PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on Cooper?

3dazey
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:31 AM
Have been worrying about him since yesterday. Hope someone has some good news for us.

DustInTime04
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:49 PM
I was thinking about them this morning also. Hope it was nothing serious, they are such a class act!

SuperEventer
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:21 PM
I have no idea what happened to him...but I know that Jennie has a FB post that says he came through surgery okay.

GleeRider
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
Have been worrying about him since yesterday. Hope someone has some good news for us.

I really hope that he is alright. What happened to him? Jennie and Cooper are one of my favorite pairs! I'm subscribing to this thread. Someone fill me in please.

gchildean
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
This is a quote from eventingnation.com.

**In an unfortunate incident on Sunday, Jennie Brannigan's excellent horse Cooper was taken off in the horse ambulance after crashing into fence number 9, a skinny oxer, on the CCI3* Show Jumping course. Cooper appeared to be distracted by something on the approach and did not see the jump until the final stride. He slammed on the brakes, knocked the fence over, got tangled up in some of the poles, stayed on his feet, but was visibly unsound upon walking away from the jump. Jennie is an excellent young star in our sport and she gave Cooper a good ride, it was just an unlucky situation.

TBCollector
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:28 PM
His back leg was torn up pretty badly. Don't know what the surgery entailed but praying he is back to his (not so) old self very soon. I saw baby boy Cooper the day he got to her barn in California...she had a grin from ear to ear watching him run around the pasture that day and I think she's been smiling ever since. Who wouldn't be?

shea'smom
Oct. 19, 2009, 04:00 PM
Dang. I have also been worried about him. I sure would like to know what happened and I hope he is ok.

forestergirl99
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:02 PM
omg!! i hope he's alright. he is one of my favorite horses! :(

Halfling
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
Bump. Any word on how Jennie Brannigan's Cooper is? Jingling that he is going to be OK. Such a cool horse.

shea'smom
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:06 AM
bump again. maybe if we keep this at the top we'll get some news.

Oct. 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
yes please, very much want some news!!

gchildean
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm sure when Jennie is ready she will let everyone know what is going on. This is no doubt a very emotional time for her and anyone close to the situation is probably keeping it quiet so the rumor mill doesn't start spinning. We will know when Jennie wants us too.

3dazey
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:25 PM
I met Jennie a couple years ago when she was working for Mike Winter, and then met Cooper while bit-checking (twice!) at PTF last winter. They are both engaging, fun and lovely...clearly ideally suited. They zipped around a soaking wet and freezing cold advanced track to win at the March event, and it was a pleasure to see the teamwork. I will be thinking of them.

GleeRider
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
She has been posting very small tidbit updates on her facebook, so i'm sure she is fine. We probably would have had more info on that if it was serious to the point that Jennie too was injured. I know cooper is "okay" in the sense that he's stable and she's thanking everyone for all the love. But as far as sound to compete, and kick ass like he usually does..? Nobody really knows that at this point. :no:

J3D1
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:46 PM
Cooper is in colic surgery now. No word yet on how this is related to the weekend.-J

gchildean
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
This is from Jennie's facebook page:

Cooper suffered a injury to his tendon when he crashed into a jump in the showjump at fairhill. He was jumping around great and got distracted when spooking on the approach at a xc fence in the ring. He was in surgery that evening to repair his tendon and has a shot to one day come back. Unfortunatley Cooper is currently colicing and under going ... Read Moresurgery. I am not a sercretive person and would rather everyone know the truth. I love Cooper and am devastated but hope he comes out alright. Pray for him for me. He's given me everything and I know it and appreciate him more than comprehendable.

Jleegriffith
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:03 PM
How devastating this must be. I love reading her blog and although I have never met her in person she just seems like a fun person to be around and really loves her horse. Hoping he pulls through. He is in good hands at New Bolton.

Auburn
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:05 PM
Jingling and sending prayers from KY for Cooper and Jennie.

LexInVA
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:06 PM
:( *jingles for Jennie* :(

shea'smom
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:13 PM
AW, crap.

AppJumpr08
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:45 PM
:(:(:(
**Jingling in Maine***

RunForIt
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:12 PM
I met Jennie a couple years ago when she was working for Mike Winter, and then met Cooper while bit-checking (twice!) at PTF last winter. They are both engaging, fun and lovely...clearly ideally suited. They zipped around a soaking wet and freezing cold advanced track to win at the March event, and it was a pleasure to see the teamwork. I will be thinking of them.

big ditto with so many, many well wishes...Jennie is one of a kind, and so is her beloved Cooper. :yes:

CookiePony
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
NOT happy to hear this. How difficult this must be. Praying for him and for Jennie.

McVillesMom
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
Big jingles for them both from Ohio.

canyonoak
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:57 PM
jingles and more jingles, prayers and good thoughts!

Fergs
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
I am so bummed to hear this. Sending all good vibes Cooper's way, pulling for a full recovery!

retreadeventer
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:05 PM
Jingles for Jennie and Cooper. Take a deep breath, Jennie, and shoulder it, and put one foot in front of the other. He's in the very best possible place for medical attention, and the people there know what they are doing. Surgery knocks some horse right out of it, while some horses do it easy, so you have to hope for the best and trust they are doing all they can for him. All the best, and jingling constantly! :)

kcrubin
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:08 PM
In the midst of this Jennie calls a pony clubber at our barn tonight to tell them them she's sorry but she has to reschedule their lesson. They are both a class act. I am so sorry this happened!

RunForIt
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:13 PM
when ANYONE hears that Coop is out of surgery, please pass along the news...hugs to Jennie.

gchildean
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:27 PM
Jennie says Cooper is Up!!

RunForIt
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
Jennie says Cooper is Up!!

WOW! hugs to both...and very best thoughts and prayers....

Junebugz
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
YAY! continuing to Jingle!

One Star
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:50 PM
^^Spam posts reported.

Junebugz
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:54 PM
Wow! I've never seen that... What the heck was that???

canyonoak
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:56 PM
Yayyy, Cooper is up.

More jingles, good thoughts and prayers!

Revelations
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:01 AM
So glad to hear that Cooper came through surgery! Many thoughts and Jingles going out to both he and Jennie!

brindille
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:41 AM
hmmm...the COTH shows cooper jogging on sunday: http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=21601043093718&z_Gallery_ID=1211810093488364&image=11

bizarre!

pass
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:19 AM
hmmm...the COTH shows cooper jogging on sunday: http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.ph...88364&image=11
It was stated earlier in the thread that he was injured during show jumping. So, yes he did jog Sunday.

Badger
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:20 AM
Jingling for a full recovery.

Zu Zu
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:51 AM
Jingles ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimisic !!!

FairWeather
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
wow. what a rollercoaster. I'm hoping Cooper pulls through--what a neat, neat horse and a pleasure to watch. His jump is just amazing.
Crossing all I have two of, get better cooper!

Sara Lieser
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:07 PM
Jennie just sent me a blog post with updates on Cooper. She also sent photos, which I just posted on www.chronofhorse.com.

We're all thinking about them both here at the Chronicle.

Sara

3 Day Ranch
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=1212905093372985&ShowArticle_ID=1212110093386239

I think this is the direct link. You will notice she is reading your postings on the Forum and is grateful for the support

GotSpots
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
We're all pulling for you and for Cooper, Jennie!

