PDA

View Full Version : Area II T3D & Waredaca HTs roll call!

mythical84
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:55 PM
So who's in?? :-D

canterlope
Oct. 19, 2009, 02:04 AM
{Whispering so the Eventing Gods can't hear and wreck havoc on our plans} Twain and I are entered in the T3D.

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'll be there doing to the N/T division. Haven't been to Waredaca since 2006 when I did the T3D.

yellowbritches
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
I should be there in training with Vernon. Hopefully nothing weird will happen between now and Saturday...

Tazzie
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'll be there as a volunteer. This is my 3rd year and this year I'm hoping to attend some of the talks.

Looks like we have a good # of people entered.

mythical84
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:17 AM
Don't forget that GRC Photography will be there with a photo booth where you can take your holiday photos with your horses and/or pets! Really a great opportunity to get quality portraits taken while your horses is all done up for the show!

We'll also be having a HUGE used tack sale, which isn't to be missed.

Other vendors include: Bit of Britain, Black Country Saddles, Country Concessions, Giffords, GRC Photography, Gunner Woodworks, L'Apogee Saddles, Maryland Tack, Palmer Photography, PH Drayer/Blue Ridge Trailers, Rice Saddlery, Southern States, Susie's Pottery, Tempi Design Studio, and You Just Never Know Art.

Even if you're not competing, come over for some pre-holiday shopping!

Catalina
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Connor and Mark are entered in the NM, but Connor was NQR the other day, so I'm not sure if he is going or not. I just hope the weather is nice :).

toeknee
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
Don't forget that GRC Photography will be there with a photo booth where you can take your holiday photos with your horses and/or pets! Really a great opportunity to get quality portraits taken while your horses is all done up for the show!

what a cool idea!

i won't be there for the rec. but will be there for the starter trial in a couple weekends...here's to a pretty, unrainy t3d!:) i did the t3d in '06 and it was by far one of my greatest accomplishments with my horse!! have fun:D

wildlifer
Oct. 19, 2009, 02:04 PM
I am volunteering, MUCH cheaper! ;-)

Lisamarie8
Oct. 19, 2009, 05:32 PM
Mythical,

Can you tell me more about the used tack sale? I have a saddle that I'm trying to get rid of.

Thanks!

Hilary
Oct. 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
I just wanted to say good luck to everyone and have a blast! I did the T3D at GMHA in August and it was one of the most fun things (and rewarding) that I've ever done with my horse!

Please report afterwards for us. :)

OneMoreForTheRoad
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:24 PM
I'm going, and doing novice with my OTTB :)

PnkPanthr
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:27 PM
Novice Championships with the Jester-man:yes:

mythical84
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:09 PM
Mythical,

Can you tell me more about the used tack sale? I have a saddle that I'm trying to get rid of.

Thanks!

Check out this link: http://www.waredaca.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=174:anyone-can-sell-their-used-tack-at-waredaca&catid=38:general

I know that Skip said he would still accept things on Friday, but would just charge a slightly higher commission.

eloquence09
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:05 AM
I'll be there going Novice with my 5yr old :)

We might just have to get a holiday photo while we're at it, what a cute idea!

elizabeth Callahan
Oct. 20, 2009, 06:52 AM
Training with my 5 yr old Would have loved to do the 3D but jumped out of the dressage ring and didn't get my qualifying score at Marlborough. Hoping to stay in the ring this time out

Tasker
Oct. 20, 2009, 06:57 AM
I'll be there with mom's mare doing Novice! (so excited to go event again!) :D

Ishi
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:15 AM
I'll be there, with my fat mare, at Novice Ch. I'm glad GRC will be there, I still need to order pictures and keep forgetting.

mythical84
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
Just to clarify ... GRC will be shooting the T3D and have the photo booth for the weekend. Palmer Photo will be doing the regular horse trials over the weekend.

Tazzie
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:36 AM
I didn't take off enough days for the T3D, I don't know what I was thinking. :cry:

I took of Thursday and Friday but not Wednesday.

If anybody goes to the Wednesday talks and takes notes, would you share with me? I'll be there all day Thursday for the talks, but I'm going to miss Wednesday. Thanks in advance!

wildlifer
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
There are talks on Wed? Does anyone have a schedule? I can't get one for the life of me.

Tazzie
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
http://www.waredaca.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=201:three-day-schedule&catid=28:training3day&Itemid=77

asterix
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:16 AM
By the way, the tack sale should be HUGE! Skip says there will be perhaps as many as 20 saddles (and yes, they will have a mechanism for allowing some kind of try-out, assuming sellers are ok with it). There will also be a TON of non-horse kitchen and garden stuff at WAY below retail prices, so holiday shopping is a definite possibility.

Courses are beginning to shape up, temp stalls for the 3d are up, R&T are being flagged, it's all very cool!!!

I will be doing the N champs with the husband horse [insert standard disclaimer regarding abscesses, acts of the Eventing Gods, etc here]

yellowbritches
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
Toying with the thought of leaving Vernon at home. He's had a rough couple of weeks and as of today I feel wholely under-prepared. I haven't ridden him in a few days because of the rain, so I'll wait to see how he is and what kind of feeling I get. He's fit enough, etc, just haven't done any real work of any kind since pre-Morven. Mostly hacking and long and low.

