PDA

View Full Version : Can someone look up a tattoo for me?

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
I don't know where you look up tattoos, but from what I can see, the horses tattoo is F01612 i THINK. Its somewhat blurred and the 0 isn't positive. I'm going to take a better look later, but again its blurred. I'm told the horse is 5 but frankly I don't believe that. He acts more like 25 :lol:.

Cammie
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
There's no match for that number. What's the sex, color and markings of the horse?

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:20 AM
There's no match for that number. What's the sex, color and markings of the horse?

Dark bay, low white sock on the LH, small white star, gelding. A million of them, I know >.< As of now, he's just "that bay up front" :(

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:24 AM
Jockey Club tattoo letters correspond to the following foaling years. Are you sure it's an F? That would make him 7. For hard to read tattoos, you can use a flashlight or blacklight (in a dark stall). You can contact the Jockey Club directly with numbers and markings and they will look it up for free.

From Horse.com "The Jockey Club has established a free service to help owners identify tattooed but unidentified Thoroughbreds in their possession.

For legible tattoos, an owner can use a free tattoo lookup feature available from The Jockey Club's Web site and the Registry homepage.

For illegible or partial tattoos, customer service representatives from the Registry will provide free research of a Thoroughbred's identity using the information contained in The Jockey Club's database, including color, markings, and photographs.

Information on procuring identification from illegible or partial tattoos, as well as tips for reading lip tattoos and a list of frequently asked questions is available at Registry.jockeyclub.com"

T 1990
U 1991
V 1992
W 1993
Y 1995
Z 1996
A 1997
B 1998
C 1999
D 2000
E 2001
F 2002
G 2003
H 2004
I 2005
J 2006

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you, both of you. He's supposedly 5, was dumped half starved somewhere and acts like an old school horse. If he is 7, he's had one hell of a hard life. I'm thinking his future job will be Grandpa to the weanlings : o)

Cammie
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
Still nothing for F?1612 or H?1612. You'll have to take a closer look at the tattoo. Let us know if you know for SURE what at least two of the numbers are and their location in the sequence. Also need more description on the markings- does the star curve at all? Is it off-center to the left or right? Is the sock even all around, or higher in front or back or sides? Any ermine spots in the sock? Take a look at the cowlicks or whorls on his face as well. The descriptions are very nit-picky on the papers, and its hard to narrow down the results and guess which one might be him without seeing a photo. :)

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:43 AM
Still nothing for F?1612 or H?1612. You'll have to take a closer look at the tattoo. Let us know if you know for SURE what at least two of the numbers are and their location in the sequence. Also need more description on the markings- does the star curve at all? Is it off-center to the left or right? Is the sock even all around, or higher in front or back or sides? Any ermine spots in the sock? Take a look at the cowlicks or whorls on his face as well. The descriptions are very nit-picky on the papers, and its hard to narrow down the results and guess which one might be him without seeing a photo. :)

Yes I'm definitely going to take a better look! I don't really care if I never find out who he is, I'm just curious since I work around race horses and I usually know who they are! The one who's identity I'm not aware of is mine, how ironic :lol:. I've never looked at tattoo's before, but his papers appear to be MIA.

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
If there's an asterisk before the tattoo, it's international which is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. Is it possible he's a whole lot older than you think? We have one that we aged at 10 to 11 by teeth, found out he was 14 (confirmed by race picture, he has a very unusual blaze). He's 15 now and looks like he's 7, so you never know. No one will believe he's 15! Try using the light (you can get one of those red led lights at Walmart). Might help read the tattool.

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
Maybe a B? That would make him 11. Have you checked his teeth to estimate age?

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:12 PM
If there's an asterisk before the tattoo, it's international which is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. Is it possible he's a whole lot older than you think? We have one that we aged at 10 to 11 by teeth, found out he was 14 (confirmed by race picture, he has a very unusual blaze). He's 15 now and looks like he's 7, so you never know. No one will believe he's 15! Try using the light (you can get one of those red led lights at Walmart). Might help read the tattool.

Oh yes. I originally thought he was a 20 year old boarder horse :lol:

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
Poor guy. I also read that if you take a digital picture of tattoo without flash and enhance it you might be able to read the tattoo better.

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:29 PM
Poor guy. I also read that if you take a digital picture of tattoo without flash and enhance it you might be able to read the tattoo better.

Excellent, thanks! Yes, he looks like quite the battle tested old warrior. I'm hoping he really IS old/older, if he's 7 then I don't even want to know what he's been through to look that old that fast. From what I know, he was a bottom of the barrel bleeder, so he's quite enjoying being an 'only horse' and takes his job of playing grandpa very seriously.

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 05:03 PM
Good luck. It's really exciting to find out who they were and where they raced. We've tracked the breeder for one of our guys (raced until he was 10, now schooling 2nd level dressage, amazing horse) and found the ex-steeplechaser's (the 15 year old) trainer. Small world, the trainer lived across the road from daughter's boyfriend. Horse was in training with him while she was dating him. Go figure. Wish we'd gotten our hands on him them. He's definitely been abused, but is a sweetheart now. Will jump anything. Will be using him as a school horse in the spring. We had the hardest time figuring out his tattoo because we couldn't believe he was that old. Turns out it was an X that sure didn't look like an X. Found the race photo and it's definitely him.

mephistopheles
Oct. 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
Nevermind, I think I found him. Needless to say, i'm changing his name this second OMG! :lol: :lol:

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 06:37 PM
OK, so now I'm really curious. Who is he and how old is he?