CookiePony
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
From Jennie's blog post:

He wasn't just a great horse that won some shows. He changed my life.This brought a tear to my eye and brings home just how tough this must be.
I have such a horse (not a *** horse, but pretty darn special) and I try not to think about something happening to him. Something did happen to him several years ago when our fellow COTHer annikak had him, and how she survived the months of nursing and hoping I cannot say, but she did and Taco is sound and giving me much joy today. She is very, very strong. I bet Jennie is too. Keep your head up, Jennie, and give Cooper some scritches for Taco and me.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
We're all pulling for you and for Cooper, Jennie!

Ditto. From my own experience....don't give up yet but don't make any plans....just take it a day at a time. These guys are so friggen fragile and yet can be so strong at the same time.

JER
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hoping for the best possible outcome for Cooper and Jennie.

LovinRocky
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:56 PM
I am so glad for the update, I have been checking my computer and this thread every hour to see how Cooper is doing.
Major jingles from Texas to Jennie and Cooper, I will continue to keep you both in my prayers.
I can't wait to watch you guys at Rolex!

Catalina
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:03 PM
Wishing the best for Jennie and Cooper.

3dazey
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
You brave and wonderful girl. I hope you represent America and eventing for a long time to come...you make me proud.

tx3dayeventer
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
Sending some Texas-sized jingles to Jennie & Super Cooper!!!

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:02 PM
Wow - no kidding - that is one rollercoaster!!!
Major jingles for both of you guys!!! - You're both amazing!

frugalannie
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:04 PM
The gang of mares send big jingles and wishes for a rapid and uncomplicated recovery. And each one says she'll come down and keep Cooper company while he recovers.;)

Maude
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thoughts and prayers from me too Jennie. I was at FH Sunday and have been worried about your Cooper ever since. You are both Stars. Please know that there are many people out there who you have never met (and probably never will meet) who are keeping you and Cooper in their thoughts and prayers!

Chouteau
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:18 PM
Jennie and Cooper have always been one of my favorites. I can’t imagine what Jeannie is going through. I’m keeping them in my thoughts and hoping for the best!

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:53 PM
Just because I am not knowledgeable on many surgeries, what type of cut would mean surgery on a leg? Would it have to be a deep cut across a ligament or something? I saw the incident happen, and I honestly didn't see him three-legged lame. Maybe I looked away at the wrong moment.

Jingle for Jennie and Cooper. He is an amazing jumper and I love to take photos of him, he's so stylish.

Sharon
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
I hope that all heals well for the both of you....and that if you must, you will make those difficult decisions for your good friend Cooper.

From afar, I have injoyed reading your Cnronicle blog and your work with Eventing Radio. Keep each day as a treasure.....there are many who are thinking good thoughts for you and Cooper.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
Just because I am not knowledgeable on many surgeries, what type of cut would mean surgery on a leg? Would it have to be a deep cut across a ligament or something? I saw the incident happen, and I honestly didn't see him three-legged lame. Maybe I looked away at the wrong moment.

Jingle for Jennie and Cooper. He is an amazing jumper and I love to take photos of him, he's so stylish.

A pin prick can mean surgery if it is in the wrong spot. And sometimes they are not three-legged lame but still would need aggressive treatment if there is a hope for a full recovery. It can be anything.....and our lovely 4 legged money eaters can come up with ways we can't even think about today (good thing we love them)! I swear they like to give us grey hairs and keep vets on their toes.

Natural84
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:19 PM
Coop's hind leg recieved what looked to be a small cut but with further examination revealed a puncture to the tendon itself. He underwent surgery to sew the tendon together, hopefully upping his chances for a full recovery. Unfortuatley the stress got to him and he colicked quite severaly on Tues and went into Emx surgery, which, thank God, he came out of well.

robali
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:20 PM
Jingling like crazy for you and Cooper, Jennie!!

hookedoneventing
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
My thoughts are with you Jennie!! I lost my horse of a lifetime at the age of 6 in July, it is amazing how much they can tear at our hearts, but the love they give us is amazing! I can only imagine how you are feeling, keep your chin up, I am sure your Cooper will come through for you.

Tazzie
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:37 PM
jingling like mad here, such a great horse and rider pair you two are!

SaveTheOtters
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:03 PM
glad to hear good news!
it is strange this was one of my main concerns at school today?
jingle, jingle, jingle.

Cooper
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hang in there Jennie. All your friends in California are pulling for you and the Coopster!

Peggy
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:45 PM
Very happy to hear the good update. The blog photo brought back memories from just about a year ago when Star colicked on the first day of trotting during his rehab. Except I only had to wear blue booties, not an entire blue costume when I went to visit.

J3D1
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:37 PM
we are going to have an update on fundraising efforts to help with Cooper's medical bills in our conversation with Boyd tomorrow, and will also post here when we get more information tomorrow, such as where to send donations.

FairWeather
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:36 PM
Wow, is he not insured??

purplnurpl
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:01 PM
Wow, is he not insured??

there seems to be romantic expectations of equine insurance.

They do not cover everything.
You get so much for this, and so much for that, and whatever you spend there after you pay for from your pocket.

There are also things, like joint injections, that insurance does not cover.

My horse cost me 5 digits in medical bills this past 16 months and I paid about 1/2 of it all.

Coop is looking at a fat bill for sure with two on the table(?) surgeries.
And not to mention the rehab that we offer these guys.
And the out of office therapies like cold lazer and such.

Hyperbaric oxygen chambers are great for wounds. And Aqua treds really help the colic surgery guys come back with low pressure.
It's all quite pricey.

Fund raisers are great. ; )

Also, Jennie, remember that our old faithful Dan won Rolex after colic surgery.
A nice long rest sometimes does them good and they come back better than ever.

I know, speaking for myself, that my horse is full of **** now (after his break) and he used to be the laziest son of a gun alive. He feels like an event horse now. Like I might have my hands full getting to the start box. --or even the dressage arena! (He's dumped me twice in the past week which is unheard of for the big guy)

So chin up. We are thinking of you always and be patient. He's young. He will come back better than ever and it will happen for you.

Kristen
kaboomeventing.com

Cooper
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
we are going to have an update on fundraising efforts to help with Cooper's medical bills in our conversation with Boyd tomorrow, and will also post here when we get more information tomorrow, such as where to send donations.

Fantastic idea. Just let us know the details.

Still jingling like mad for you and Coop Jennie!