Ishi
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
Just to clarify ... GRC will be shooting the T3D and have the photo booth for the weekend. Palmer Photo will be doing the regular horse trials over the weekend.

That's a bummer for the HT, it took over a month to get the pics online from Palmer from Millbrook HT and they were, interesting. Maybe they will be better at Waredaca, at least hopefully, because it was pretty bad for Millbrook.

Still excited, this should be my last HT of the season, then it's off for some R and R and shoulder surgery, hopefully my darn shoulder stays put for the HT, don't want to gross anyone out!

mythical84
Oct. 21, 2009, 12:23 PM
FYI a few more volunteers are needed for both days. Contact Katherine (korizzo@smcm.edu) or Liz (lizskips@msn.com) if you're available. Remember you can earn "Waredaca Bucks" for schooling, lessons, entries, etc.

We still need on Saturday:
parking
1 dressage scribe
3 sj afternoon ring crew
xc finish
xc warm up
2 xc jump judges

For Sun, still need:
parking
2 dres ring stewards
1 dressage scribe
xc finish
xc score collector
4 xc jump judges

Fergs
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:46 PM
So, for those in the know: any idea on how the regular Training course will compare to the T3D? I'm a little worried that the HT course will be enormo (don't ask me why I didn't think about this when entering!).

bambam
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:40 PM
in the past the regular training course has been on the tougher side of solid but appropriate training courses. Usually there are a few jumps that are taken off the T3DE course (and the Area II championship course which in the past has been run this weekend- do not know if it is this year) or modified for the regular training but not a lot. It is not a crazy hard training course but neither is it soft or one that I would use for a move-up. JMO

asterix
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:43 PM
Agree with bambam. We are not running the Area II T champs this year (that's novice, instead) but typically the courses will be very similar with a few things either optioned for the regular course, or taken off -- one year I think the 3ders had a full coffin, regular half, that sort of thing. It is NOT a soft course, although it is usually forward and flowing.

I just got back from schooling at Loch Moy (the husband horse ROCKED the training stuff, good for him!!!) and if we don't get too much rain the footing should be really lovely this weekend.

mythical84
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:52 PM
Here's a sneak peak at the weekend: http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs056/1102092631929/archive/1102776466226.html

colliemom
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'm volunteering at the Training 3-Day -- will be there Thursday late afternoon/evening, with smallish blue merle collie in tow (true to my COTH name!)

LexInVA
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:32 PM
Coolbeans.

Fergs
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:29 PM
Asterisk, bambam: thank you! Is it on par with the August course, or a bit bigger? I had a great ride there, but when I walked it I thought it was a little on the big side for August.

Can't wait for this weekend! Here's to hoping the footing holds....

asterix
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:26 PM
Can't say! I've not been out on the course since they really started setting it up -- my one horse is competing, so no go there, and the other has not been feeling good this week and hasn't been out and about...

Generally, I would expect the training and novice courses to be fairly beefy -- since both are sharing a track with a "championship" level course. I moved up to Prelim at this HT 2 years ago and that track was NOT maxed out at all, so can't say there...

asterix
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:48 PM
zounds! Training course is beefy!! I looked at it from afar and can't tell exactly what is just for the 3day (which is DEFINITELY the beefiest 3d course we've ever had), but this is not a soft course. Bring your spurs!!!

Fergs
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:56 PM
zounds! Training course is beefy!! I looked at it from afar and can't tell exactly what is just for the 3day (which is DEFINITELY the beefiest 3d course we've ever had), but this is not a soft course. Bring your spurs!!!

Egads!

Hunter Princess
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:16 PM
Anyone looking for a last minute BN entry?? A friend at work was set to go in the BN division, but horse pulled a muscle and won't be able to go. She'll pay the $50 change fee, but would rather not loose out on $180.

LexInVA
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:27 PM
Egads!

Zoinks!

Fergs
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:53 AM
If anyone walks the training course today, please give us a report. Right now I'm getting a little weak in the knees just looking at the weather forecast!

yellowbritches
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:55 AM
If anyone walks the training course today, please give us a report. Right now I'm getting a little weak in the knees just looking at the weather forecast!
I'm going to go walk it in a couple of hours, so I'll let you know what it looks like.

SparklePlenty
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have to agree - though i ride on Sunday the weather looks :no: And i dont do rain and mud. :lol:

Fingers crossed the weather"people" messed this up.

Ishi
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
Silly me, I should have been doing the Don't Loose A Shoe Dance this week but hadn't. I was just trotting up a hill this AM and Carmen jerked a front shoe off, twisted it and looks like she stepped on the clip :( Farrier is on his way, I really hope it's all OK, and at least she goes Sunday, but something tells me with all the crap happening with my shoulder, and now this, someone is trying to tell me to stay home Sunday.

FrittSkritt
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:30 PM
I have to agree - though i ride on Sunday the weather looks :no: And i dont do rain and mud. :lol:

Fingers crossed the weather"people" messed this up.

