PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a dog from Ireland

Elliot
Oct. 20, 2009, 02:06 PM
Not sure if this is kosher or not, but I'm trying to have a puppy shipped over from Ireland, and I'm curious if anyone here has done such a thing before.

This will most definitely be a horse show dog/farm dog ;)

I'm going in on this with someone else who previously used a horse shipper to get her dog over, but she said by the time she paid all the fees to get the dog on a plane from horse quarantine to her local airport, it was quite expensive.

I'm trying to find someone headed over on a buying or riding trip who could just bring the puppy back for me, but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

RougeEmpire
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:49 PM
One of my old co-workers spent several years working in the airlines as a baggage handler. His stories about animals being shipped in cargo convienced me to NEVER ship a dog cargo, or any other animal. He said baggage handlers HATE animals in cargo and often torment the animals. Apparently it's not uncommon for handlers to kick crates, pound on them an flip them over if a dog is barking. Having an animal in cargo is viewed as some sort of a punishment or the worst thing ever. Its one of the major reasons why he left the airline industry. I have taken a cat carry on, but that was RIGHT after 9/11 before all the major changes in airline rules. His ticket was more than mine but they let me bring him as carry one. I would NEVER ship a dog cargo.

Groro
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:22 PM
My daughter brought a puppy back with her from Ireland last summer and it wasn't too much of a big deal. She had to have a crate that was big enough and needed some vaccinations. You will have to check airlines as some don't ship animals.

Polydor
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:24 PM
My co-worker just shipped her lab x to Australia from Calgary. Pretty sure you are not allowed to have them carry on any more. There are special pet airline companies that help you organize everything.

Expensive ticket and might expect a long quarantine time as well. Co-worker spent close to 5K on her dog between vet bills , ticket and quarantine.

P.

DebbieB
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have sent animals across the country using AA. Where there was any problem with schedules or flights the staff went out of their way to take care of the animal.

I also sent a dog to the Netherlands and had some trouble with paperwork (my fault) on my first try and the AA people were wonderful. I got everything right on my second try and the dog got there just fine.

There is a website that lists all the reported incidences with animals with the various airlines. For the most part the airlines had very few problems. Most of the things were really stupid dog tricks (dog with his teeth stuck in wire door) or owners doing things like over sedating (big no-no) nervous infirm dogs, resulting in death.

danceronice
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
Animals can only go carry-on if they are small enough to fit in an underseat carrier, and most require a health certificate issued within ten days (AND there are airlines who do not take any animals in the passenger cabin at all.)

The ramp rat behavior RogueEmpire describes is not typical. However, shipping a dog can be very stressful no matter how well you prepare.

Albion
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
Had a wonderful experience shipping my dog w/ Continental (not so much with Northwest/Delta, which I think was more of a Delta screwup).

Dogs flying by themselves MUST fly cargo and need health certs within 10 days, even for boring domestic flights. The trick is finding an airline with pet policies you're comfortable with - they're not treated (or shouldn't be) as 'regular' cargo. My dog bounced off the plane both times (though I was a nervous wreck after the NW/Delta flight), as have friend's dogs who have flown back from much further destinations than Ireland. Honestly, the whole flying experience was less traumatic for my dog than driving cross country. Yes, bad things can happen, but my family has been shipping dogs cargo to far away countries (like Thailand and Korea) since the 1950s - with care and planning, ALL of our animals have arrived healthy and safe.

Alagirl
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:36 PM
there are some rules regarding importing a dog, regarding quarantene and customs, but they are really not that bad (granted it's been a few years since I checked the specifics)

The dog flying airline is another kettle of fish, but it's not that bad. you have to check the airlines, some have restrictions, especially when you get into times of extreme weather. flying solo I have no idea how much it would be, but when you are on the plane it can be as little as 100$ for the dog going cargo.

Flying in cabin I read that some airlines have a limit of 1 animal per flight, which could pose a problem. But this info is dated, airlines have the up to date info for you. The import legal stuff might find on the consulate pages of the US.

cyriz's mom
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:45 PM
We imported a Black Russian Terrier from Kiev, Ukraine about 5 1/2 years ago.

It was actually pretty easy. She flew from Kiev to Frankfort and overnighted and then direct from Frankfort to DFW. We had to go to the cargo office for Lufthansa and pick up some paperwork, go over to the customs office with the paperwork and do more paperwork, then back to Lufthansa to pick her up.

There was no quarantine. She handled the trip well, but to this day HATES being kenneled!

Elliot
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hmm, so no recommendations of companies that might do this especially well?

The other person and I had thought about having one of us fly over to get the pups, as it might be a similar price to having them fly solo. They are black and tan Jacks, so they'd fit under the seat.

I called Pet Express (www.petmove.com) today, and they are supposed to come back to me with a price quote. Anybody have experience with this company? It's who the Aer Lingus rep told me to call.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Cloverbarley
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:57 PM
You don't say whether the puppy is coming from Eire or Northern Ireland - this could make a difference as to which airline you can use.

There is no quarantine when bringing dogs over from the UK/Eire to the USA - it's only going back that is an issue. The dog will need a rabies shot which is usually given prior to flying. Rabies is not in the UK or Eire so it is not a routine shot over there, only for dogs who travel to areas where rabies exists.

Your pup will have to fly cargo as it is unaccompanied. The cost of cargo is much greater than if it was checked baggage.

I flew my dogs over here from Europe. They all travelled perfectly and BA took wonderful care of them and little old nervous me :). I brought my dogs as checked baggage so had them with me right to the minute they boarded the plane.

There are many companies who will organise this for you and this link could set you in the right direction; http://www.baworldcargo.com/products/liveanimals.shtml

morganmare
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
There are black and tan JRT breeders in the states. Have you taken a look at some of them? (Just a suggestion, it might save you some money since you wouldn't have to ship overseas.)

dmalbone
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:17 PM
Color me stupid, but... I don't get it. WHY are you wanting to ship a farm dog over from Ireland???

Alagirl
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:24 PM
Color me stupid, but... I don't get it. WHY are you wanting to ship a farm dog over from Ireland???

The same reason why some people buy a horse overseas. :lol:

(not to mention the winky face declaring the dog a farm dog) ;)

deltawave
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:56 PM
Maybe one of the horse transport companies (like Dutta?) would make room for a smaller animal. :) But I'd also want to say quietly and politely--why not save all that jet fuel and get a dog locally, preferably one that desperately needs a home? :sadsmile:

dmalbone
Oct. 22, 2009, 06:59 PM
But I'd also want to say quietly and politely--why not save all that jet fuel and get a dog locally, preferably one that desperately needs a home? :sadsmile:
That's what I was trying to hint at with my post... There are SOOO many dogs, especially JRTs here already.

Go Fish
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:15 PM
One of my old co-workers spent several years working in the airlines as a baggage handler. His stories about animals being shipped in cargo convienced me to NEVER ship a dog cargo, or any other animal. He said baggage handlers HATE animals in cargo and often torment the animals. Apparently it's not uncommon for handlers to kick crates, pound on them an flip them over if a dog is barking. Having an animal in cargo is viewed as some sort of a punishment or the worst thing ever. Its one of the major reasons why he left the airline industry. I have taken a cat carry on, but that was RIGHT after 9/11 before all the major changes in airline rules. His ticket was more than mine but they let me bring him as carry one. I would NEVER ship a dog cargo.

Not a problem anymore. Cargo areas are monitored now on all airlines. Any baggage handler doing that sort of stuff will get caught.

butlerfamilyzoo
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:36 PM
I cant help you with international flights, but have flown dogs and exotics (sugar gliders) NUMEROUS times on various airlines in the states without issue. Actually, my only issue ever was with a flight to Canada that the inspector guy in Canada got off duty before the flight landed and we had to call him back and pay extra for his time. It was more an error on my part for not knowing, but the airline too for not telling me that i shouldnt have used that late of a flight... It got done, but took a few hours to get him out of the airport in Canada for the new owner. She was calm and level headed about it.

The dogs i've had shipped to me, even with multiple lay overs have had NO issues with trauma or stress...

Know plenty of military that have flown their pets cargo overseas, the only complaints they have is quarantine.

For those of you saying to shop in the states... Sometimes if its a die hard breeder or fan of the breed looking for something super specific (bloodlines for example) it just isnt here in the states. Or the type has been bred right out of them. Look at the German Shepherd for example, american's have really watered down that breed, such a difference between an american bred (assuming no recently imported german blood in there of course) to what i see coming over from Germany, practically two different breeds aside from the color. That's not even my breed, but i can tell the differences with my uneducated eye.

I breed a breed that is heavily exported to Germany and Poland, while they've got access to them over there, again, they are shopping for specific type and bloodline.

Yes, dogs are pets, but just like horses, there are differences in quality and type! :)

Silvercrown90
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:29 AM
My South African Boerboel puppy was shipped from the Kwa-Zula Natal region of the North Coast of South Africa the first week of September (6 weeks ago) when he was 9 weeks old. The flight from Durban to Johannesburg to Washington International Dulles was over 30+ hours. He arrived fine. The cost was about $600 USD. We used a professional pet carrier who handled all of the arrangements through the commercial air carriers.