Barnfairy
Oct. 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
Nevermind, I think I found him. Needless to say, i'm changing his name this second OMG! :lol: :lol:
OK, so now I'm really curious. Who is he and how old is he? Yeah, no fair coming here to ask for help and then holding out his identity from us! :lol:

EasyDoesIt
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:04 PM
I don't know where you look up tattoos, but from what I can see, the horses tattoo is F01612 i THINK. Its somewhat blurred and the 0 isn't positive. I'm going to take a better look later, but again its blurred. I'm told the horse is 5 but frankly I don't believe that. He acts more like 25 :lol:.

I was told my gelding was 5, too. But his starts with an F as well. And he looks like a baby! There must be something about the letter F...;)

LauraKY
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
The letters never lie.

mephistopheles
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, no fair coming here to ask for help and then holding out his identity from us! :lol:

Thongview :lol:. He's 7

Barnfairy
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
:o Oh good lord. Whoever named him should be ashamed of themselves.

Cammie
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
Oh good lord. Whoever named him should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, zero points for originality from his breeder-

Thong View, by Distant View out of Thong Thong Thong...... :rolleyes:

LauraKY
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:16 AM
What were they smoking when they named him? We don't usually change our OTTBs names, but in this case, I would, in a heartbeat.

mephistopheles
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
What were they smoking when they named him? We don't usually change our OTTBs names, but in this case, I would, in a heartbeat.

Yes, I think I'm going to order him a halter plate that says "Wish To Remain Anonymous" :lol:. Being as I'm his (if you count the breeder) 6th owner in 7 years and have no idea what his previous barn names might have been, nor do I WANT to know, I think that and a nice barn name is the least I can do for him :lol:.

EponaRoan
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
Well, there was that daughter of Rough Shod who had the name Thong long before it became synonymous with butt floss underwear. :D She had a sister named Gay Shoes. Back in the days when it meant happy.

Finally there is stakes placed Thong and it is she who has made the most commercial contribution to the Nantallah-*Rough Shod II cross. She is the dam of G1 winner King Pellinore, treble champion Thatch and G2 winner Lisadell. More importantly still, she is the second dam of two international super-star sires, Nureyev and Sadler’s Wells.

http://www.reines-de-course.com/nantallah.htm

http://www.pedigreepost.net/archives/RoughShodPt1NigelPullen.html

I see his mama was Thong Thong Thong who traces in tail female to Thong via Special who is no less than the dam of Nureyev!

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_display.cgi?userfile=P681109242993

So, flaunt your Thong! :cool:

Calico
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ya beat me to it! I was going to say, this guy's female family produced Sadler's Wells via Thong, and further back, Nureyev.

Pretty nice.

Cammie
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:43 AM
If I was determined to use the sire and dam names, I think I would have gone with "Thong from Afar". :lol:

Yes, I think I'm going to order him a halter plate that says "Wish To Remain Anonymous"

Could be worse, my TB was Lord Tweet, by Lord Buzz out of Tweetsie Pie. Now THAT is bad!!!! :dead:

mephistopheles
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:22 PM
If I was determined to use the sire and dam names, I think I would have gone with "Thong from Afar". :lol:If he was a mare, imagine what would they name the offspring though? "Upyourskirt" ? :lol:

mephistopheles
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
So, flaunt your Thong! :cool:

Now that he's in one piece, I think I will. Once he's no longer back sore and is 100% healthy, i can just hear "AND NEXT UP IS MEPHISTOPHELES RIDING THONG VIEWWWWW"
:D

mephistopheles
Mar. 23, 2010, 10:05 AM
Update: Wedgie (oh wait, ma say's I'm not supposed to call him that, don't tell! shhh!) is hopefully going to make an appearance at the Canter IL show in June. It'll be his "one year good food and attention" anniversary, or close enough to it =P.

DiablosHalo
Mar. 23, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, I think I'm going to order him a halter plate that says "Wish To Remain Anonymous" :lol:.

That is cute!!!

Aikenites
Mar. 29, 2010, 07:17 PM
Can someone look up a horse called Charlie's Halo? Born in 2003. I don't have his tattoo handy, but I thought there was a website where you could look up a race history for a horse...correct me if i'm wrong...

Thanks in advance!!

Cammie
Mar. 29, 2010, 07:51 PM
The only one I see that might be a match is a 2001 model, born in Texas. Go on www.equibase.com and enter his name on the left in the search box. That will bring up his race record. Or you can go on www.equineline.com and enter his name in the search box on the right side, and that will bring up the pedigree.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=6121313&registry=T&horse_name=Charlie%27s%20Halo&dam_name=Chiming%20Jet&foaling_year=2001&nicking_stats_indicator=N

danceronice
Mar. 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
Can someone look up a horse called Charlie's Halo? Born in 2003. I don't have his tattoo handy, but I thought there was a website where you could look up a race history for a horse...correct me if i'm wrong...

Thanks in advance!!

Charlie's Halo is a 2001 brown colt by Sunny's Halo out of Chiming Jet by Tri Jet. Foaled in Texas, though his dam's family is Florida (my Lucky and my old OTTB are from the same family.)

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_display.cgi?userfile=P4154131884992

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorseInfo.cfm?refno=6121313&registry=T

Timex
Mar. 29, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thongview is a pretty horrible name! Although I used to ride a colt named Dr Thong. Not sure if that's any better....

Beaver Breeze
Mar. 30, 2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks in advance!!

Charlie Halo is a 2003 bay Illinois-bred gelding by Seattle Morn-Criquette, by Forli Winds. His record is 22 starts, 2 wins, 1 second, 4 thirds, and earnings of $9,215.

lizathenag
Mar. 30, 2010, 02:21 PM
She had a sister named Gay Shoes. Back in the days when it meant happy.

still does.
couldn't resist
back to your regularly scheduled thread. . .