Have faith, I think Sunday will be dry:
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMD9898

(Hell, it better be dry, I don't have much rain gear!)

nowoncourse
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
Just finished the T3Day ABCD this morning. What a rush! I agree with the other posts that the T3Day xc course was way bigger than years past. But flowed great and was a blast.

For the regular T this weekend, you guys jump an open ditch instead of the new trekhaner (sp?), a half coffin instead of a full coffin, drop jump into first water, corner, bank out of second water to a house, plus the normal stuff (skinnies, brushes, etc).

Should be a blast. The footing is fabulous and even with the expected rain, it should hold up nicely. Have fun!

Moody Mare
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:23 PM
Has anyone seen any results? EventEntries showed they were going to have them, but nothing so far, and nothing on Waredaca's site.

yellowbritches
Oct. 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
Just got back from walking (and was very wistful watching the last few steeplechase goes). The course is "beefy" but galloping and inviting. Wish I got to do the T3DE course, as they had a few things that I really liked the look of. Everything is very reasonable for a training level course, but all the fences are good and training level size. No "training level questions at novice height" kinda stuff. But, again, very inviting and user friendly. :yes: Definitely a kicking course. Looks fun!

FWIW, the www.weather.com forecast isn't QUITE as dismal for tomorrow as my Weatherbug app on my phone or whatshisname from NBC, who is always really wrong.

Fergs
Oct. 23, 2009, 03:12 PM
Just finished the T3Day ABCD this morning. What a rush! I agree with the other posts that the T3Day xc course was way bigger than years past. But flowed great and was a blast.

For the regular T this weekend, you guys jump an open ditch instead of the new trekhaner (sp?), a half coffin instead of a full coffin, drop jump into first water, corner, bank out of second water to a house, plus the normal stuff (skinnies, brushes, etc).

Should be a blast. The footing is fabulous and even with the expected rain, it should hold up nicely. Have fun!

Congratulations!!! And thank you for the description. I'm feeling better, especially since it sounds inviting and gallopy...my faves. (I am also intrigued to see the new trakhener....sounds a little scary.)

JFS
Oct. 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
I hope things will be OK, we're making the treck from OH. I remember going to Waredaca years ago and we had gotten there on Sat for a Sun competition and we went out to walk the course early Sun morning to check out the footing after the Sat rain and when we got back to the barn we couldn't figure out why there were no trailers as the footing didn't look too bad. They canceled the event because the parking lot was not good and they had another event coming up in a month. I sure hope that doesn't happen this time.

So if anyone hears any rumblings to that effect please post, we will be leaving around 11:00AM on Sat.

Jackie

LisaB
Oct. 23, 2009, 07:09 PM
Whoooo! Carrie in the lead!
www.useventing.com

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 23, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm a little confused about the timetable listed on the site. It says the course walk for T/N stadium will be from 12:22-12:34, but I ride stadium at 12:28. Could someone in the know clarify this? I'm going up tomorrow afternoon and stabling, so I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I thought I'd ask here first.

asterix
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:49 PM
LisaB, that horse was SPECTACULAR. I was seriously contemplating stealing him from stabling tonight. I jump judged today and this was by far my favorite horse -- the pair had an absolutely LOVELY rhythm on cross country -- just text book all the parts I saw (and I could see 3-13, so...).

In general I would say the overall quality of the rides I saw today was quite strong. I'd venture to say this may be the strongest group I've seen at the T3d.

There were a few stops, runouts, no falls, very few serious issues. Course was a genuine top-level Training course.

Very nice to see for our sport!!!

Good luck everyone tomorrow. For the person who asked about cancellation, this has only happened once or twice in the years I've boarded there. They don't do it lightly. The footing is in good shape tonight and we are not expected to get "serious" rain, just unpleasant rain (speaking as someone working outside all day tomorrow, please remember to thank all of us dripping souls!). I would be very, very surprised if there was any thought of canceling.

AM
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:51 PM
No the scores aren't on the web yet. There were twenty one fences on the course and riders had errors at seven of them. Only fence 18 the "wedgie" before the revetted (old) water had multiple rider problems and that was only 3 riders. One or two riders had problems at two fences but for most it was just one. Everyone in division C jumped clear. There were only a few rounds without time penalties. Two or three people had minimal time penalties on steeplechase but no one had any fence faults there and I believe a couple of people had time penalties on phase C. There were no falls due to fences all day. I did see one loose horse but the rider remounted and set off back in the direction of phase A. That's as much as I can remember.

JFS
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the update Asterix and thank you for volunteering. We couldn't do this without people like you.

Jackie

ZEBE
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
My husband and I were jump judges at 14 (keyhole) and 17 (log jump in pond) and took pictures of 3/4th of the riders. zikes-- about 300!! (We had to take a short break and help someone in the D box ). The fall colors were a beautiful background for all those smiling faces and happy horses jumping around the course. I also have a bunch of candid shots from D box, I hope to have a computer slide show of the them in the trade fair area if possible.

