PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying a trailer

Godiva's Mom
Oct. 20, 2009, 02:00 PM
I am starting to think owning my own trailer might be a good option. I want the flexibility of being able to take my horse to shows without worrying about how I am going to get there. I have never owned a trailer and wanted to ask what options/models/brands I should consider. I think I want a 2 horse slant load bumper pull with a small tack room. Is buying used a good option when shopping? My horse is a 16.2 percheron cross who weighs about 1300 pounds. What height should I get? I have paid others to haul horses for many years but I never paid much attention to the trailer particulars. I am very concerned about safety and certainly price.
Sorry to have so many questions but I know COTH is a great resource for us horse folks! Thanks so much, Amy

tle
Oct. 20, 2009, 02:31 PM
First... with that big of a horse, you may want to consider a straightload instead of a slant, especially if you're just looking at a 2 horse. Some slants dont' have the stall room for larger horses... SOME. You'll have to check them out to see.

Second... what kind of tow vehicle do you have? That may help you determine what kind of trailer you can get simply based on tow weight. Obviously the bulk will be teh stalls and the horses, but do you have enough weight to add a tack room or dressing room?

Definitely check out used trailers. You can find some great deals out there. Obviously you'll want to have ti completely checked out. Biggest things are tires, brakes, lights and floor. Steel trailers will be cheaper (even brand new) than aluminum trailers, but heavier. Steel rusts... aluminum oxidizes. There are some great brands around and you'll probably find lots of mixed reviews -- what floats one's boat, sinks another's. The only trailer I've ever ordered was a Bee. I LOVED that trailer -- 2H, GN with 4' DR.

paintlady
Oct. 20, 2009, 02:41 PM
I agree that you should consider a straight load for such a large horse - otherwise you're going to need a really WIDE slant load which is going to be harder to see around using your truck mirrors.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE my 2-horse BP Hawk trailer w/dressing room. I only have a 15.2 hh Paint mare. My trailer is WB size and will fit most every horse.

http://www.hawktrailers.com/specs.asp?id=3

There is nothing wrong with buying used - you can get some great deals that way.

ChocoMare
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'll third the straight load with a ramp. I have bigguns and there's no way they'd fit in a slant. Besides, to me, slants are a pain! :lol:

If you'd like to take a mini road trip, feel free to come visit me in Dallas and check out my EquiBreeze (http://good-times.webshots.com/myphotos?action=refreshPhotos&albumID=569863361&security=yFLROR). It's a stock-combo from EquiSpirit and seeing it up close/in person might give you some ideas of where to go from here. Yes, they do come in BP versions too and one is available for immediate pick up in NC ;): http://www.equispirit.com/info/used_horse_trailers_breeze.html

deacon's mom
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
My big Danish horse doesn't fit in a slant. I have a Shadow that gives him plenty of room. How much towing capability do you have?

Godiva's Mom
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm interested to hear about bigger horses and slant loads. The BO currently has a 3 horse slant load goose neck. Moe goes in first and I do have to sort of shove him up to get the divider latched. I was under the impression they rode a little more balanced in a slant load, is that incorrect? I am happy to get a straight load too.
As for towing vehicle, we were originally shopping for a new SUV, but will start looking at trucks now. I really like a Ford 150... I know towing is a whole other ball of wax. I would like something that fits in the garage.
The plan would be to have an idea of trailer weight and size and then get the appropriate towing vehicle. I don't think I can convince my husband to get a goose neck. Chocomare, thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it! I have always admired your horses!

ChocoMare
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
Well darlin', then you just come on out. I loff to show them off anyway! :winkgrin:

tle
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:43 PM
I think YMMV depending on who you ask (re: comfort slant vs straight). I don't mind slants and think they have their purposes, but given a choice, I'll take a straight. In my mind (not based on any factual evidence really) it makes more sense to have a foot in each corner vs on each "side" as in travelling slant... more natural I guess. Although I'm not sure anything is "natural" about putting a horse in a moving box. :)

busterwells
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:05 PM
I own a 2 horse slant load with a small tack room in the front by Trails West. I have a 16 hh Appendix Quarter that will barely fit on the back end of the slant load, wow it is a tight squeeze but he fits nicely in the front end of the slant. I seriously wonder if your horse will fit? This was a big disappointment to me after I bought my trailer. My friend and I that trailer to parks together both have 16 hh Appendix Quarters and I hold my breath every time we try to squeeze them in. I own a Cheverolet Suburban that pulls my 2-horse nicely and is a great ride, but when I bought my trailer the dealer told me that the Suburban can only pull the weight of the 2-horse trailer with 2 horses --- this surprised me with amount of power and size that this vehicle has.