Lisa Thomas
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
Thank you for all the incredible outpouring of support for Jennie & Cooper. As Jennie's website designer & sponsor, we have set up a tax deductable support fund through the SCES (Southern California Equestrian Sport) to help offset veterinary expenses. To see more information on the SCES and to donate towards this effort, please visit Jennie's site:

http://www.branniganeventing.com/index.htm

Thanks for all the amazing concern & support!

wookie
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:52 AM
hang in there jennie....my ottb riley had the same surgery at the end of april in new bolton. when i saw your pixs of you in his stall, the memories came flooding back. riley's surgery took about 7 hrs. my friends came from hershey pa, the eastern shore etc to come sit with me in the lobby until the wee hrs of the am. i was beside myself. when they finally came to me and said he was in recovery we all suited up and i went and just hugged him.. it tore me apart to see him shaking..but so happy to see him alive. he tried like mad to get one piece of straw through his muzzle. he had a post op infection but all is well. he is back to his adorable bratty self. i am still paying it off...all in all roughly 13000.00 i know what it is like to love a horse like you do...think all horse people get it...they are a part of our fabric. it truly is one step at a time. julie

inquisitive
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:26 AM
*jingles* for you! I've always been a fan of this pair :)

retreadeventer
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:11 AM
hang in there jennie....my ottb riley had the same surgery at the end of april in new bolton. when i saw your pixs of you in his stall, the memories came flooding back. riley's surgery took about 7 hrs. my friends came from hershey pa, the eastern shore etc to come sit with me in the lobby until the wee hrs of the am. i was beside myself. when they finally came to me and said he was in recovery we all suited up and i went and just hugged him.. it tore me apart to see him shaking..but so happy to see him alive. he tried like mad to get one piece of straw through his muzzle. he had a post op infection but all is well. he is back to his adorable bratty self. i am still paying it off...all in all roughly 13000.00 i know what it is like to love a horse like you do...think all horse people get it...they are a part of our fabric. it truly is one step at a time. julie

Jennie if you are reading this you should talk to Julie...she just went through what you have been .... she's an eventer and in the medical field .. and she can help.

I also would like to tell you that yes, Cooper helped you get those sponsorships and your good things, but you are also the reason, too, with your talent and class and the way you've trained and competed him. Keep going forward, if jingles and prayers help Cooper --he's getting a lot of them from us and everyone in eventing right now. Stay tough! Horses have an amazing capacity to heal. One foot in front of the other! :)

circusponydreams
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:44 AM
Lots of jingles for this classy pair!

3 Day Ranch
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately Jennie familiar with at least the colic surgery portion of this ordeal. Her prior advanced horse, Kozmo, has had 2 colic surgeries and her original event horse, Reality Check, did as well.

Cooper is insured but as stated in other posts, he has all ready exceeded the benefits available under his policy. It is amazing how many people are following Cooper's progress on this forum. Almost 10,000 views in 3 days. If half of you could do even a small donation-$10-we could alleviate this giant problem for Jennie. Figuring out how to pay his bills is weighing very heavily on Jennie right now, it would be nice if we could help her have one less thing to worry about. Thank you!!!!! There is a link to donate on her website.

Reds-n-Greys
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
Adding my jingles for Jennie and Cooper.

I sent my donation....who's next?

roki143
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:53 PM
Sent mine!

Threedaydream
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:55 PM
Cooper is SUCH a cool horse, I love watching you guys clean up!
I really hope this all turns out well for you guys.

Oct. 22, 2009, 01:40 PM
Three day ranch, that's a good reminder, thank you!
My donation has been sent.

I love this pair and sure hope Cooper recovers. Jennie, lots of people are huge fans (How could one not be given the way that S.D. gushes about you???), hang in there.

KimCaps33
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
Snowy Colorado Jingles for Jennie and Cooper. Hang in there!

I sent mine!

bridlewise
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:35 PM
We all certainly hope that Cooper pulls through both of his surgeries with flying colors. We've seen many good event horses come back from colic surgery and hope this is the case with Cooper. Years ago, we had a field hunter who hit a raw stone wall out hunting. He went three legged lame, though all we could see was a tiny cut above his knee. The vet came out, exploered and found that the tendon above the knee had been severed. She was able to open it and sew the tendon back together. The horse was on stall rest for three months, but came back to hunt and show again. And this was long before all the advanced treatments they have nowadays. We jsut kept him quiet and kept any infection at bay and whatever it was, it worked. Here's hoping that Cooper can have the same results and Jennie and he will go on the event another day. Though I'm sure she will be happy to just have him around. Good luck, best wishes and as you say, jingles.

jumpsnake
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:43 PM
Jennie,
I know how tough things like this can be. Please accept my support even though I don't know you.

*sent my donation- not much but we can all chip in!*

corgigirl14
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
Jennie--

I would have given anything at your young age to not only ride (successfully) at your level but have a horse under me like Cooper. Keep your chin up. Please know you have a ton of people out there pulling for you and your Super Pony! Sending many jingles from SW Missouri!

For that reason and many more I sent in my donation. Who's next???????

Here's the link:

Sharon
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:31 PM
Wish it could have been more...

Good Luck

AlexMakowski
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:42 PM
Was watching from the warm-up area. Lots of Jingles from Delaware!

Meredith Clark
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:07 PM
rummaging in my purse to find my wallet!

Even though it's such an amazing hospital the waiting room at New Bolton is like hell on earth :no:

*JINGLES*

clm08
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:59 PM
Mine was just sent in. Jingles from WI.

3dazey
Oct. 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wish it could have been more...

Good Luck

Ditto, but I do know every little bit helps. :yes:

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
rummaging in my purse to find my wallet!

Even though it's such an amazing hospital the waiting room at New Bolton is like hell on earth :no:

*JINGLES*

yeah...their vending machines leave much to be desired. Sending more jingles and good thoughts today. He can come back from this and here's hoping he does.

Lori T
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:42 PM
Sending many jingles for Cooper. So sorry this happened, but thinking good thoughts to a complete recovery!

Zu Zu
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:32 PM
Jingles continue for Cooper !

TxEventer81
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:17 AM
Jennie...

corgigirl14 took the words right out of my mouth. You're such an amazing rider and I have a great deal of respect for your riding... so much so that I would love to send my filly to you after I'm done doing FEH and then YEH :winkgrin:

I hope the donations help alleviate some of your worries so that you can focus on getting your wonderful pony healthy! You are not alone and have so many people who are rooting and praying for you! I have unfortunately been in your shoes and I will continue to pray for you and Cooper. Best wishes from Ohio.

3 Day Ranch
Oct. 24, 2009, 02:11 AM
Thank you to all of the wonderful people who have donated so far. I am posting the link again for new viewers. We are helping to raise money to cover Cooper's medical bills. The number of views on this thread are incredible and I know that you are all pulling for Jennie and Cooper. Every donation-no matter how small really helps. Thank you again.

houndsplease
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:37 PM
check out jennies new entry to her chrono blog, cooper and jennie need all our support :)

sent my donation.

mybelle
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
I just made my donation.

Dear Jennie - stay strong! My horse and I have you in our thoughts and prayers

devilsadvocate666
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:38 PM
Trust me, I am sorry for the injury and I know first hand it sucks to have massive vet bills but... She did just brag about buying a big truck and trailer on her blog, perhaps she should sell that to pay for her bills like the rest of us would have to.

Let the flame fest begin.

NCRider
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:03 PM
Welcome back Mac Deuce ( I think that was your last name). It's nice of you to contribute again. :confused:
I'd like to think that if I had large vet bills, my friends would help me to the extent they could. JB just seems to know a lot more people than I do. :D Who knows if the amount of donations that will come in will make a huge difference one way or the other in the impact that this accident is going to have on her life, but I would imagine that they're a much appreciated gesture of support. If she doesn't have to sell off all her posessions to save her horse's life, who am I (and who are you) to begrudge her that. People do nice things for other people all the time, and that's a good thing.

retreadeventer
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:19 PM
NCRider, you are too polite.