We'll see you all in the am. since we're helping in stadium... .. no chance of staying dry I guess...

Barbara C-K

nowoncourse
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:09 PM
The "new" trakhaner is really just the Prelim one made a tad smaller. Seriously, just a tiny bit smaller. Way bigger than the other T one around the corner.

The wedge caused a few run outs. It was flagged very tight and off a slight turn after a longish gallop. If you didn't slow down while crossing the dam you could very easily run right past it. I believe it is on the regular T course for Sat. I totally hit the red flag with my foot and sent it flying :-) I'd like to point out that it was the side of my foot and not my toe as evident by the white scrap across the outside of my boot.

asterix
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the update Asterix and thank you for volunteering. We couldn't do this without people like you.

Jackie

Well, as you probably know, "people like you" is hopefully "people like all of us" -- I am running on Sun, volunteering on Sat. There are lots of local folks doing something similar.

I always like to volunteer not just to keep the sport going, but because I have spent and plan to spend many weekend days enjoying my OWN competitive outings...which can't happen without volunteers. It's payback!

At our events we rely on a number of folks who do not compete but still come out and volunteer -- and many who are current competitors. I can't shake the feeling, though, that the majority of people running this weekend have never volunteered.

I wish we could find some way to change this!!!

LisaB
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:51 AM
Not bad for a $2 horse that went advanced, eh? Carrie's leasing him while she brings up a youngster, just so she can get as much experience and exposure as she can.

JFS
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:01 AM
I DO meal to thank all the volunteers. We (my boys who compete & I sometimes competitor & organizer) appreciate all the help we get from loyal volunteers and I agree that there are probably many competitors who probably have never volunteered.

Jackie

SparklePlenty
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
so they are not doing real time scoring?? :( awww shucks...

LisaB
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:15 AM
eventingnation.com is posting stuff as they get info. check it out.

SparklePlenty
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
that really must be one HECK of a training course - look at the results!!

BTW - if you go to event entires.. just hit "refresh" and it brings them right up.

:):)

elizabeth Callahan
Oct. 24, 2009, 03:04 PM
I thought the tr course was great - but really hard to make time - not sure why. I thought I was really moving but still ended up 12 sec slow ( no watch)
I heard problems at fence 4 ( turning question), the corner ( which wasn't a big fence, but had stuff on the top to make it narrow)

It was gallopy, and rode great for me - not sure where the other probs were
SJ had a number of rails at different fences - don't think anyone caused more probs than another

cinnabar
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:10 PM
What was the nature of all the technical eliminations?

Fergs
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
I thought the tr course was great - but really hard to make time - not sure why. I thought I was really moving but still ended up 12 sec slow ( no watch)
I heard problems at fence 4 ( turning question), the corner ( which wasn't a big fence, but had stuff on the top to make it narrow)

It was gallopy, and rode great for me - not sure where the other probs were
SJ had a number of rails at different fences - don't think anyone caused more probs than another

I was one of the ones with a run-out at Fence 4B. It was 100% pilot error, and I'm kicking myself because the exact same question was on the course in August, and it rode great. The rest of the course was a blast....although I'd love to put a stick up to Fence 3. That table was HUGE!!

Edited to add: the footing was perfect.

yellowbritches
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:25 PM
I was one of the victims of fence 4, although, really, I was a victim of my own riding. :lol: I rode a little too aggressively to A and Vernon jumped how I rode him- bold, aggressive, and forward. We landed about 300 miles away and motoring. I made a half hearted attempted to try and make the turn, but I knew it wasn't happening. We circled around and jumped B and on we went.

The course was FANTASTIC! Big, bold, galloping. Excellent! I had a lot of fun. And Vernon was FANTASTIC! He was just SUCH a super star. He took me totally by surprise at the first water. I made this big, powerful, show jumping kind of canter so he could get a good look at what we were about to do. I was CERTAIN he was going to come nice and close, but instead he went "I got it, Mom, thanks for the set up!" and took a HUGE flyer into the water. :lol: I was NOT expecting that. I'm so in love with him. :D

Our dressage was laughable and he was very cheeky, but considering how rough our last few weeks were, I wasn't planning on winning the dressage (and went so totally the other extreme- DFL). He was just a little silly and made my life interesting, but really wasn't all that bad. I'm so not worried about the dressage. He tries hard and I know it will come one day.

Show jumping was fantastic. I'm absolutely THRILLED with BOTH of us. I rode well, he jumped great. We had the first rail, but so did just about everybody. It was also fun to go after xc and to get to jump in dress up clothes, which I haven't done in several years. :lol:

The weather gods smiled on me, sorry for those who didn't fare so well. It held off until after I went xc, then just showered on and off. I show jumped in the rain, but nothing horrible. It started it pouring as SOON as we got in the truck to leave. Wow!

LexInVA
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:36 PM
Good to know everyone is feeling fat and sassy.

kiwifruit
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:49 PM
anyone happen to walk the novice championship course? Anything interesting to speak of? My guy is running tomorrow!

