PDA

View Full Version : -

GleeRider
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
_

subk
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
Unless they've seriously changed it, you only need to be either an adult amateur or a YR. Perhaps desire to ride in the upper levels might help, but it is not needed to "qualify." I don't even think an applicant needs to request it for riding, just any eventing related pursuit.

I heard a few years ago that it was a very under-applied for scholarship!

KellyS
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hi there--

I applied for the Young Adult WTT scholarship in 2005 and was awarded the funds for the year 2006. :)

I was riding a 21-year-old TB at Training (my husband's previous * horse) and he was amazing. You would never know he was that old; he galloped around cross country like a horse half that age. I really wanted to become proficient at the Preliminary level but could not afford to take regular lessons. I wrote a heartfelt essay about how much I loved this horse and how I felt he was my once-in-a-lifetime partner. When you are riding a horse that age you know your years as a team are limited and the opportunity to continue learning with this horse was what inspired me to apply for the scholarship.

As it turned out, 2006 was our last year together; we lost him in the spring of 2007. However, that final year of competing and training was wonderful. I had the opportunity to clinic with Jim Wofford (one of the highlights of my eventing career) and took lessons with Sally Cousins and Wendy Lewis. I worked most closely with Wendy and to this day, 3 years later, I still hear her voice in my head when schooling dressage. :) She was a super trainer and I would never had had the chance to ride with her if not for the scholarship.

I've been out of the eventing scene for a bit while waiting for my baby TB cross to grow up, and I was pretty sick as well, which kept me out of the saddle many days from the end of 06 until this past summer (one of the reasons I got a baby...I could just enjoy watching him grow up while dealing with the health stuff). I am ever so grateful that my last year with Traveler (and my last year eventing for this time period) was one of the best ever.

Good luck if you are applying!

Traveler
(http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007620&id=1059684218&l=ad28fa2c84)

JFS
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:36 AM
My son was the lucky recipient of the scholarship for 2009. He spent the summer as a working student for Sara & Eric Dierks and just loved it and learned a lot. He also participated in the ICP Workshops and passed the Level 1 Training. He wouldn't have been able to afford any of this without the scholarship. Many thanks to Joan Goswell for generously sponsoring the scholarship.

Kyle did apply for the scholarship twice, didn't get it the first time. My younger son has applied for the scholarship for next year but we aren't very hopeful that he will receive it as we don't think they will award it to someone in the same family two years in a row but he wanted to give it a try. We'll see, but there is always next year :)

Anyway, it is a wonderful opportunity and I encourage anyone who is serious to apply.

Jackie

JFS
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:27 AM
Well the first year we thought we would have the sympathy vote because he lost his horse to colic but no such luck :) The second time he was much more specific about what he had done, what he wanted to do and why he needed the scholarship to achieve it.

Good luck.

Jackie

purplnurpl
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hi there--

I applied for the Young Adult WTT scholarship in 2005 and was awarded the funds for the year 2006. :)

Traveler
(http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007620&id=1059684218&l=ad28fa2c84)

Hey there.
Loved your story BTW. I remember it from and Eventing Mag in 2007. Loved it. Very touching. And tear jerking!

flutie1
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:01 PM
I sent a recommendation in for a local YR who applied. She has brought her mare along from its birth, volunteers a lot, is always willing to share what she learns, and who is generally a lovely and well respected person.

roki143
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:14 PM
I had full intentions of doing so, but then realized that even for the young adult, you have to be an amateur (or at least that's how I read it), and sadly, I don't qualify as an amateur - although I do have a real job (semi) outside of horses.