There is some precedent recently for several upper level riders to ask for help from their friends and supporters. I know several trainers with MUCH more than this poor girl that took donations for trips to Europe, etc. If people want to give and feel this lovely girl and her wonderful horse are worthy then let it be. It is neither our business nor your place, Devils Advocate, to even hint that she isn't deserving. (Quite the opposite, IMO) And OBVIOUSLY in order to continue in business she will need those business tools to pay these bills!
These young, upper level riders - really, just kids now - will represent our nation someday in the Olympics and at the World Games, etc. They are fantastically gifted riders with true talent on horseback and most are considerate, lovely individuals that almost everyone who is associated with them enjoy and respect. Good young riders have it VERY tough today. I personally am too broke to give $, but I am praying for Cooper and Jennie and trying hard to keep positive thoughts going for them as my contribution!

Doodle
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:42 PM
Trust me, I am sorry for the injury and I know first hand it sucks to have massive vet bills but... She did just brag about buying a big truck and trailer on her blog, perhaps she should sell that to pay for her bills like the rest of us would have to.

I could not AGREE MORE! and I am not alone. I guess getting a real job is out of the question? or downsizing? or, maybe not compete and put the entry fees toward the vet bill?

I know tons of people with nice horses and no money... where are their donations...?

No one is saying that jenny is not deserving.. just no more deserving than anyone else with a horse, vet bills, wrecked truck and trailer, etc... how many "please send jingles" threads are there on this board ?? and how many donations have been made to pay THEIR vet bills??

bean
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
I could not AGREE MORE! and I am not alone. I guess getting a real job is out of the question? or downsizing? or, maybe not compete and put the entry fees toward the vet bill?

I know tons of people with nice horses and no money... where are their donations...?

No one is saying that jenny is not deserving.. just no more deserving than anyone else with a horse, vet bills, wrecked truck and trailer, etc... how many "please send jingles" threads are there on this board ?? and how many donations have been made to pay THEIR vet bills??

YUP!!

Candle
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:29 PM
And what business does that have being on a support thread for Jennie? :confused: If people want to donate, why does that bother you so much? She's not misrepresenting her position and coming onto COTH saying that she's flat broke and needs help... In fact, I just read her blog and she seems to be quite the class act. Start your own thread for bellyaching.

3 Day Ranch
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:30 PM
NCRider, you are too polite.

There is some precedent recently for several upper level riders to ask for help from their friends and supporters. I know several trainers with MUCH more than this poor girl that took donations for trips to Europe, etc. If people want to give and feel this lovely girl and her wonderful horse are worthy then let it be. It is neither our business nor your place, Devils Advocate, to even hint that she isn't deserving. (Quite the opposite, IMO) And OBVIOUSLY in order to continue in business she will need those business tools to pay these bills!
These young, upper level riders - really, just kids now - will represent our nation someday in the Olympics and at the World Games, etc. They are fantastically gifted riders with true talent on horseback and most are considerate, lovely individuals that almost everyone who is associated with them enjoy and respect. Good young riders have it VERY tough today. I personally am too broke to give $, but I am praying for Cooper and Jennie and trying hard to keep positive thoughts going for them as my contribution!

Thank you for your kind words. I think you summarized things very well. Those that dont wish to/ can't donate-shouldn't. There have many inquires starting immediately after Fairhill about what people could do to help. The donations that have been received are greatly appreciated I am sure. Jennie did not ask anyone to do this donation drive. Her friends put it together as a way to help. So please don't criticize her it was not her idea.

I guess I am just surprised how critical several of these posts are. Jennie does have a new "used" truck. Not a new trailer. Hauling horses is what pays for her horse expenses. Riding and hauling is her job.

I would ask you to remember that words do hurt. For those of you who don't know her, this is a very nice girl, who would be the first to help you if you asked. She currently has both of her horses in New Bolton clinic and has really been encouraged by the emotional support she has received by this board. Beyond the financial concerns-you all know what it is like to have an ill or injuried "partner". Please don't make this negative.

jumpXrails
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Doodle;4463648]I could not AGREE MORE! and I am not alone. I guess getting a real job is out of the question? or downsizing? or, maybe not compete and put the entry fees toward the vet bill?

I am not sure what you consider a real job.......a lawyer....a doctor..what type of real job do you expect a professional rider to walk into ..... I am a good friend of Jennies and know how hard she works at True Prospect, many lessons are taught before and after her "real day job " begins. As for "downsizing" or "selling her truck" Jennie covers many expenses by shipping clients horses.........and phillips horses to shows etc.

Before you pass judgement on her life style maybe you should make an effort to get to know Jennie first.

My heart goes out to Jennie and Cooper.

RunForIt
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
For what it's worth to all Jennie's supporters, I teach little kids that the best way to make people who annoy you or are being mean to you go away is to ignore them...when they aren't getting a reaction from you, its no fun any more and they usually go away...try it.

All the mean spirited people in the world can't change how you feel or why you want to support Jennie in whatever way you can. Do it in peace. Crap is what it is...smell it, turn up your nose, step over it to get to where you're going...don't let crap steal your day.

Off my soapbox. :cool:
Lynda RFI (crap is why our farm name and my signature was invented: "RUN FOR IT...!!!!!")

JER
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:05 PM
I don't know what kind of 'real job' someone in their early 20s could get that would allow them to pay for multiple equine surgeries.

Eventing is a small community. Most of us, even those with 'real jobs', are always only one serious fall or veterinary issue away from serious financial hardship. The costs are high -- even with insurance -- and recovery time is long.

Jennie Brannigan knows this. Here's her blog post from August 13: Let's Help a Fellow Eventer (http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=1212905093372985&ShowArticle_ID=1211308093263942). In that post, she asks her readers to take a look at the Caring Bridge page for California eventer Allison Angove and consider contributing to the fund her parents have set up to offset her medical expenses.

I guess the right answer to that post is 'Hey, Allison's parents -- get a real job'?

No, of course not.

There's only one right answer from the eventing community:

We're here for you.

wolfmare
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:24 AM
There's only one right answer from the eventing community:

We're here for you.[/QUOTE]

Well said JER. Those that can open hearts and sometimes wallets, do.
I am sad for anyone who sees someone struggling and begrudges their access to a caring community. What is there to be jealous of here? What does it take away from anyone else?

Are there any updates on Coopers condition?

Eventfan4LIFE
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:41 AM
People are free to do what they want with their money.
Having said that: I am not worried about Cooper's bills being paid. I am however worried about my horse's bills being paid. And I am worried about many, many of my friends (good riders, all of them) paying their own bills.
In this economy, it does strike me as a little crass to have a fundraising effort for a rider who has sponsors coming out the ying-yang and anonymous donors giving her thousands of dollars. And who is currently shopping for a new horse.
She is a beautiful rider and by all accounts a good person. Her horse is awesome. I have no problem with people doing whatever they want to help her. But I can't be one of them.

eventer80
Oct. 28, 2009, 08:51 AM
To those that are against helping her: Why even respond to this thread? Even if you don't agree, wouldn't a more prudent thing be to start a spin off about your frustrations in donating to pro eventers? It does the world no good to be negative in such a positive and helpful thread. If Jennie (sp?) is reading, why does it make you feel better to hurt her feelings?

S A McKee
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:34 AM
To those that are against helping her: Why even respond to this thread? Even if you don't agree, wouldn't a more prudent thing be to start a spin off about your frustrations in donating to pro eventers? It does the world no good to be negative in such a positive and helpful thread. If Jennie (sp?) is reading, why does it make you feel better to hurt her feelings?