AM
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:56 PM
If you are asking about the TEs for Boyd and Phillip, they both missed a mandatory flag. There were only three cross country fences with no errors. Four had the most and another, maybe nine, had several while the others only had one or two problems.

We couldn't upload the Training 3 Day to the Evententries.com because it would have overwritten today's training. Hopefully Gretchen will have time to put the results on the Waredaca website tonight. There was a liverpool on their show jumping course that caused lots of problems for the A division and very few problems for the other divisions.

Firefox
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
The T3D was fantastic as usual!!! great speakers, clinics and the riders and horses this year were great!!! It was fun to see a number of repeat riders with both the same horse and/or different horses!! The rain held off until the 3rd divison, but then it really let loose when we were all packing up!! It was a real flood in the stabling!! Glad to be home and dry!!

Cindy (stable manager T3D)

nowoncourse
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks again Cindy for all your help with the T3Day this week! I had a total blast... even if my mare turned mare-ish in the sj ring today :-/

colliemom
Oct. 25, 2009, 01:14 PM
I was working the "After D" box, and it is always so much fun to see the looks on the horses' faces after the whole ABCD experience. They are SO IMPRESSED WITH THEMSELVES!! Pricked ears, shining eyes (oh, the riders pretty much looked the same ;) )

Most horses recovered very well -- people had done their conditioning work! I was a little surprised to see several people use very little water to cool them and then bundle them up in heavy sheets because of the coolish breeze, and then look surprised when their temp was still 102-103. Once the sheets got stripped off and the water re-applied, they were fine.

It is always great fun to help out at this event! WELL DONE, EVERYONE!

Ishi
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:33 PM
Had a great day, got to chat with a lot of people, and had the most laid back dressage warm up walking and walking with Catalina :D They were running late so we just walked, it seemed like a good idea after warming up to not over do it in the footing.

Footing really took a beating in dressage, and I over heard the judge in Ring 3 ask about moving it. We had a lovely dressage test, for someone riding with only one arm :lol: God love my mare, she just does her job. Jumped stadium clean, although I made the mistake of patting her with my left hand, holding the reins in my right, and bam, out comes my shoulder.

Off to XC which was a blast, again, just a lot of left hand and right leg riding, the mare just did her thing. This time I waited to hop off to tell her what a good girl she was, shoulder wasn't taking any more, so patting was out. That's OK, she knew she was a rock star. Then again, she thinks she's a rock start just walking out of the barn, she is a mare after all! We finished on her dressage score and were 5th in Novice Championships.

Gorgeous weather, great event, I'm sorry I'll miss VAHT and Rubicon, but I'm also happy to be done. My young one rocked at his 4th Prelim at MDHT III and Carmen was terrific today, so happy to end my shortened season on a great note on both horses, and will give me something to look forward to after surgery!

I also got to hang out with PP and her lovely boy (OK I'm biased, I admit it!) and they rocked out at N/T for the first go. Good luck to you guys at VAHT, I know you'll kick Training butt down there!

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:44 PM
Had a great day, got to chat with a lot of people, and had the most laid back dressage warm up walking and walking with Catalina :D They were running late so we just walked, it seemed like a good idea after warming up to not over do it in the footing.

Footing really took a beating in dressage, and I over heard the judge in Ring 3 ask about moving it. We had a lovely dressage test, for someone riding with only one arm :lol: God love my mare, she just does her job. Jumped stadium clean, although I made the mistake of patting her with my left hand, holding the reins in my right, and bam, out comes my shoulder.

Off to XC which was a blast, again, just a lot of left hand and right leg riding, the mare just did her thing. This time I waited to hop off to tell her what a good girl she was, shoulder wasn't taking any more, so patting was out. That's OK, she knew she was a rock star. Then again, she thinks she's a rock start just walking out of the barn, she is a mare after all! We finished on her dressage score and were 5th in Novice Championships.

Gorgeous weather, great event, I'm sorry I'll miss VAHT and Rubicon, but I'm also happy to be done. My young one rocked at his 4th Prelim at MDHT III and Carmen was terrific today, so happy to end my shortened season on a great note on both horses, and will give me something to look forward to after surgery!

I also got to hang out with PP and her lovely boy (OK I'm biased, I admit it!) and they rocked out at N/T for the first go. Good luck to you guys at VAHT, I know you'll kick Training butt down there!

Great report, Ishi--you must be so proud of your little mare--it sounds like she came through for you in spades (and enjoyed herself thoroughly in the process ;))

Now it's time for you to REST THAT SHOULDER, already; Yikes! :eek:

"I made the mistake of patting her with my left hand while holding the reins in my right, and bam, out comes my shoulder"?!? :eek: And then you go on to cruise around x-country with one hand...Only an eventer...:lol: You are one tough broad, and I mean that in a good way...

Congrats on a great finish to your season!

Ishi
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:02 PM
The shoulder is why I dropped her down from Training to Novice, and it coming out, sadly, it's so bad it does it when I'm sleeping. I'm still galloping some, and riding about 3 or 4 here, if I can gallop and work the steeplechase horses, I was pretty sure I could get around Novice without too much trouble.