EventerOP
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:22 PM
I agree with some others saying that you probably would want to get straight load. I was in your same situation last year, I was on the fence but last winter we bought one! Its a Hawk 2h,straight load with a dressing room. love it! Its so nice to have freedom to go to shows, lessons, clinics, etc.
My are is a 15.2 TB, but I have brought my friends horse along who is 16.3 WB. . . hes a pretty big guy and he fits perfectly fine.

jn4jenny
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
As for towing vehicle, we were originally shopping for a new SUV, but will start looking at trucks now. I really like a Ford 150... I know towing is a whole other ball of wax. I would like something that fits in the garage.

Well, if it's a question of weight and size...in theory you COULD pull a Brenderup with an SUV. They're designed for that. And yes, they fit horses that size. 7'4" ceiling, 55" or more in front of the chest bar. The Royal and Brenderup are designed to hold horses up to 17.2hh. I have had two people come out to look at mine who were concerned that it wouldn't hold their 16.2 or 16.3hh horses. Both were laughing at themselves as soon as we stepped into the trailer. They're BIG in there.

But an F-150 with a traditional 2-horse would also work. My friend quite happily pulled her Featherlite gooseneck 2-horse straight load with dressing room with a beefed-up F-150 (was basically a 150 with a 250 engine in it). She now drives an F-250 and likes it even better, but the 150 was safe and maneuverable.

jenm
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have a Logan Coach 2H GN slant and my friends Perch cross has plenty of room in it. The slant divider is adjustable and even if it's in the widest slot, there is still plenty of room for my 15'3 TB. However, he won't fit in my friends Trails West 2H BP slant. It really does depend on the trailer, but you for sure want to measure how long and wide your horse is before you go shopping.

As others have said, your tow vehicle will dictate what kind of trailer you can purchase. If you have a truck, I would recommend a GN over a BP especially if you are new to towing. I would not recommend doing any serious towing with anything smaller than a 250 or 2500, but if you are towing short distances, a smaller truck may be fine, I don't think I would be comfortable towing a big guy with a smaller truck.

Interestingly enough, the two times I had my 2 year old loose in the back slot, he turned around and rode facing the back both times.

paintlady
Oct. 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
I haul my Hawk 2 horse BP w/dress using a Chevy Silverado 1500 - extended cab and factory installed tow package. However, I invested in a weight distribution hitch - allows you to pull more than the slide-in ball hitch and also helps with stability. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a 2500 truck.

Piatt Farms
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hello all. I’m new to the forum and wanted some input as well. I’m also looking for a trailer and am ok with a goose or BP. I have two 16hTB mares that are pregnant (an early spring baby and a late spring baby) and I plan on taking all four of them to an inspection next fall, so ideally I’d like to find something that I can haul all 4 of them in but also use for regular trips to the vet for breedings and such. Thoughts?

wsmoak
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
If I ever replace my Logan 2H slant it will be a 4-Star straight load or stock with center gate. (That's what I'd want for the mare and foal combos.)

Patrick just doesn't fit in the slant stalls -- my preference is to tie back the divider and give him the whole thing, but I will put him in the slightly larger rear stall if I'm taking someone else on a trail ride.

I'll also go back to a stock trailer with an escape door like I had before... silly drop down windows are way more trouble than they're worth!

jn4jenny
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hello all. I’m new to the forum and wanted some input as well. I’m also looking for a trailer and am ok with a goose or BP. I have two 16hTB mares that are pregnant (an early spring baby and a late spring baby) and I plan on taking all four of them to an inspection next fall, so ideally I’d like to find something that I can haul all 4 of them in but also use for regular trips to the vet for breedings and such. Thoughts?