'Frustration' is an odd word to choose.

I too wonder why this happens. When one has a crash folks want to pony up dollars for folks that often are much better off then those who are donating.
And when this topic comes up it gets dismissed as negative. Everyone wishes a good recovery for the horse involved, it's just the donation that's being questioned and in most cases the question isn't specific to the current injured/horse person, it's a general question.
I don't think this happens in other pro sports. If a player is injured their fans aren't in a rush to pay their living expenses are they?

CookiePony
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
My mother used to say that in certain situations, if you do not have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. This is one of those situations. If you have issues with fundraising efforts for UL riders, start your own thread. Complaining here reflects badly on the complainers and accomplishes nothing except kicking someone when she's down.

To echo JER: We're here for you, Jennie. Not all of us can afford to donate, but you, Cooper, and Ping have many good wishes.

wookie
Oct. 28, 2009, 11:13 AM
hey all... everyone is entitled to their opinion. individually or collectively we need not agree with it but this is a public forum where all views may be shared..popular or not. so everyone needs to take a deep breath and simmer. and if you really want to balance the donating thing for all levels...i am still paying off riley's 13000. bill...you know the horse i rescued off the track. JUST JOKING!!!!!!!! anyways,,, lets all play nice in the sand box...sounding a bit like another forum i avoid.

MintHillFarm
Oct. 28, 2009, 12:59 PM

Really poor form with your above comments. And why, whoever you are, not use your regular membership name. So she has a new truck and trailer... Maybe she will sell it, it's none of your business...but don't turn a thread of good wishes and intentions from others into a pointed beef against her.

Prayers and best wishes to Cooper and Jennie....

wookie
Oct. 28, 2009, 01:24 PM
here i go again. jennie...if you read this...hang in there. riley had multiple complications after this surgery. he had anterior enteritis which caused the colic. up to new bolton...long long surgery. in for three days then they wanted him home. they still have that issue with salmonella so i was ok with this as the caution yellow tape went up around the horses by him.. they spike a fever and up goes the tape. he went home on no meds...one wk later he could barely walk on his front feet. frantic page to vet and only then did i notice thick strands of pus hanging from his incision. first 6 inches split open...i had nightmares about him popping open. one wk later...the news was a very aggressive staph infection. the antibiotcs would cost half of what his surgery did and now he needed daily gastrogard and equiox. meds were over 300 a day for two wks. your pic of coop's incision looks great. i am sure they are testing his stool for salmonella...but ask to be sure. he looks depressed but that is to be expected..riley looked that way for about 3 wks. riley was just my second horse until this experience...now he is truly my horse and i am his one person. he calls to me when i come to the field and has learned to take full advantage of me....yesterday a lesson on how to handle my horse on the ground...humiliating. take care of yourself. i ended up with lymes and a subsequent virus from july until now...still have a sinus infection that they want to drain. i took care of everything but me. so remember....coop needs you to be strong and healthy for him. jules

mybelle
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:51 PM
The reason I felt compelled to donate is because I care deeply about this sport and the young talented riders are our future. I will never be an Advanced level competitor. My contribution allows me to be a part of something I love, without needing the talent to do it. It matters very much to me.

FYI, I did not break the bank with my contribution - I am on a serious budget here. To those who are saying many cannot afford to donate, that's fine no one is asking anyone to donate who cannot. But the flipside is that there are those of us that love eventing that much that we will skip a night out to contribute.

Just because someone will not donate to you when your horse is hurt (and, yes, mine sustained an expensive injury not so long ago), doesn't mean - for some of us - that we would not choose to donate. But that brings me more to a moral debate, which is not where this discussion should go.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 28, 2009, 02:59 PM
I don't think this happens in other pro sports. If a player is injured their fans aren't in a rush to pay their living expenses are they?

It happens often in bull riding and rodeo. It happens often in a lot of other lesser well known sports.... Perhaps it SHOULD happen more often else where (not sports related).

Life doesn't always just hand things to you. Those stating that they have bigger problems than Jennie....first off, I'm sorry... but second, maybe you need to take a more proactive approach for your self? There was a little girl who started lemonade stands to help raise money for a cure to an illness that she was inflicted with....look at what her work accomplished.

Helping someone else feels good. You choose who you want to help...and some people are more willing and/or able to help others. And one doesn't always have to help some one who is in a worse off position than themselves. Look at all the time others give to volunteer at events so that many of us can compete?

I'm not completely altrusitic...there are people I'm willing to help...and others, not so much. We all draw the lines in different places. And no ones choices are right or wrong. HOWEVER I never think giving to help someone else is a bad thing...whether or not *I* would give in the same situation. Those are actions and traits in other people I think I would rather encourage...not be negative about!

Sending more jingles that Cooper recovers!

roki143
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
Not that I need to qualify my donation, but I put up money just because I believe what goes around comes around. People that are close to me have offered their help when I really didn't even need it (let alone when I did), in many different ways. People I have never even met before have been so nice as to split hotel rooms, etc... when I wanted to find ways to get where I needed to go. I figure it's all part of the pay-it-forward process.

I would hope that if I was really in a bind, those that I have contact with would help me out - and do so because they know how hard I work. Like someone said, Jennie just has contact with A LOT more people! :)

Cooper
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hang in there Jennie!

Just a quick story about Jennie. I met her a few years ago when she was staying in Paso Robles getting ready for young riders. She was keeping Cooper at Estrella Equine Hospital and training over at Twin Rivers. I had brought my mare in one day for some routine stuff, and I had my Corgi puppy, Baxter, with me. Baxter started playing with Jennie's dog, and unbeknownst to me, they decided to go into a paddock with a mare that had a newborn foal.

The mare got very protective of her foal, and tried to chase the dogs out. Jennie's dog made a hasty retreat, but Baxter had no idea where to go, and the mare almost stomped him. Jennie DOVE over a fence to save my pup. I have never seen someone leap over a fence so quickly. She saved Baxters life, and she did so quickly and without a thought of what could happen to her. Let me tell you, that mare was furious. I felt horrible for letting Bax out of my sight. That is just Jennie. She loves the animals. She is so humble and she works so hard. I can't even imagine how hard this is for her to go through with both her horses. Sending lots of healing thoughts and best wishes to you and the boys.

devilsadvocate666
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:19 AM
Really poor form with your above comments. And why, whoever you are, not use your regular membership name. So she has a new truck and trailer... Maybe she will sell it, it's none of your business...but don't turn a thread of good wishes and intentions from others into a pointed beef against her.

Prayers and best wishes to Cooper and Jennie....

Perhaps my comments were made in haste and were a bit vague. To me making business decisions about where and how to spend your money is part of growing up. Situations change and that is life.

Jennie has several talents that will serve her well in the sport, she is a talented rider, a hard worker and most importantly has an amazing ability for persuasion and self promotion. I don't say this as a derogatory comment, it has and will continue to serve her well in her career. What I take issue with is she has created a well crafted and very public story that is (in my opinion) not entirely accurate. Nothing dramatic, mostly slight exaggerations in the "poor me" category. This has created a big fan base (do not confuse fans with friends) which she is expertly leveraging.

I don't mean to kick Jennie when she is down but life presents teachable moments and this is one of them. It saddens me to see her learn that deception gets you rewards. There is no need for it, she is a hard working, talented person who happens to have parents that could afford to buy her several fancy horses when she was young. Perhaps her situation has changed since she left California but if not a classy person would say, thanks for all your support and best wishes but please don't send money if you can't afford it.