Once I get a firm surgery date, that's it. I plan on reading, watching WifeSwap and eating Ben and Jerry's all winter :lol:

I'm so lucky to have Dustin who will do all the riding and training here, which gives my 2 the winter basically off (Unless anyone wants to come out and keep them in shape for me!) and the business will run the same as it always has, I just won't be doing any of the sale horses while it heals.

If my surgery date is pushed back, I'll just go out and jump judge, that's a good one handed job, I'm left handed, so I can still write!

SparklePlenty
Oct. 26, 2009, 07:50 AM
I had the best time yesterday!!!

Though i wasn't in the Novice Championsips - my course shared many of the same questions. And it was AWESOME!! Most jumps were max height and width - and there were GREAT questions! I think my favorite had to be fence 5AB- which was the log then into the swell - 3 forward strides and the out over another log with brush on top! it was really really awesome!!

IMO i would have considered it a great way to prepare for the move up to training. My mare never even hesitated on Xcountry - brave and bold!

now my stadium leaves some room for work :lol: but considering this is our first show season together, i'll take it!!

Outside of it taking hours for the scores to be posted - :winkgrin: - It was really a fantastic day!! And thank you to everyone who volunteered and put it together!!

ETA: if anyone at Fence 14AB did the straight line skinnys - can you let me know how those rode. they walked really funny for me, so i opted to go the long way. I didn't think i could make it in the forward 2. :) :) TIA!!

Tasker
Oct. 26, 2009, 08:10 AM
Another happy first timer at Waredaca's Novice!!! Cross country was AWESOME! My mare and I had a blast and are giving a big shout out of thanks to all the people who made our fun day possible!

14AB - the straight option rode as a beautiful 2 stride for us. I did drag Sally out to 9AB to give advice of where to jump that combination and it also rode really nicely as a 3 on the outside.

Mom took lots of photos - so gotta give credit where it's due! :)

Catalina
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
I did the skinny 2 stride on both of my guys and it rode great :).

Catalina
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:38 AM
and had the most laid back dressage warm up walking and walking with Catalina :D

:D Yay for nice laid back warm ups! (And best of luck with your surgery :)).

I had an awesome day yesterday. The weather was perfect and my boys were both jumping machines :D. Mark's dressage was typical Mark- okay, but not brilliant. Connor's dressage was in slow motion because of the footing; his huge feet just kept sinking in the morass and I couldn't get him energized (it didn't help that I couldn't carry a whip and he had decided the previous week that he was anti spur :no:) and my score reflected that. But they both jumped so brilliantly and XC was so much fun that it made up for their so-so dressage :D.

FrittSkritt
Oct. 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
I am TIRED! Fun day, though... my guy gets better each time out. It's too bad we always mess up every time we're in the lead after dressage!

The skeery ditch was filled with water and alligators, so I had a stupid stop there... otherwise the rest of the course was good. Had kind of a barfy ride into 5AB, but he got out OK. Somehow still managed to get time penalties, I can't figure out whether we had speed faults or were too slow. Ended up trotting over the mound since it was like a 45 degree angle off the back, and also trotted through the woods to the second water because the footing was slick there.

asterix
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:44 PM
Catalina, I had the exact same problem in dressage. Poor munchkin's big feet just stuck to the ground. I finally KICKED across the diagonal and the judge was clearly like "there you go, girlfriend" -- I think she'd been muttering "just kick him, for god's sake" the whole time under her breath.

I thought it was a pretty dismal test and it's a shame as he's been working SO well on, you know, regular footing (perhaps more lessons should be done in the muck!)...but he is such an interesting fellow. Some judges hate him (hello, morven) and some judges really like him...so this was payback for morven and we got a decent score that I thought was quite generous.

My cautious, when-in-doubt-my-stride-can-too-be-4-ft-and-I'll-crawl-over pony then proceeded to rock the house on SJ and XC. This was his second totally committed SJ in a row, and he seems to have "gotten it." He then went out and just motored around XC -- as talented as I think my big horse is, I think THIS horse is the one that is the natural out there. When he's on, he just has a big fluid stride and at novice, you never need to take a tug. Ever. He never changed his rhythm for the swale, the turning questions, the skinnies, the log into water, the ditch...that is a very, very cool feeling!!

He was 6th out of 22 in his champ division, and to win he would have had to do his very best dressage, which he certainly didn't. But I forgave him, big time :D

So, on to Rubicon. We are ready for Training, dammit! I just need to NOT change MY ride for the bigger fences, and deal, right?

Catalina
Oct. 26, 2009, 01:40 PM
:lol: That is so funny, asterix, because I had the same exact thing happen in my dressage: I kicked across the diagonal and got an 8 (the rest was a range of 5 to 7s).

We're going Training at Rubicon too; maybe we will see you there :D.

canterlope
Oct. 26, 2009, 01:57 PM
The T3D was too awesome for words.

Our Dressage test was pretty good, but still left room for improvement. Steeplechase was a blast and Twain kicked it into high gear for all four endurance phases to finish the day on his dressage score. Despite having an ugly round in show jumping, we managed to make the time and leave all the rails in the cups to finish in first in Division A.

