PDA

View Full Version : Electric fence corner insulators...

greysandbays
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
Looking for an innovative and easy way to fasten donut-style electric fence insulators to the posts.

When I was a kid, my dad put a strand of heavy electric fence wire through the donut hole, twisted it a couple of times, then wrapped the wire tails around the corner post and twisted them tight.

However, that takes a lot of strength in the hands that I don't have. Plus, if the wire is at all brittle (and some of it is) it breaks at some point.

I've tried plastic hay string, but that isn't durable and I can't figure out how to not have the insulator shift out of proper alignment with the wire/electric rope it corners for.

Is there any kind of wire that is both easy to twist and strong enough to hold up to fencing applications -- and isn't overly expensive?

hosspuller
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:34 AM
Here's how I make corners for t-posts... Use 10 inches of high tensile wire, make a loop with a crimp connector. Then put the loop on the post, place the loop's wire in the doughnut's outer groove. Using a 1/2 inch diameter metal rod (Or a large screwdriver) through the doughnut, twist with both hands, while pulling. The wire will tighten on the insulator doughnut and the post. If you start with your hands close to the doughnut, it's easier to keep everything in place. Then as the wire tightens, move your hands toward the rod ends for more leverage. Let the assembly relax to see if the doughnut's hole is horizontal for the fence wire to run through. A lot of strength is not required, but a firmly set post helps alot.

I premade a bunch of insulators with loops using a pipe in the garage. Just slid the loops off and finished twisting them on the post in the field. Be sure your pipe leaves a large enough loop to go over the t-post.

hosspuller
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:37 AM
PS: use only the ceramic doughnuts. The plastic version can't take the pressure of high tensile and won't last in the weather. These corners will last for 20 years or as long as the wire holds.