As for the "new name", I have never posted before and to all your relief will probably never post again. I want to be anonymous for two reasons. One, I know Jennie and have seen the negative side of her powers of persuasion at work. It is a small and vindictive community and I don't want to get hurt. Two, I am insulating myself emotionally from the backlash my unpopular opinion will (and did) evoke. Same reason WOOKIE felt it necessary to put "JUST KIDDING!!!" in her post about her vet bills, to protect herself from being hurt when nobody pony's up to help her.

Sara Lieser
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that Jennie's posted another update on www.chronofhorse.com (direct link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=1212905093372985&ShowArticle_ID=1212810092957716).

She's made a very generous offer to thank anyone and everyone who has helped her in this time of need.

flutie1
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:12 PM
Perhaps my comments were made in haste and were a bit vague. To me making business decisions about where and how to spend your money is part of growing up. Situations change and that is life.

Jennie has several talents that will serve her well in the sport, she is a talented rider, a hard worker and most importantly has an amazing ability for persuasion and self promotion. I don't say this as a derogatory comment, it has and will continue to serve her well in her career. What I take issue with is she has created a well crafted and very public story that is (in my opinion) not entirely accurate. Nothing dramatic, mostly slight exaggerations in the "poor me" category. This has created a big fan base (do not confuse fans with friends) which she is expertly leveraging.

I don't mean to kick Jennie when she is down but life presents teachable moments and this is one of them. It saddens me to see her learn that deception gets you rewards. There is no need for it, she is a hard working, talented person who happens to have parents that could afford to buy her several fancy horses when she was young. Perhaps her situation has changed since she left California but if not a classy person would say, thanks for all your support and best wishes but please don't send money if you can't afford it.

As for the "new name", I have never posted before and to all your relief will probably never post again. I want to be anonymous for two reasons. One, I know Jennie and have seen the negative side of her powers of persuasion at work. It is a small and vindictive community and I don't want to get hurt. Two, I am insulating myself emotionally from the backlash my unpopular opinion will (and did) evoke. Same reason WOOKIE felt it necessary to put "JUST KIDDING!!!" in her post about her vet bills, to protect herself from being hurt when nobody pony's up to help her.

Mean.

KSevnter
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:15 PM
She's made a very generous offer to thank anyone and everyone who has helped her in this time of need.

I don't know her at all but from that entry she certainly appears to be a genuine and classy young woman who is trying to give back to a sport that has been generous to her. More than I can say about many who are connected with this sport these days.

Devil's advocate, even if she got a leg up from her parents during her young rider days, so what? The majority those who make it to the upper levels early in life did as well, I know I did (and no, I do not ride for a living). It is what you do with those opportunities that illustrate the type of person you are, and this young woman is using her skills as a rider and trainer to thank those who helped. That speaks volumes about her character.

TyB
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
What happened to Cambalda? In her latest blog entry she mentioned he also had surgery.

mjrtango93
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:42 PM
What happened to Cambalda? In her latest blog entry she mentioned he also had surgery.

I was wondering the same thing. Three horse surgeries in one week! Oi vay, I think I would be in the hospital with ulcers and heart failure by now. Also that was a fabulous offer she made to those that have helped with a free lesson or warm up at a show for those that have helped, and a very nice way to give back to the sport that is supporting her when she needs it. For those people that don't want to or don't think it's right to donate then don't, that is up to you. You are no better or worse of a person then the people that feel compelled to donate to her vet bills. Just do what is right for yourself in your situation.

Jennie I wish you nothing but the best with both of your horses. Here's to a quick (and hopefully much smoother) recovery for both Cooper and Ping. Keep hanging in there and I'm sure we will see you at the shows again come spring ready to take it all on again.

TBCollector
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:00 PM
Jennie has several talents that will serve her well in the sport, she is a talented rider, a hard worker and most importantly has an amazing ability for persuasion and self promotion.

Uh...she's funny, extremely likeable, and mature beyond her years. If that's your definition of "amazing ability for persuasion and self promotion," then so be it.

I have a strong suspicion I know who you are, Devilsadvocate666. And because I can barely afford the (many) vet bills I am currently dealing with it, it was very hard for me to justify sending money to help with Cooper's bills.

Ironically, it was YOUR "amazing ability for persuasion" that convinced me to just send a few dollars Coop's way.

In her latest blog post, Jennie says she is trying to think of a way to repay people who have helped her...course walks, private lessons, etc. I hope everyone will join me in requesting that she simply allow us to give Cooper a big hug the next time we see him. Rolex 2011 would work for me. :winkgrin:

LLDM
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:08 PM
Mean?

I don't know that I would call it mean exactly. Not nice, for sure. But I can't bring myself to call it either mean, nor inappropriate either.

Who could expect to come on the COTH BB and ask for money for anything and not expect to be questioned. Every single cause that elicits even a whiff of requesting cash or donations in any form is routinely and consistently vetted here. Everything from rescued minis to quilts for terminally ill children gets scrutinized. And it has become that way here for a reason - there have been too many attempts at fraud.

So even the best causes are going to have to run the gauntlet. Which is ultimately a good thing. If they didn't this board would be over run by Nigerian con artists.

Yes, I am once again playing the devil's advocate myself. And I fully expect to get yelled at by all kinds of people. I don't mind. Nothing bothers me more than 100% politically correct threads where everyone smiles and nods and agrees with each other. No one learns anything that way.

I do hope that Cooper recovers. I hope that all horses in need get all the help we can offer. I have no idea if Jennie is a good person or not, but I am rather sure she is no more perfect than anyone else. I hope she doesn't take offense by being questioned and realizes even the most hard working and unselfish rescuers get the third degree on a fairly regular basis around here. And that sometimes the nefarious are rooted out that way. It's part and parcel of getting donations. Ask any non-profit - sometimes you have to justify yourself and your cause. Everyone is entitled to share their hard earned money with whomever they chose and/or ask the questions of their choice.

All zipped up! Have at me! ;)

SCFarm

flutie1
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:32 PM
LLDM - A clarification. Jennie never asked for money. A friend/supporter in California solicited funds on her behalf to help with the vet bills and set up a method to get it done. There's a subtle difference here.

JER
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:44 PM
LLDM - A clarification. Jennie never asked for money.

Actually, the only thing that Jennie asked for -- via her blog -- was for people to get the word out that injured eventer Allison Angove's family needed help with her medical bills.

No one should ever feel like they're obligated to send money to any cause. But expressions of support and messages of good will can carry just as much meaning as financial donations.

And there's no good reason to root against Cooper's recovery.

tja789
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:59 PM
By almost all accounts JB is a very nice person as well as a skilled and successful rider. And I certainly do hope that Cooper recovers as rapidly and completely as possible. I'm sorry that he got injured and needed surgery.

However, I do wish that requests for donations were not included in the messages of condolence and good will. I have to agree with others who have been a bit offended by this. Here we have a young rider who is very financially privileged. That’s why she grew up with excellent horses, excellent instructors, numerous opportunities to travel and compete, etc. Of course she has talent and works hard, but there are hundreds of other equally talented and hard-working young riders who can only dream of the opportunities that were handed to Jennie. Undoubtedly she still has a financial safety net that other riders completely lack. Yes, I know: life isn’t fair. Them that has, gets. It’s just annoying to be encouraged to actively support this regrettable truism.