lurker
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:29 PM
I applied for the Adult Amateur one this year. I have never applied before and my trainer encouraged me to try as she felt we had a great story and we need a West Coast person to get it for once! (Her words - not mine). I have at least 3 level IV trainers to pick from - one of which is Amy Tryon so I really hope I get it. My trainer takes from her and she comes home with the HARDEST lessons. I learn tons through osmosis so I would LOVE to get this scholarship to help with the next season. I will have to say that even if I don't get it, all the volunteering I did this year was totally worth it. I had a great time, met fun people, learned lots and left with a great feeling. I plan to volunteer again next year, scholarship or not as I only ride one horse at the events and there is TONS of time in between at these 3 day events.

pixietrix
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
I didn't know you could do that, Flutie. I had a student also apply ( of course, we all think our favorites are the most deserving) & I had to sign something about her volunteering & such but didn't know that a letter might help her cause....

flutie1
Oct. 20, 2009, 03:57 PM
I didn't know you could do that, Flutie. I had a student also apply ( of course, we all think our favorites are the most deserving) & I had to sign something about her volunteering & such but didn't know that a letter might help her cause....

A letter can't hurt!

FrittSkritt
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
A letter can't hurt!

Yeah, but I don't think you're supposed to, otherwise they'd say so. IMHO it's a pretty good idea, but at the same time they might decide to not include it as a factor since nearly no one else will have recommendation letters.

flutie1
Oct. 20, 2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, but I don't think you're supposed to, otherwise they'd say so. IMHO it's a pretty good idea, but at the same time they might decide to not include it as a factor since nearly no one else will have recommendation letters.

Hey, if they don't like it, they can throw the damn thing away. Nancy Knight graciously acknowledged receiving it.

RunForIt
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:24 PM
I DO know someone who I think should seriously think of applying....:D :cool:

subk
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry subk I think you misunderstood what she was saying. She said that you need a trainer that is an upper level rider to apply not the applicants themselves.
No, I don't think that is correct. Here's the application download from the USEA site and no mention of that someone else must apply for you or recommend you.

http://useventing.com/resources/files/docs/WTTAdultAm2009.pdf

I know that when Joan started this she was surprise/disappointed how few people seem to be interested in the first few years. I hope that over time it's built a reputation and picked up momentum.

subk
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:09 PM
What i am trying to say, i dont know if i am wording it incorrectly or not. You must be training with an ICP II+ instructor or a USEF active competitors list member to use the fees. And i'm not sure if you are responding to the others replys, but i never said that someone else had to apply for you or recommend you.
:confused:

Not necessarily. From the USEA site:

"The Worth the Trust Educational Scholarships reward up-and-coming eventers by helping to fund their training—clinics, working student opportunities, private, or group instruction. In addition, learning to officiate, working with a Course Designer, Technical Delegate, Judge, Veterinarian, Organizer, etc. are also appropriate uses of the scholarship.*

* with the approval of the scholarship panel."

http://useventing.com/education.php?section=adultriders&id=1870

Glee I was quoting xcPayge.

bigbaytb
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:56 PM
I have applied for the adult scholarship every year..and never get it...so, I quit applying...I just continue to volunteer at events and for the local EA organization and take lessons and go to clinics when I get the time and the ocassional event when I can.....I hoped to move up to training this year, but my horse has had other plans so We'll wait til next year...again..ugh....

lurker
Nov. 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
Just curious. Waiting on pins and needles!

JFS
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:43 PM
As I recall they decision is made pretty darn close to the Annual Meeting. So probably at least a week or two.

Good luck.

Jackie

GleeRider
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Just curious. Waiting on pins and needles!

They pick the winners this week but they are announced at the Annual Meeting which i believe in the 4-6th of december. *crosses fingers!!!!!* :X

JFS
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:40 PM
The winner will get a phone call so you can go to the Annual Meeting and accept the award.

Jackie

mybelle
Nov. 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
Wow! I just wanted to add that I think this scholarship is a wonderful idea! A huge thank you to whomever it is who puts out the money for this. Eventing is an expensive sport and those that are talented and hardworking deserve a little something extra. :yes:

Good luck to everyone who applied! I wish you could all get it

ozzy24
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
Have the winners been announced yet?