PDA

View Full Version : how to get the tall weeds at bottom of fence w/o poison?

Lambie Boat
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
right under the bottom of the fence, out of reach of mower and whip whipper. How do I kill the tall weeds and grass right under the fence? It keeps messing with my hot wire:confused:

allpurpose
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
One word: goats!

Brockstables
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:55 PM
Search all natural weed killers, look for horse-safe combinations to use. We use HOT water to kill weeds along the dog kennel sometimes.

Sorry, I can't remember what we used along our fence lines. It was household items, nothing poisonous or dangerous. Worked great... I will try to remember.:(

MunchkinsMom
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:59 PM
Loose salt will kill it, but you will have to apply it regularly. Either rock salt like you put down as a de-icer, or the loose livestock salt also works.

trubandloki
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:01 AM
Vinegar has some weed killing capabilities. It is safe so worth a try.

2DogsFarm
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
Either a strong saltwater solution or straight white vinegar in a sprayer will do it.
Both are cheap, non-poisonous solutions to the problem.

Or......
You could borrow my Cash horse for a month.
I don't have hot wire and he limbos under the bottom wire all around the fenceline.
It looks like I keep a 2' path mowed all around the pastures.
He's cheap too...will work for apples or Dumor molasses cookies. :D

Hilary
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
Remove the bottom board or wire and they will eat under the fence.

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but this summer I moved the lowest strip of tape up one level so I could get the mower under it more easily. Then I came to the section of fence where the lowest board is much higher. No weeds. The grass was neatly eaten to about 6" past the fenceline. So I left the tape section with only the 2 top strips for the rest of the summer.

My goat experiement did not work. We've had them for 8 years now and they probably ate 15 weeds.

deltawave
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Acetylene torch. :D

Benson
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:12 AM
Acetylene torch. :D

Ditto! Kills weeds and satisfies the latent pyromaniac in everyone who uses it.

amdfarm
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:16 AM
Ponies! My ponies are great at keeping the fenceline looking weed and grass free. They don't eat the weeds, but once the grass is gone, the weeds seem to die on their own. There are some places where I have wire down lower that they don't touch, but I can get the weed whacker in there easily.

Brockstables
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, yeah, that was it! Loose salt and vinegar! Thank you! My Dad could not remember either but kept saying something mixed with vinegar... He used a big sprayer kinda thingy....

RU2U
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:42 AM
My ponies will actulally lay on the their front legs and eat the grass under the fence. We don't have grass for about a foot along the fence line. Ponies are so smart!