4-horse straight load stock trailer with removable dividers? That way you could accommodate the pregnant mares easily.

Kaleigh007
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:02 AM
I have a Trail-et 2/3 combo with a dressing room which I LOVE. It is a gooseneck with a side ramp and a back ramp. Two stalls in the back that can become a box and a box in the front that you could put another horse in. My 18 hander and his mom whose not little either fit nicely in it and I like the option of just leading them off the side ramp to unload. Hauls really nice also.

MoonPie730
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:17 AM
I have a 3 horse morganbuilt GN slant load that I love. My warmblood is only 16.2, but she fits fine. I have friends that have 16.3+ warmblood that is huge and he fits in their trails west slant load just fine. I also have another friend who has a morgan built 2 horse BP and she has a 17+ warmblood that is huge and he fits in her trailer just fine.

Definitely they will have more room in a straight load. However, it has been my experience that horses are more comfortable loading into a slant load. My mare, who is claustrophobic, also travels much better in a slant load than she did in my straight load. I am much happier/more comfortable with a slant load. Also, if you were to leave your horse loose in the trailer, you would find that they like to travel backwards and at an angle, similar to a slant. I think it's easier on the horse to travel in a slant load, though I could be wrong.

Definitely go used, you will get a better deal. If you go with a slant, get one that is 8 ft tall and I believe 7ft wide with adjustable dividers.

danceronice
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
Well, if it's a question of weight and size...in theory you COULD pull a Brenderup with an SUV. They're designed for that. And yes, they fit horses that size. 7'4" ceiling, 55" or more in front of the chest bar. The Royal and Brenderup are designed to hold horses up to 17.2hh. I have had two people come out to look at mine who were concerned that it wouldn't hold their 16.2 or 16.3hh horses. Both were laughing at themselves as soon as we stepped into the trailer. They're BIG in there.

But an F-150 with a traditional 2-horse would also work. My friend quite happily pulled her Featherlite gooseneck 2-horse straight load with dressing room with a beefed-up F-150 (was basically a 150 with a 250 engine in it). She now drives an F-250 and likes it even better, but the 150 was safe and maneuverable.

I second a Brenderup (which would haul quite well with an F-150, which I also endorse, though we pulled ours with an E-series van.) My 15.3 hh TB had tons of head room, and was no more of a brat loading than he was in anything (and slightly less than he was with a step-up slant load, where he took a lot of...convincing.) Also, I just checked our trailer out, where it's been sitting doing nothing for a few years under a run-in. A little hosing to get the musty smell out, and I would load a horse in it today. The floor is in great shape, the ramp is still good (and still weighs a TON), all the doors and hinges work. Caveat--my dad put drainage holes in the floor, so it never has moisture-pooling problems. YMMV. Dad, the ex-automotive engineer, did the hauling, and he said that so long as you're sensible, like you would be hauling any kind of trailer, there is no significant shifting, wind resistance, or drag from the Brenderup. He would have no reservations about using it again.

2DogsFarm
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:16 PM
I 2nd the recommendation for a straight-load.

My 17h+ horse is perfectly willing to step into my 2H BP, but took one look at the last stall in a friend's 3H slantload and said "Nuh Uh".
She wanted to put him there so he wouldn't "bother" her horse in slot #1.
She did give in, and he loaded fine into the middle stall, but it was pretty tight.

IMO ramps are a Royal PITA - give me a step-up.
Saves wear & tear on you, and horses are less likely to bump their heads loading as most will lower their heads to step up into the trailer.

Right now I'm towing with a 6cyl '02 Ford Explorer that has the factory towing package (w/tranny cooler).
My trailer is a 4-Star aluminum skin over steel frame and looks like new even after living outside since 1996.
In 7 years I've never had a problem in all sorts of road conditions and the SUV pulls the trailer loaded with 2 horses like there was nothing behind it.
My former tow vehicle was a Blazer with a Vortec-6 and we had to turn off the AC when hauling or overheat.

I do have my eye on an 8cyl F150 for my next tow vehicle - but given the current economy.....does anyone want to share that winning lottery ticket?