PDA

View Full Version : Hard Labor Creek Question-Hey Pnalley

spotnnotfarm
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know if you need shoes at Hard Labor creek?

katarine
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:15 AM
I would say no, but you will encounter some stretches of chert-rock hard roads, some rocky creeks and creek banks, and some hard pack narrow trails. Every horse is different, but it's nothing like the rockiness you find at Cherokee Stables up at Chatsworth.

pnalley
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:26 AM
It's been a while since I have been there. They have put in about 15 miles of additional trails. Sorry I can't help on this

PRS
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
I highly recommend them. I've been there several times. The first two times I went I put shoes on the front feet only. The last several times I went I used hoof boots on the front feet. I prefer hoof boots because they protect the entire hoof. The trails have LOTS of rocks on them and I wouldn't ever ride any horse I'm responsible for there barefoot.

NC Trail Girl
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:07 PM
where is Hard Labor Creek? Is it any where near the NC border? I'm always looking for new places to ride :)

ChocoMare
Oct. 23, 2009, 06:49 AM
HLCSP is in Rutledge Georgia. Info here! http://www.gastateparks.org/info/hardlabor/#directions :D

From Charlotte, it's about a 4 1/2 hour drive. There's plenty of camping space there, as well as cottages & stalls, so definitely a nice weekend trip for ya!

PRS
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:44 AM
where is Hard Labor Creek? Is it any where near the NC border? I'm always looking for new places to ride :)

Another place that is even closer to you is Watson Mill Bridge State Park near Comer, GA. They have very nice stalls, cottages, campground and trails. http://www.gastateparks.org/info/watson/ This park is only 3 hours from Charlotte.:winkgrin:

NC Trail Girl
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
Wow those look great!

The second one is about 2.5 hrs away and the first one is a bit longer..

I'm up in the Smokies, so I have to come down a bit to get into GA.

I've bookmarked those pages for some future camping!

Thanks guys :)

NC Trail Girl
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
I guess if any of you guys plan a weekend at those places.. make a post!

Me and the hubby might try to sneak away for the weekend ;)

PRS
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:28 PM
I guess if any of you guys plan a weekend at those places.. make a post!

Me and the hubby might try to sneak away for the weekend ;)

Actually I have reservations with a group of ladies for Watson Mill Bridge State Park Thanksgiving weekend. BTW...Shoes are not required there. They have very nice wooded trails with good footing.:D

spotnnotfarm
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:45 PM
PRS where do you live? Maybe I could meet you at Watson Mill one day. It looks wonderful! We are trying to go to Hard Labor on the 14th if you would like to join us.:)

pj
Oct. 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
Wow those look great!

The second one is about 2.5 hrs away and the first one is a bit longer..

I'm up in the Smokies, so I have to come down a bit to get into GA.

I've bookmarked those pages for some future camping!

Thanks guys :)

:)

If you are in the smokies why would you EVER want to come down!?
Wish I lived there.

PRS
Oct. 24, 2009, 04:33 PM
PRS where do you live? Maybe I could meet you at Watson Mill one day. It looks wonderful! We are trying to go to Hard Labor on the 14th if you would like to join us.:)

I live near Perry, GA. It is a big deal for me to find the time to get away on a camping trip plus I have to hitch a ride with my camping buddies because I don't have a LQ trailer and I drive a 1987 Ford F250 diesel. Although my truck has never left me walking I generally don't like to drive it more than an hour from home, just in case :) Watson Mill Bridge IS a wonderful park with some really nice amenities and I really liked the trails. We do have reservations there for Thanksgiving weekend. We also have reservations for Spirit of the Suwanee music park in Live Oak, FL on the weekend of Jan 22. That would be a considerable haul for anyone coming from N. GA though.

NC Trail Girl
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:39 AM
LOL.. I am most def. in the Smokies.. (right in my back yard ;) ).. but it is fun to ride in other places with other ppl...

I always love coming back home though!