PDA

View Full Version : Fair Hill proofs

Nikonut
Oct. 20, 2009, 06:46 PM
Proofs from the Fair Hill International are now posted here:
http://www.photosbybailini.com/g2/v/Equine/2009_Equine/2009_FHI_Oct/

Congratulations to all who braved the elements to compete at a very difficult event.

Cheers!

Threedaydream
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:17 PM
Awesome! Thanks for posting these... I was wondering who the photog. was.

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 21, 2009, 07:38 AM
Well, the official photogs were GRC and Shannon Brinkman.

Nikonut
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:19 AM
Well, the official photogs were GRC and Shannon Brinkman.

Very true, Lindsay. I was just A photog, not THE photog.

j0ehunter
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:35 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are Canadian? Same with Anthony Trollope.

Do you have a work visa for the US? You are working in the US by going to the shows and then selling the images. Also known as scabbing by the official photographers at the shows

In my other life, I am required to have permits and visas to work in Canada because I am a US citizen. Heaven help me if I try to take anything across Canada the might be related to my work. More paper work. I have duplicate items in my office there because it is easier.

Perhaps I could talk to a couple of my acquaintances that work ICE and see what they have to say on the subject.

IF I were you, I would make sure to wear clean underwear the next time you (or Anthony) cross the border. You might be "inspected" more thoroughly than ever before.

PS I consider myself friends with many of the US photographers, including Gary from GRC and Shannon ( and I have met Piaffeprincess98 as well once), because I also am an amateur photographer and ask them questions when I see them. If I am shooting at one of their shows, they know I am not selling them or giving them away on some website or at the show.

PPS Doesn't your initial post constitute advertising on this forum which is against the rules? Guess you have no respect for type type of decorum or rules. Says a lot about you really.

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:46 PM

Oh, are you the one who was shooting for the Canadian magazine? I think Emily told me you posted on here sometimes.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:05 PM
PS I consider myself friends with many of the US photographers, including Gary from GRC and Shannon ( and I have met Piaffeprincess98 as well once), because I also am an amateur photographer and ask them questions when I see them. If I am shooting at one of their shows, they know I am not selling them or giving them away on some website or at the show.

At least in my experience...the offical photographers at horse events do not pay for exculsivity. If they did...that is a different story. But most of the time, they just agree to come and for that agreement, the organizers publish them in the program. But at most events....the photographers are not paying exclusive rights to shoot the event (but maybe just rights to be the official photographer named in the program).....and any photographer may come, shoot pictures and sell them. This is not scabbing at least not how I understand that term. There are some events that do have exclusivity agreements....remember the Rolex videos....where people were told that you can not post any video on youtube. This was because there was an exculsivity agreement for the video rights.

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't really care....just glad to some times have choices as to what I want to buy....and like to look at all the photographs when freely made available.

gchildean
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:10 PM
I find the more photographers the better! You will always get a much better selection of xc shots aince more photogs means more xc fences. Also, its awfully tough to get shots of all three phases if you are at a HT and there a several different divisions doing several different things at the same time. My mother runs 2 HTs per year and even though we have an "official" photog they don't pay anything to be there.

Nikonut
Oct. 21, 2009, 05:05 PM
Yes Lindsay, I was shooting for a Canadian magazine.
It was never my intent to step on any toes. I just thought that people (not just riders, but also those who couldn't make it to the show) would like to see as many different photos as possible. There is no fee or registration required for viewing my proofs. It's a public gallery.

As for this constituting advertising, to be honest, I didn't read the fine print. I regularly post notices just like this on another forum and didn't realize that it may be taboo on this one. If the moderators deem this to be in violation of the rules, then please delete this thread with my apologies.

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:29 PM
Yes Lindsay, I was shooting for a Canadian magazine.
It was never my intent to step on any toes. I just thought that people (not just riders, but also those who couldn't make it to the show) would like to see as many different photos as possible. There is no fee or registration required for viewing my proofs. It's a public gallery.

As for this constituting advertising, to be honest, I didn't read the fine print. I regularly post notices just like this on another forum and didn't realize that it may be taboo on this one. If the moderators deem this to be in violation of the rules, then please delete this thread with my apologies.
Hey, no toes stepped on here. I was just surprised to see another photog offering proofs. As a rider myself, I do like to see different photos from different photogs.

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
Well I certainly didn't see it as advertising. I most likely won't be buying any of those photos, but I sure like to see them! :-D

classen_eventer
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:22 AM
Well, as an owner with a horse at Fair Hill for the first time, I have to admit to purchasing photos from everyone........ You can never have too many....right? I think the photos were lovely and was glad to find out about them.

Tamsin
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:20 PM
I find the more photographers the better! You will always get a much better selection of xc shots aince more photogs means more xc fences. Also, its awfully tough to get shots of all three phases if you are at a HT and there a several different divisions doing several different things at the same time. My mother runs 2 HTs per year and even though we have an "official" photog they don't pay anything to be there.

I agree! The photos are a wonderful gift to competitors and their families--always interesting to study. It's helpful to discover where they're posted and I always try to buy as many photos as I can afford to encourage photographers to attend events.