PDA

View Full Version : Fencing costs....

knightrider
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:13 PM
Curious how much fencing costs...client is looking at a house - 10 acres...with probably only an acre and a half or so fenced...they want the entire thing fenced with the house surrounded by the pasture...any idea of a ballpark estimate on that? How hard is it to do it yourself? Its a single woman with kids and not a ton of money...she has friends though willing to help....would love to hear ballpark costs for a company to do it vs. buying the materials, tools and doing it with help...
Thanks!

SMF11
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
Fencing is REALLY expensive, unless I guess you go with electric. I still found that to be not cheap (about $3,000 to fence 11 acres). If she wants "nice" fencing (3 or 4 board, and/or no-climb) the price goes on up. I'm in an expensive area (north of NYC), and to fence a three acre field w/no climb, locust posts and an oak board on top cost $10,000 doing it with our own equipment but some hired labor.

I don't think you would want to be putting in your own posts -- to do it by hand would be soul-destroying on that much land (at least for me!) and to buy a tractor and auger defeats the saving money purpose. Probably the best bet would be to get several quotes from reputable fencing companies. It would be in quickly, and done right.

Cloverbarley
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
How long is a piece of string ...

No-one can give you a definitive price on fencing because there are so many variables ie. what type of fencing wanted dictates how many fence posts you need and what type of wood do they want the fence posts made out of, and how thick do they want the fence posts, what type of ground do they have, that will dictate how the posts are put in the ground. Etc, etc.

Sorry but much more info would be required for anyone to give any sort of ballpark figure.

LisaO
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
When we build post and board fences, it costs us about $7.00/linear foot. That is doing all labor ourselves, using 8' x 6" treated posts, and 4 rails of treated 2 x 6 boards. I really like vinyl fencing, but can't can't give you the figures off the top of my head. Call Ramm fence. They have lots of fencing options and price ranges (also, I think they publish some price ranges on line if I'm not mistaken).

YankeeLawyer
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:49 PM
We fenced the perimeter of an area that is 12 acres and cross fenced in 3-board oak fencing to make 4 separate paddocks surrounding the barns and house. The cost of the fencing was in excess of 72K, and that was at a price of $6.00 / linear foot for 3-board oak painted black with 3/4 round posts. That is a really good price on that kind of fencing in my area. It would likely be a lot cheaper to do it yourself. I believe the hardest part is setting the posts because you do have to at least have a good auger (our fencing people have a machine that pounds the posts into the ground). So you might try getting quotes for the cost of putting in posts only (to see if it is worth putting the boards up yourself) as well as quotes for the complete job.

An economical and safe fencing option is Horseguard, and you can install that yourself with relative ease. I personally would want a more solid perimeter fence, ideally, but I think Horseguard is an especially good option for cross-fencing.

arizona101
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:50 PM
Ramm Fence is having a sale right now thru October 31! We just ordered some and after maintaining wood fences I can promise you we will never buy anything else but Ramm. We put some up a few years ago and have not had to touch it once as far as maintinance ever since and I cannot say the same about the wood or no climb fence I have. I love it! Oh and 3 of us girls at the barn put in a whole fenceline by ourselves, not hard and we were so proud!

shakeytails
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
If you're talking board or woven wire fence, just pay somebody. Posts are a bear to dig by hand, and they're not much fun with an auger, either. Post drivers are expensive and dangerous, and usually can't be rented because of the liability.

That said, we put up our own fence, using the auger on the tractor to drill post holes. Figure $6-8 for each post. If using boards, they must be set 8' apart. That's $1/ft. We've put some posts at 12', but that's using high-tensile woven wire fencing. I think I can still get rough-cut 16' boards for about $8. So that's at least another $1.50/ft. Last time I checked (quite a while back), treated 16' fence boards were about $12, if you can find them. I use a lot of high-tensile woven wire because it comes in 330' rolls and is fairly inexpensive (<$1/ft) compared to horse guard fence in 100' rolls with the itty-bitty openings that's like $2/ft. I don't recommend high-tensile woven wire because it's hard to install without stretchers and whatnot.

Electric can be quite inexpensive. I always use wood corner posts and if it's a long stretch, I'll put in a couple of wood line posts as well so I can keep the fence tight. Step in posts are cheap and easy to use for the rest of the line posts. Four or five strands of electric don't look too shabby either. For electric around my pond, I covered old t-posts with PVC pipe for a nicer appearance. While I wouldn't rely on electric rope, tape or twine for my youngsters or stallions, it works fine for the rest of the gang- heck I graze old mares on the lawn behind a single strand that's not even turned on.

