PDA

View Full Version : Pasture Vac - has anyone tried one?

cdalt
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'm considering buying the Pasture Vac to pick up manure in my paddocks and pastures (I'm getting old, have a bad back and am finding it difficult to do by hand). Just wondered if any one here has tried one - whether it did a good job, was easy to start, easy to dump, etc. Does the small one do an adequate job for 3-4 horses? Any problems with it? Any other suggestions or options? Thanks!

spotmenow
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
I drool over them...can't afford one but think longingly about them while picking manure out of tall grass :)

ponygirl
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:50 PM
Get a hold of Risa (Happy Trails) as she's a dealer and very honest about the products she carries. :)

Night of Songs
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:49 PM
Have had our Paddock Vac for almost 3 years now. Love it! Same problems here, so-so back and carpal tunnel wrists. We upgraded ours to the new Honda engine, runs on regular gas, so make sure to get that one and the longer 10 ft hose helps as well.

It does start well. If the PV has been sitting for awhile, I have DH crank it up and then it starts well after that with no problem.

No problem dumping the regular Paddock Vac. We decided the Maxi Vac would be too heavy to handle full.

Both Greystone and the dealers we worked with were great.

Good luck! :)

SPF10
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:04 AM
Also thinking about a pasture vac, how do they do with wet manure, had a lot of rain in the east of late?

cdalt
Oct. 28, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the information and the thumbs up from "night of songs". I did read one scathing review that popped up when I did a Google search but I think they had an older model that did not have the Honda engine. I'm still debating this pricey purchase but am leaning towards buying one.

Night of Songs
Nov. 2, 2009, 04:38 PM
Also thinking about a pasture vac, how do they do with wet manure, had a lot of rain in the east of late?

No problem with it sucking up wet manure, we have some lowland areas in our pastures as well. What we do have to watch for is making sure the ground is not too muddy and wet so the lawn tractor and full PV do not get stuck...don't ask me how I know this...don't drive through the big puddles....!

The PV also is a little harder to tip over when it is full with wet manure, so you just have to rock it a little to get it to tip. Hubby has no problem with it full of dry or wet manure.

One really good thing is that you can get caught up very quickly with the PV if weather puts you behind without making yourself exhausted.

Night of Songs
Nov. 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the information and the thumbs up from "night of songs". I did read one scathing review that popped up when I did a Google search but I think they had an older model that did not have the Honda engine. I'm still debating this pricey purchase but am leaning towards buying one.

You're welcome. :D We just put the Honda engine on this year, but really did not have that many problems with the old engine. Best of luck!

TripleRipple
Nov. 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
Wow, there really is a vac for the pastures/paddocks? I need to google that thing.

Lately, cleaning up the paddocks has really beat the snot out of this old body, and I'd been crying in my beer a bit about the perils of getting old (yeah, I know, it still beats the alternative:).

vineyridge
Nov. 4, 2009, 01:25 PM
Question--

The Greystone Pasture Vacs are very expensive. How are they different from, say, the DR lawn vacs which cost half as much, even in the commercial size?

bvsporthorses
Nov. 6, 2009, 09:49 PM
I just purchased my greystone paddock vac about a week ago and I LOVE IT!!! Not too sure how it compares to the DR lawn vacs as I didn't do a demo on one of those models. But I will say that my greystone vac was worth every penny! It has made mucking out our fields MUCH easier and faster, with no backaches involved. I also use it to clean my paddocks and do dog poop duty around the farm. The only thing that I find difficult is backing up the paddock vac into the manure pit to dump.... but I think that is more of an operator issue :lol:

I went on the DR website to look at their vacs and noticed that they were saying they were powerful enough to even pick up pinecones? Perhaps the engine size is different? Just from how the advertisement was worded I didn't get the impression that it would be as powerful or efficient as the Greystone paddock vac, but as I said I havent had the chance to try one. I really liked the option DR had to buy the add on accessories, the extra long hose would be very handy!

vineyridge
Nov. 9, 2009, 01:36 PM
Is the Greystone the only one sold in the US?

I found a vacuum manufactured in Germany by a company called Muck-Truck that claims to pick up only only horse apples but apples and nuts.

Its called a Vakuumsauger.
http://www.mucktruckgermany.com/ZUBEHOR.html

There other brands available in the UK and in Australia that don't seem to have made it to the US.

I also found a llama place that uses a cheap Agri-Fab with a long hose that they have attached to the deck chute and claim works wonderfully for llama beans, wet or dry.