FrittSkritt
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:10 PM
Canterlope, you're so modest! :winkgrin: Congrats!

Pretty damn impressive considering a couple of years ago you weren't sure if you would be able to ride again... :D

asterix
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
T3d pics are up with GRC (photoreflect). Anyone know who shot the regular HT? I seem to remember it was NOT GRC....

mythical84
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:05 PM
Palmer did the regular HTs.

Lisamarie8
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
Canterlope, you kicked ass. Being able to see you AND Steve AND you get you're big ass blue ribbon this weekend took me to my happy place.

Woods and I were there, and it was a great weekend. I don't know if that judge realized how happy all of her "Poll SLIGHTLY lower than should be," and "Long a Low is a great training tool, but not helpful in competition," comments made me. This was a welcome change from the "Lovely moving Giraffe, I hope he can jump" comments we've received in the past. I'll take that 39 thankyouverymuch. (A year ago at VHT/BN we were ecstatic with our 52 :D)

After the Psych Ward performance which was our stadium at Loch Moy, I was in dire need of a good weekend and we had it. Woody was sane, manageable and fantastic this weekend. We had a stop stadium because I cut the turn to 9ab too short. I told Fairweather I'm pretty certain I was grinning too big and being all comfy in my happy place to remember that I needed to pay attention. But he recovered well and finished the course like a champ.

XC was amazing. Such a great course and the competitionapalooza which has been this fall FINALLY seemed to have clicked this weekend. It's been a lot of work, but it's so worth it. Woody is LOVING his job. That little red freak is something else.

My Friend Jen was there and she took some great pics.

9a, after our stop. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/4044622963_cd58887c34.jpg)

This season we've had difficulties (read: moderate hysterics) at drops, and water. So I was ready to do some convincing going into the 2nd water. As I mentioned elsewhere, in reviewing those pictures it has never been more obvious that I would make a terrible poker player. EVERY emotion I have is on my face. The water sequence is a perfect example.

Photo one: "HOLY CRAP! I can't believe he just did that!" (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2786/4044625519_a55d551741.jpg)

Photo Two: Still recovering from the pleasant surprise (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/4045370758_2a637b68fe.jpg)

Photo Three: Face Cracking has commenced (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/4045371224_b38285b43b.jpg)

After losing Ozzy I seriously doubted that I'd be able to feel that sort of giddy again. I can't thank Fairweather enough for saying "Lisa, I think you may need to have this little red horse." (She did something similar regarding my fiance. quite the match maker she is).

We're also heading to Rubicon. I'm so excited. For his first 1/2 season out at Novice, and coming off the track last march I couldn't be happier. Hell, no disclaimers. I couldn't be happier.

pegasusmom
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:31 PM

Our Dressage test was pretty good, but still left room for improvement. Steeplechase was a blast and Twain kicked it into high gear for all four endurance phases to finish the day on his dressage score. Despite having an ugly round in show jumping, we managed to make the time and leave all the rails in the cups to finish in first in Division A.

As she says. . . not just your ordinary fruit. . . :D Rocknroll girlfriend!

retreadeventer
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:38 PM

WHOO HOO! Good on ya. So glad this happened for you DC this year! :)

Ishi
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:28 PM
Lisamarie, I was number 102 and I think I saw you guys warming up for stadium, I remember the red breast plate. Congrats, you guys look awesome in your pics!

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:40 AM
:D HUGE CONGRATS canterlope!!!!!! :D

Lisamarie: I saw you and Woody as you were leaving stadium and I was heading to warmup- I was going to say "Hi", but you were headed the other way :).

And Jen takes some awesome pictures :D. She got this one of Connor and I over Fence 15: look at his cute hunter knees :D (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL930/1750828/17957437/376797694.jpg)

And into the water: Big jump in (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL930/1750828/17957437/376797726.jpg)

Note the look on my face :lol:. The water was deep and Connor's big ol' feet were spashing water all over me: Ugh, water in my eye (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL930/1750828/17957437/376797778.jpg)

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2009, 08:53 AM
I went Novice last fall and this spring to Rubicon. XC is a blast! It is forward riding and can be a little :eek: for inexperienced horses, but there is nothing super hard or scary. All in all it is a lovely event and venue :D. I am doing my second ever Training there and I just hope I don't have all the stadium jumps down :eek:.

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:07 AM
The water is just a crossing, usually with a jump a few strides after. The ditch can be hairy, depending upon which way it is jumped. The last two times, there was a jump, then several strides to the ditch; when it is reversed, the ditch is after a down hill- which can be slick- and then the coop, which can be hard to get to if you get a huge effort over the ditch.