LisaO
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
We have bought a TON of fencing from Ramm...started with electric tape as it was relatively inexpensive. In our drought-prone climate we have a tough time keeping the grounding rods moist enough. We switched to vinyl (except in a few areas where we use post and board) and LOVE it. It is a bear to work with the large 660' x 5" (or is it 5.25...not sure) rolls, but well worth the effort. We even had a large tree fall on our fence and the vinyl (with three strands of steel running through it) was absolutely unscathed. The fence post itself broke below the ground, but the rails remained intact and functional. We couldn't believe how tough this was. Our first vinyl trial is about 5 yrs old now and it looks brand new (even in the brutal south Texas sun). No fading, no discernible mildew, nothin'. We are slowly replacing all our fence with vinyl. A bit pricey, perhaps, but long lasting, good looking and most importantly - horse safe!

ReSomething
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:36 AM
Well, fencing just varies so widely in cost depending on your location and what you put up.

Even though KY is full of beautiful TB farms with diamond mesh or 4 board, the common man uses barbed wire and strings it from tree to tree. Not really into that, the barbed wire part anyway.

The neighbor had 700' + of fence installed for $3500,( just in labor as he already had the materials), which consisted of drilling holes in rocky soil, installing wooden posts and one gate, stretching high tensile cattle mesh with a barbed top wire and finishing the post ends (cutting them off on the diagonal, and tossing them onto our property:rolleyes:). The bulk of that price was in drilling the postholes, I think.

Tposts are more forgiving in our rocky soil and so is electric, we put up about the same distance of electric fence to keep the deer out and the only cost was materials and our time. Not as tough or as pretty. Not what I would want for a perimeter fence, really, but beats nothing.

Best advice I can give is get estimates and price materials in your area.

2DogsFarm
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:40 AM
Like Cloverbarley said - there are too many variables to even give you a ballpark estimate.
What kind of fencing?
How skilled are the friends? How familiar are those friends with putting up fencing? For livestock?

I had neither time nor skill nor enough friends when I moved to my farmette so professional was the only way to go.
Five years ago it cost me over $10K to have 2 pastures - 3ac total - fenced with 6" treated round posts spaced @ 12' & set in cement, vinyl top rail with 2 wires embedded & 3 rows of coated tensile wire beneath.
Top wire can carry a charge, but so far I haven't electrified it, so no charger is included in that cost.
The upside is everything looks brand new today. I have had to replace one post that cracked below ground & had to restring a line of wire in each field - due to my horses poking their heads outside for the "good" grass.

In hindsight, I wish I had done the perimeter fencing your client is wanting. Less mowing, more pasture & I could have stretched the budget at that time. Now, not so much :(

knightrider
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks all....guess I should have specified that she wants 3 board....will give her the recommendations for Ramm though....

Wow YankeeLawyer...that was expensive! What an eye opener this is....

I know she wouldn't be able to handle the machinery and have no idea how knowledgable her labor is....I was hoping my contractor friend would lend his laborers to her as they did all of the fencing on his farm....

This may change things for her as I don't think she thought the fencing was that expensive....it will be interesting to see how she manages it...

Las Olas
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:57 AM
I just had my fencing redone at my farm in Ocala. It was $4.75/ft for 4 board plank, painted with black Lexington paint. Pine boards (oak doesn't work well in FL) with 6" 8ft round posts.

Yankee's was so expensive because they used oak, which IMO is the best way to go (depending on where you live). Oak boards hold up much better and are harder for the horses to chew on then a poplar type of board.

Where is your client located? They just finished my fence, so my old posts are piled up here. If she's in the area, she can have them.

DLee
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:05 AM
When we fenced this place three years ago we paid $5/foot for four board oak fence, including paint. I think we got a great deal from some fabulous fence guys (Dennis Fence).

BasqueMom
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:36 AM
Again, it all depends on what type of fencing, what she's trying to contain and/or keep out. 10 acres perfectly square in shape is 2640 linear feet and then you need to add cross fencing.

There are a ton of variables....getting estimates is probably her best way to go. Good fencing adds to the value of a property, save a ton on vet bills and let the owner sleep nights knowing their horses are safely contained and not bopping down a road.

Many companies are having sales right now....

knightrider
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
so do you have any good fence company referrals for Loudoun County, VA that I can forward on to her? We are not ready to go to closing and she's compiling her costs at the moment....forgot to mention that there is about an acre or so fenced already with a shed....the previous owners used electric tape for the field and apparently their horses were fine with it...personally, I didn't want to suggest electric as my experience has not been good with it but I do know others have success.