LLDM
Oct. 29, 2009, 03:39 PM
Whether or not she asked for herself or others did so for her makes no difference to my point. No one gets to benefit from the kindness of strangers here without somebody questioning it. It is just the nature of this board and something I think is a good & reasonable thing.

I personally think it is fine for her to ask for help. If it were my horse and there was any possibility that people here could make a difference about the outcome, you can bet I would ask. I would do just about anything for my horses.

I would also not be surprised if someone were to question me. It would not disappoint me, nor upset me. Nor would I claim to be worthy! Just desperate to help my pony and thankful for any help.

In other words, I hope no one gets upset by the questioning. It is rather normal, and often necessary. In most cases, it helps the cause more than it hurts it!

SCFarm

purplnurpl
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:00 PM
By almost all accounts JB is a very nice person as well as a skilled and successful rider. And I certainly do hope that Cooper recovers as rapidly and completely as possible. I'm sorry that he got injured and needed surgery.

However, I do wish that requests for donations were not included in the messages of condolence and good will. I have to agree with others who have been a bit offended by this. Here we have a young rider who is very financially privileged. That’s why she grew up with excellent horses, excellent instructors, numerous opportunities to travel and compete, etc. Of course she has talent and works hard, but there are hundreds of other equally talented and hard-working young riders who can only dream of the opportunities that were handed to Jennie. Undoubtedly she still has a financial safety net that other riders completely lack. Yes, I know: life isn’t fair. Them that has, gets. It’s just annoying to be encouraged to actively support this regrettable truism.

I agree completely. I'm surprised negative messages started popping up though.
When I read about donations and fund raisers I thought to myself...humph...must be nice--and went on about my business. Well, I think I may have mentioned/complained about it to my mom and I THEN went on about my business. lol.
Wish all my friends and folk would have helped pay for Boomer's 20K worth of expenses. He was not an advanced horse by any means but he will be if he comes out of it all OK. I would have never thought about donations nor would have my friends. And now I'll be digging myself out of debt for a while.
But that's life. ; )

If you have enough money to spare for someone else's extra curriculars/sport then that's awesome and thank you for sharing.
Cooper deserves the best he can get.

ozzy24
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
On her facebook it said that Calmbalda hurt his knee but that he will be fine.

LovinRocky
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:07 PM
So many of us have their very own "Cooper." I know I do. My "Cooper" and I only compete training level, I am surely maxed out there due to lack of talent..and guts lol.

I too have a few thousand dollars worth of vet bills. I pay $300 a month on, luckily my vet is kind enough to take payments.

I have kept up with Jennie and Cooper for awhile now because they are an amazing pair. I have never met either, but maybe I will have that chance someday.
I believe their partnership and trust in eachother is so obvious; when I read about them or look at their photos and videos. I am sure we will be seeing them representing the USA in international competition including the Olympics.

This is a horrible set back for this incredible pair, and the extreme emotional process Jennie is going through really pulls on my heart. Not because she may not be able to compete Cooper, but because the love she shares with him. I can relate to that all too well.

I don't have any money, but I chose to send a little as my way of supporting a very talented pair through a very hard time.

I also donate money to the Leukemia society, Susan B. Koman breast cancer research, the Texas State Troopers, my local humane society, the Boys and Girls Clubs and I have donated to help with assisting up and coming riders for the USA.

I have not been personally affected by any of those above organizations, well maybe a citation or two from a trooper, but I still choose to donate what little I can to help make a difference in someone elses life.

Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and opinions and I respect that. But for the time being I will continue to log onto the Chronical blog first thing every morning and during my lunch break to see if Jennie has posted any updates. And I will continue to keep them both in my prayers.
And I agree with TBCollector, I would love to give Cooper a hug and kiss.

clm08
Oct. 29, 2009, 05:21 PM
With all due respect to all of the posters who said they are dealing with huge vet bills for their horses but are not expecting anyone to contribute to their expenses, I believe the main difference lies in the fact that Cooper is one of the very promising young advanced horses that many of us are hoping will be representing the US in WEG, Olympic, and 4* events in the future.

We follow these talented horses/riders and hope they can reach the top of this sport.

Jennie did not ask for any donations. Her friends and well-wishers have asked how they can help her and those who so feel inclined or are able to, have sent their contributions. Mine was more like a gesture than anything that will make any difference in her vet bill, unfortunately.

In the future we had better not complain the US lacks talented horse/riders at the international level if we are not ready to support the young talent we have when they are facing adversity. When I read some of the posts I see a lot of sour grapes...

JumpingBug
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:46 AM
"LLDM
Grand Prix
I have no idea if Jennie is a good person or not, but I am rather sure she is no more perfect than anyone else. I hope she doesn't take offense by being questioned
All zipped up! Have at me! "

I believe you want that.. People to Have it out at your comments. Like a junkie you often I think post crud to get Attention.... Any attention.. Does not incensed me just makes me terribly sad for you...

asterix
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:09 AM
Can I respectfully suggest that the (perfectly reasonable) conversation about donating for people's expenses be moved to a spinoff thread? This is not, as far as I can tell, unique to this horse/rider and it is obviously a topic that people want to talk about.

I keep logging on to see if there were updates about Cooper, and instead there are increasingly snarky comments back and forth on this other topic.

Let's just have that conversation somewhere else, so it can become more generic and not sort of accidentally focused on one horse/rider.

PA 3Day
Oct. 30, 2009, 12:40 PM
I also log in to see if there are updateson Cooper's condition. I won't anymore as I hate reading the crap that some people write.
Reading some of these posts make me embarrassed for our sport. What happened to hoping the best for our animals and the people who take the chance to compete at the upper levels of this sport? The only thing I can see that Jennie is guilty of is working her butt off (yes, you have to work even with expensive horses, you should all know that at least), competing and sometimes winning, so therefore she has become a known commodity. Unfortunately because we all know her name and some of us follow her successes and set backs, she opens herself up to the backlash that some of you feel is appropriate. IMHO it is not. My parents taught me a long time ago, if you cannot say something nice, don't say anything at all. Since none of you have personal knowledge of what is currently in her bank account, maybe you should stay away from that topic.
I know the free speech and all, but this is not polite. If I was in Jennie shoes, have been but not right now (sick animal wise) this would hurt me deeply.

I hope she can ignore the negative and use the postive.

I don't post often, don't really have time to be on that often, but I do when I think you all are getting a little out of hand and causing more harm than needed.

clm08
Oct. 31, 2009, 12:43 AM
Glad to read the most recent update on Jennie's blog. Hope Cooper is well enough to go home very soon!

3dazey
Oct. 31, 2009, 09:53 AM
:yes: Great news on both the horses. Many healing wishes still heading their way! :)

staceyk
Oct. 31, 2009, 10:00 PM
Speaking for myself,

My young horse's vet expenses just hit the 5 digits, which I know is technically not a huge amount on the continuum of horse expenses. But it's a lot for me. When I read about Cooper on this thread, I figured Ms. Brannigan sat in the same waiting area I was in at New Bolton when I was there a month ago. And I bet she and I were having some of the same worries, although her horse has a more serious condition. That may be about all we have in common, but it's enough.

I sent money and was pleased to do it. I'm glad someone posted on this rider's behalf.