PnkPanthr
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:17 PM
The little man came up tendon sore after dressage..so we pulled him.
Humph..always at a championship too:no:

yellowbritches
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:43 PM
It was just confirmed for me that a little mare we sold a few years ago, who had a very successful training level career with that kid (including a top placing a couple of years ago in the Waredaca T3DE) WON her division of the T3DE with her "new" kid this weekend!!! :D I heard it announced, but they have changed the mare's name and I couldn't remember if it was her, and I was too far away to confirm that it was indeed "our" mare (she's grey, and hasn't gotten much lighter since the last time I saw her). I'm thrilled!

canterlope
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:37 PM
It was just confirmed for me that a little mare we sold a few years ago, who had a very successful training level career with that kid (including a top placing a couple of years ago in the Waredaca T3DE) WON her division of the T3DE with her "new" kid this weekend!!! :D I heard it announced, but they have changed the mare's name and I couldn't remember if it was her, and I was too far away to confirm that it was indeed "our" mare (she's grey, and hasn't gotten much lighter since the last time I saw her). I'm thrilled!Okay, how weird is this? The winning horses in all three divisions of the T3D were grey.

Catalina
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:41 PM
It was just confirmed for me that a little mare we sold a few years ago, who had a very successful training level career with that kid (including a top placing a couple of years ago in the Waredaca T3DE) WON her division of the T3DE with her "new" kid this weekend!!! :D I heard it announced, but they have changed the mare's name and I couldn't remember if it was her, and I was too far away to confirm that it was indeed "our" mare (she's grey, and hasn't gotten much lighter since the last time I saw her). I'm thrilled!

I just got an email from Starbar's former owner's mom (whom I work with) about her big win :D! Too cool!

JenEM
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:47 PM
Next time I'm running all over creation (I think I ran as much XC as the horses!) taking pictures for friends, I'll have to remember to pause and introduce you two, LisaMarie & Catalina! Maybe I'll remember at Rubicon :)

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 27, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well, my show jumping was absolutely embarrassing, but we made it through our T/N division. I wanted to add down the outside line and make it a 6 stride, and somewhere along the way, I lost count or something and we got there on a half stride. He had the two rails down and recovered. Even though I started riding a little backwards after that, he was great. He powered through and my trainer was thrilled with that fact. It was our first try at a training course in competition. Now that we have that out of the way, maybe Lexington will be better.

Dressage was great in the warmup, then as we trotted down centerline, we both realized the footing was like, 8 inches deep! He did the best he could, but it was really unfair for him. We were in ring 2, I think it was the worst out of all of them. So, we got a 40. His stride just got short and choppy as we went along.

Cross country was great. He jumped right in the water, even though he was getting sucked down around the turn. We ended up 3rd.

Here's our video. Keep in mind, the show jumping is not an accurate representation of how we usually go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJw_-XmShQ

SparklePlenty
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:29 AM
piaffeprincess - i was in that same ring and totally agree... once my mare felt the mud on the long side (suction cups) she sucked back immediately. Our 37 was great considering how much i could feel her cringe!! LOL

Well done and what a great horse!! :) :)

FrittSkritt
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:38 AM
Ring 2 was definitely bad... my guy had trouble keeping his feet under him, but I managed to press him forward and got good marks despite the occasional slip. :D He's not tapped for studs, but I doubt they would have helped anyway, it was that deep!

Anxiously awaiting Palmer to put up the pics... COME ON! (See how spoiled we get with GRC? :D)

Catalina
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey canterlope: Great write up on the USEA website about you :D!

eloquence09
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
I was in ring 2 for dressage as well and the footing was a mess. I was in one of the last Novice divisions so it had just been torn to complete shreds by the time I went. I was BEYOND impressed with my boy for how good he was considering he was slipping/getting stuck in the mud every few strides. He stayed completely focused and relaxed and was just a trooper. We ended up with a 29.5 which shocked the pants off of me! Not bad for a green 5yr old haha! Had I not micromanaged him coming to fence 8 in stadium we would have been 3rd, but I'm not complaining, I had a great day.

I can't wait for the pics to be posted, hurry up Palmer!!

Oct. 29, 2009, 04:59 PM
Ditto
Hurry up Palmer!

canterlope
Oct. 30, 2009, 05:51 AM
Hey canterlope: Great write up on the USEA website about you :D!Emily did a really good job considering the materiel she had to work with. ;)

OneMoreForTheRoad
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:43 AM
Plamer has photos up of pictures they took on the 29th, but no Waredaca :(

Fergs
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
Plamer has photos up of pictures they took on the 29th, but no Waredaca :(

I think those were posted on the 29th and taken at Jumping Branch. (Wasn't that in August?? Probably not a good sign.)

Yes, we're spoiled by GRC, but Palmer's pace is ridiculously slow.

Ishi
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:43 AM
This is why I was sad to hear that GRC was only doing the T3D and Palmer was doing the HT. I've not had good luck with them, even with the old videos.

elizabeth Callahan
Oct. 30, 2009, 06:50 PM
Palmer has Sun up but not Sat

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 31, 2009, 05:21 PM
I hate to complain, but the photos of me from Palmer are either out of focus completely, cutting my head off, or just bad timing. The dressage photos are pretty good, but I'm really unhappy with what I have.

SparklePlenty
Nov. 1, 2009, 08:00 AM
PP = Ditto that.. i'm super disappointed with all of my photos too.. :( :( I missed GRC... what a bummer because it was such a great course and such a nice day!! Ughh.. better luck next year.