YankeeLawyer
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:50 PM
so do you have any good fence company referrals for Loudoun County, VA that I can forward on to her? We are not ready to go to closing and she's compiling her costs at the moment....forgot to mention that there is about an acre or so fenced already with a shed....the previous owners used electric tape for the field and apparently their horses were fine with it...personally, I didn't want to suggest electric as my experience has not been good with it but I do know others have success.

I have two..

George White Fencing in Middleburg. http://www.georgewhitefencing.com/
They did my fencing and are FABULOUS. Really top notch service, quality, and they are fast. You might be able to get a better price now because the economy stinks and the price of wood is down from when I did mine - but I have no idea. When we did our fence I got 6 quotes; George White was the fanciest of the companies yet came in as the second lowest price. In other words, they tend to be pretty competitive.

Donnie Ulmer is also good. He is based in Lovettsville. His number is 540 821 4181. He does Centaur fencing (which is like Ramm but some people prefer Centaur) and also is a wizard when it comes to any kind of electric fencing and fence chargers. He has a large farm of his own and is a career farmer and all-around very helpful person to know.

SaddleFitterVA
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
Jack at Virginia Fence Company is who I used.

My fence is 5 years old. In 2004 I paid $4.50/linear foot, I have nearly 5000 feet of fence (by the time I painted it was $25K). This fenced about 12 acres.

Oh, 3 board, oak, on 6" 1/2 round posts. Most on 7' centers as there was a shortage on 16' boards when he put it in.

Jack has fences around that are 30 years old, so with proper maintenance, that is about the life expectancy of good board fence.

540-554-8357.

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:02 AM
I can't remember the price/foot but my BO fenced in the property plus redid the pastures with 4 board oak painted black with that special paint. Penrod (http://www.penrodfence.com/prod01.htm) came up from KY to do it. We have 4 big pastures with no common fence lines and rounded corners plus the perimeter fence. The whole place is 15 acres and the pastures probably take up 10 of those acres. It was $45K total I believe and from some of the prices listed on here it seems like a steal!

knightrider
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone...I've forwarded your info on to her!

deltawave
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:13 PM
Cost will vary hugely depending on the style of fence, how much labor is DIY and how much is hired, and whether or not there is any prep work to be done. It will also vary depending on how many corners, undulations, gates and changes of direction the fences need to have/make.

For a price point, I put in 3 paddocks using Electrobraid, one is 1/2 acre, one is 2+ acres, one is 4+ acres. Except for the large paddock (we had the poles sunk professionally) my husband and I did it all ourselves, and really that means I did everything but hubby helped sink the posts in the 2 paddocks we did solo. It probably cost us right around $6K, not including getting the one paddock's posts set, to do those 3 paddocks. That includes gates, concrete for corner posts, chargers, grounding, etc. etc. But it was a good bit of labor--I'm going to ballpark 50 man-hours (well, mostly woman-hours) of work, very little of it truly physical, just tedious. This includes setting posts, cross posts and braces, screwing in insulators, stringing the rope, hooking up the wires, sinking ground rods, hanging gates, tightening, etc.

So we put in a lot of fence for not a lot of money, and it's good, sturdy, safe fencing. But it was a lot of labor. I enjoyed it, other than the time I lost my footing on the short ladder and fell, with the T-post driver landing right on my head. :dead: Ow! :lol:

FatPalomino
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
Wow. I'm in the process of putting in some more paddocks. I have someone pound the posts (4" round treated) in, and I put up the 3 rail pine wood planks (1"x6"x 16') myself. Oak isn't reasonable for what we're doing, but I do get the wood straight from the lumber yard and it's great quality and cheap. It's less than $2.50/ft with paint. I'm even adding no climb, so 4' no climb horse quality (to keep the dogs in) + 3 rails will be about $3.25 a foot. Thanks for making me feel better about the project guys ;)

AnotherRound
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:26 PM
I had a neighbor in North Madison, CT move in to the 10 acre farm a few houses down when I lived there. They fenced the entire perimeter, and I don't know how much it cost. I wish I did. They used large, what must have been 8 or 10 inch round posts (treated) with 5 boards high (yup, five boards high) of 2 x 6 planks, rather than 1 x 6. I think it was pine, but it could have been oak. Beautiful reddish almost cherry color, whatever it was. I used to walk by and just sit on the side of the road and gaze at it, coveting the fencing and the property (it was ALL rolling hill of hay field) and inhaling the smell of the lumber. They moved in with three horses, who were virtually lost in the hay field, but when they popped their heads up over the long grass, they looked really happy.

Sigh.

Janet
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:34 PM
Another recommendation for George White Fencing.