SEK

eventrider
Oct. 31, 2009, 11:43 PM
If you dont want to, or cannot send money, that is fine, but how about just show Jennie a little support and let her know that we have all been there at some point, or will be. We are all in this same sport for the love of the horses and the connection and joy we get out of them, whether we have x amount of money or not. I cant imagine that it makes her feelings toward her horse or what she is is going through any less difficult. So lets just show her, or anyone else in the future that is in her spot our support and tell her we wish her the best. It sucks to feel like even one person is judging you or against you most of the time, but especially in times like this.

Christan Trainor

xcPayge
Oct. 31, 2009, 11:44 PM
If you dont want to, or cannot send money, that is fine, but how about just show Jennie a little support and let her know that we have all been there at some point, or will be. We are all in this same sport for the love of the horses and the connection and joy we get out of them, whether we have x amount of money or not. I cant imagine that it makes her feelings toward her horse or what she is is going through any less difficult. So lets just show her, or anyone else in the future that is in her spot our support and tell her we wish her the best. It sucks to feel like even one person is judging you or against you most of the time, but especially in times like this.

Christan Trainor

Very well said.

kt-rose
Nov. 1, 2009, 09:34 AM
With all due respect to all of the posters who said they are dealing with huge vet bills for their horses but are not expecting anyone to contribute to their expenses, I believe the main difference lies in the fact that Cooper is one of the very promising young advanced horses that many of us are hoping will be representing the US in WEG, Olympic, and 4* events in the future.

We follow these talented horses/riders and hope they can reach the top of this sport.

Jennie did not ask for any donations. Her friends and well-wishers have asked how they can help her and those who so feel inclined or are able to, have sent their contributions. Mine was more like a gesture than anything that will make any difference in her vet bill, unfortunately.

In the future we had better not complain the US lacks talented horse/riders at the international level if we are not ready to support the young talent we have when they are facing adversity. When I read some of the posts I see a lot of sour grapes...

This definitely!! The best and the brightest are exciting to support, they raise the bar for all of us and show us how much can be accomplished with hard work and dedication. They set examples for and inspire our kids and represent us around the world. A few of the really special riders manage to set examples when things go badly as well as on the good days. JB and Cooper are definitely among them. I very much hope all goes as well as it can and Cooper recovers completely!!!

Laddy Boy
Nov. 1, 2009, 06:22 PM
I know it's none of my business so I am not asking for exact numbers, but how much money are we talking about for all of this care? I was only wondering how much it takes to have a horse of this caliber returne to his former self......will it cost about 10,000.00, 20,000.00,etc? Just curious...thanks.

Jo
Nov. 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
Laddy, are you talking about just for the surgeries, hospital stay, after care, etc.? Colic surgery ran me almost $10k easy and my horse had a "remarkably swift" recovery.

purplnurpl
Nov. 2, 2009, 10:39 AM
I know it's none of my business so I am not asking for exact numbers, but how much money are we talking about for all of this care? I was only wondering how much it takes to have a horse of this caliber returne to his former self......will it cost about 10,000.00, 20,000.00,etc? Just curious...thanks.

I'm am going to stick out probably over 25K.
Probably 20K on the surgeries alone. Then add on all of the rehab therapies.

From my own 16 months:
2 MRIs
special shoeing for 6 months
lameness exams with blocks every 6 weeks the first 8 months
hock, neck, and SI injections
2 ultra sounds
extensive shock wave on two different sites
PRP
24 cold lazer therapy sessions

was about 20K. Insurance paid out about 10K.
Insurance gave me:
paid for right foot special shoeing
1200 towards shock wave
1200 towards PRP
Paid 2 MRIs in full
Paid 2 ultrasounds in full
paid for lameness exams
they even footed his respurine injections. (sp?)

When you are living pay check to pay check 10K is devastating.

It is so great that everyone has come together as a community to help Jennie and 'our' loved Cooper. Because we have all felt great joy watching this pair rise to the top. I'm sad that we won't get to see them at Rolex next year. We'll all be waiting impatiently for 2011 to roll around!

dirquisa
Nov. 2, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm am going to stick out probably over 25K.
Probably 20K on the surgeries alone. Then add on all of the rehab therapies.

From my own 16 months:
2 MRIs
special shoeing for 6 months
lameness exams with blocks every 6 weeks the first 8 months
hock, neck, and SI injections
2 ultra sounds
extensive shock wave on two different sites
PRP
24 cold lazer therapy sessions

was about 20K. Insurance paid out about 10K.
Insurance gave me:
paid for right foot special shoeing
1200 towards shock wave
1200 towards PRP
Paid 2 MRIs in full
Paid 2 ultrasounds in full
paid for lameness exams
they even footed his respurine injections. (sp?)

When you are living pay check to pay check 10K is devastating.

It is so great that everyone has come together as a community to help Jennie and 'our' loved Cooper. Because we have all felt great joy watching this pair rise to the top. I'm sad that we won't get to see them at Rolex next year. We'll all be waiting impatiently for 2011 to roll around!

Sandman
Nov. 2, 2009, 03:48 PM
A lot of messages here make it sound like Cooper is going to make a full recovery and go to Rolex. Is that actually relistic? I thought he might only be pasture sound after all these surgeries and expense and that Jennie's ok with that, just as long as he survives.

QHEventr
Nov. 2, 2009, 05:38 PM
I would say if his only issue was the collic surgery, he could go on to a full, athletic career. However, none of us know the extent of the original injury to his leg. KO's Upstage made quite the comeback after collic surgery and a fractured stifle (IIRC).

Speaking from personal experience, my former advanced horse was unable to return to competition, but is quite comfy hanging out, and taking me for the occasional ride. He Not only battled a septic hock (due to a tap that was done at the vet school), but while coming back from that, he did the splits in the paddock, and tore the ligament attachment on the inside of his stifle. Try as we did, he was never going to return to the top level athlete that he was.

(also, as far as donating to the cause goes, and the comment about Cooper not being the average horse, and Jennie being a very talented Young talent.......Well......That was me and Diamond when he got hurt. His vet expenses were my moms and noone offered to assist. I'm not saying that those that can shouldn't give, just offering a prespective on it. Diamond and I were twice named to the developing riders squad, one year I was injured and could not participate, the next, he was. When he was injured, we were at the top of the sport for a young pair. In our last event together, he finished 2nd at Poplar Place Advanced and we only lost to Becky Holder and her amazing Comet. He was inured about a month later. Is the difference that Cooper was injured in competition? I dont know......

I wish them all the best.....I absolutly know how devistating it is to have your career come to an abrupt halt, and so very badly hoping that your best friend will come home with you, if only to be a pasture puff. I spent many days making the hour drive to the clinic every day for several weeks, just to sit with D and give him kisses. I know how Jennie is feeling, and I know that it sucks.

I hope for Jennies sake that Cooper is able to return home soon, even if it is not in the cards for him to return to competition. She will need him around to rebound from something like this. I don't know how I would have dealt if Diamond wasn't able to come home with me at the end of the day.

All the best,

Johanna

J3D1
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:36 PM
from Jennie's facebook status: "eventingnation at seven pm tonight! Exciting news on Cooper!" Check it out!-J

clm08
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:26 PM
Very happy to hear Cooper is going home tomorrow! Hope he makes a full recovery and gets back to being his old self.