inside top of the cab was bare metal. He thought someone had exploded a can of coke in the cab and was shocked and amazed when I told him it was Fly S***... He did not kow they can S*** upside down.... :lol:

I cannot wait for winter when all these darned things DIE!

lily04
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:58 PM
I turn the AC on full blast and freeze them out of my truck.

SarahandSam
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
I just keep all my windows up at the barn now, even on hot summer days. The annoyance of a fly (or worse, a bee!) flying into my face as I drive is better than the stuffiness!

I once wrote a poem called "The Flies That Come To Die In My Van."

twofatponies
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:44 PM
They do that in our car too! Darn things. And then they always manage to follow us up to the house and I have to spend the day watching for opportunities to kill them.

Lady Counselor
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:06 PM
:lol:
I hate that! Once they are in, they are almost impossible to completely evict.
And there's nothing more annoying than having the last one start buzzing back and forth across your field of vision while you are driving...

CatOnLap
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:44 PM
maybe try cleaning your vehicle regularly?

seems your minivan is well "baited" with old food, and I-don't-even-want-to-know-what-else. As they say, you catch more flies with sugar...*

My car and truck are routinely parked next to my barn and we do not collect flies in there. Don't get me started about August in the farm house though.

*OK, here's the thing about that old saying- "you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar"- if you have a problem with fruit flies in your kitchen, pour a little rice wine vinegar in a small bowl and add a few drops of dish soap. The flies are actually attracted to the vinegar, but the soap makes them sink into it and drown when they land for a taste. I have been catching at least 2-3 dozen a night this way and the fruit fly problem is way less than it was last week. Oh yeah. I also cleaned the kitchen...

kookicat
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'll trade you flies for moths. Those I can't stand. -shudder-

I almost killed myself last autumn because one crawled up the back of my neck and got stuck in my hair while I was driving. Honestly- I was that freaked out by the huge, evil creature in my hair that I jammed my truck on the verge and barely noticed it. Good job I wasn't going fast! I ended up cutting a chunk out of the back of my hair to get rid of the bugger. :dead: Well, I couldn't -touch- it. :dead:

Alagirl
Oct. 23, 2009, 07:13 PM
*OK, here's the thing about that old saying- "you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar"- if you have a problem with fruit flies in your kitchen, pour a little rice wine vinegar in a small bowl and add a few drops of dish soap. The flies are actually attracted to the vinegar, but the soap makes them sink into it and drown when they land for a taste. I have been catching at least 2-3 dozen a night this way and the fruit fly problem is way less than it was last week. Oh yeah. I also cleaned the kitchen...

AWESOME!

now, if you have something against spiders, I am all ears...

Peggy
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:53 PM
I figure that I have contributed much to the genetic diversity of the fly population in the greater Los Angeles area over the years by moving them between the barn, home and work.

This summer there was much excitement (at least among certain human populations) in the OC about a New Beetle which was also present in large numbers at our barn, tho it's not in the OC. We even had a biodiversity prof from UCI come out to the barn to observe and collect "our" beetles. Seriously! In any event, I probably threw all sorts of stuff out of whack by "introducing" them to Torrance via my car. A few also made their way to Norco.

CatOnLap
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:05 PM
Alagirl- I like spiders. I keep them as pets in the corners of my windows.

I had this cool old window- it was a storm pane, then about an inch of space, then the regular window. A big old spider got in there and built her tunnels and ramps and webs and amused me most of the winter with her antics. Kind of like having my own ant farm. She shed her skin several times and left the spider ghosts as well as her .,little garbage packages, in out of the way spots on the network she built. In the spring I took the storm window off and thousands of tiny baby spiders let fly on goassamer threads.

They do creep me out in the bathroom though, as there always seems to be a great big one living in the drain who comes out during showers. Those ones I catch and release outside.

Alagirl
Oct. 24, 2009, 02:54 PM
Alagirl- I like spiders. I keep them as pets in the corners of my windows.

I had this cool old window- it was a storm pane, then about an inch of space, then the regular window. A big old spider got in there and built her tunnels and ramps and webs and amused me most of the winter with her antics. Kind of like having my own ant farm. She shed her skin several times and left the spider ghosts as well as her .,little garbage packages, in out of the way spots on the network she built. In the spring I took the storm window off and thousands of tiny baby spiders let fly on goassamer threads.

They do creep me out in the bathroom though, as there always seems to be a great big one living in the drain who comes out during showers. Those ones I catch and release outside.

I would not mind them in the stormwindow section but they are all over the place and it seems that everytime I remove cobwebs they spawn 10 times as many. :no: