PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust storage?

Sparky Boy
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:38 AM
How do you keep your sawdust?

We use to just keep a big pile behind the barn with a tarp over it. Then we built 3 walls around it, maybe as high as the fence. Now I'd like to put some sort of cover on it. Maybe a partial cover. Still need room for the dump-bed truck to drop the sawdust in there. We haven't needed to push it back with the tractor. The tarp works fine but it's a pain and then if it rains, you have those puddles in the tarp and it's messy.

Any ideas?

shakeytails
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
We get our right from the sawmill, go it's green (wet). I don't pile it because it heats up and will rot if I don't use it quick enough. I just spread it down the barn aisle where it dries out quite nicely- and just shovel from the aisle into the stalls as needed.

Most shavings bins I've seen have been very tall, at least 12', with a roof and 3 walls, the 4th open and facing away from prevailing weather.

KnKShowmom
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:43 AM
We have a 3 sided cinder block pit with a concrete pad and cover it with a tarp. The back side of the tarp goes over the back of the wall so the water so the water will drain away. On nice days I will open the tarp to dry out any condensation and it works great.

Sparky Boy
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
We have a 3 sided cinder block pit with a concrete pad and cover it with a tarp. The back side of the tarp goes over the back of the wall so the water so the water will drain away. On nice days I will open the tarp to dry out any condensation and it works great.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I could bungee cord the back of it to the wall. My neighbor did that and her's didn't work so well. The wind tore it up. Perhaps hers wasn't built with it's back to the wind?