The flight from South Africa was as easy for him as when I picked up my other puppy from New Jersey and drove her the 6-hour drive home. Hire a professional pet carrier who can handle the arrangements and make sure that all paperwork is in order, and then it is a cinch. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Equilibrium
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:37 AM
www.airsea.ie

Good Luck,

Terri

sdlbredfan
Oct. 24, 2009, 04:39 PM
With all the dogs in this country who desperately need homes, I can only ask 'WTF and WHY!?" You did not indicate that this is some very special dog that you are going to compete and/or make money off of breeding, so this is beyond absurd to me, but of course the fact the OP posed this particular question indicates she/he may have a different view of reality than I do.

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't get it either. Why on earth would you want to do that? You're going to spend 4 times as much for what purpose? Plus it's risky shipping dogs cargo no matter how reputable the carrier. S*** happens.

I've flown a lot with my dogs. One of them is a service dog and gets to ride with me in the cabin and not in a crate. The other one is too big to fit under a seat and since she's not a service dog had to ride cargo. I use United Airlines and have had nothing but great experiences with them both with the service dog and with the regular dog.

klr
Oct. 26, 2009, 01:52 PM
from an hour away via Craigs list--cost=$30 plus gas.. Great QUIET young healthy happy social dog. klr

loganisle
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:25 PM
You know, when folks go looking for a dog, especially for show (some of you apparently missed this part of the OP's post) they tend to have an idea of what they want, what will win, and the bloodlines they would like to have.

I'm guessing this is why the OP 1) didn't just buy any old black and tan Jack and 2) is why she chose to go out of the country to get one.

I have shipped to Finland, but that was with someone who had come to the US for a National dog show, so he flew back with her. I've shipped to Canada and throughout the US with the best results from Northwest and Continental. I've used Delta and actually had a dog find it's way into Baltimore instead of Ohio with Delta. Won't do that again unless I have no choice. I've also shipped with American, however they can be pricey.

Equibrit
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:35 PM
When I shipped my dog over we delivered the dog and the regulation size crate to the RSPCA compound at the airport, having purchased a flight for him. They took care of loading etc and we met the dog on arrival in the USA. No quarantine required from GB - just a health certificate and proof of innoculations. It was quite a shock for the dog who walked in to the RSPCA facility and was greeted by an elephant having a bath. The only problem was the poor airport worker who took pity on the dog, and let him out on the lead to take care of business. It was winter and icy at JFK and the dog was a very fit GSP. The guy went down, managed to hang on to his end (thank heavens) but broke his arm. The dog's ticket was more expensive than our economy seats.

BA is good; http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_dk

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:48 PM
You know, when folks go looking for a dog, especially for show (some of you apparently missed this part of the OP's post) they tend to have an idea of what they want, what will win, and the bloodlines they would like to have. ?

It doesn't say that in the OP...at least I don't see it anywhere. It says horse show dog, not show dog.

Bolding added by me for emphasis:

Not sure if this is kosher or not, but I'm trying to have a puppy shipped over from Ireland, and I'm curious if anyone here has done such a thing before.

This will most definitely be a horse show dog/farm dog ;)

I'm going in on this with someone else who previously used a horse shipper to get her dog over, but she said by the time she paid all the fees to get the dog on a plane from horse quarantine to her local airport, it was quite expensive.

I'm trying to find someone headed over on a buying or riding trip who could just bring the puppy back for me, but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

Anyway people should do what they want but it still doesn't make sense to me to spend that kind of cash on a barn dog when there are thousands that need a home right here. I totally understand going to such lengths to buy a dog for a specific purpose such as a working dog or a show dog but a farm dog? Just doesn't make sense to me.

loganisle
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
Ahhhh. . . I'm with ya. I guess I skipped the "horse show" part. :eek:

eventrider
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:28 PM
I brought a dog home from Paris to the US in 2005. He needed a passport and rabies vac, plus a health certificate within 30 days of travel. I bought him a ticket on the flight we were coming home on, which at the time was a little under $800 euros. There was no quarantine here in the US. We dropped him off at the animal drop of area in a cargo area of the airport several hours before the flight left and picked him up in a cargo area of the airport when we got home. Our flight was delayed for several hours while we sat at the terminal, and the flight over was a total of about 10 hours once we left till we arrived at our destination. He looked just as happy as when we dropped him off. No worse for the ware at all. He was 4 months old at the time. They did tell me that the door of his crate fell off on the tarmac, but he just sat happily in his crate until they zip tied it back on! There are only certain airports in Europe that will fly dogs to the US. At that time only London and Paris were our options. Not sure about now. Good luck!!! I would do it again without hesitation and if I ever move out of the country I will bring my dog with me, no matter the cost or time involved. PS-He is a 3rd generation home bred JRT!!

judybigredpony
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:38 AM
Wish I had read this post earlier just got back on the 23rd from Dublin...yes some horse window shopping... and looking hard for a smooth coated short legged JRT male to bring home for my 2 girls.
I have friends who live in Ireland and come over frequently. What size dog and when planing to ship.