PDA

View Full Version : Just wow.

vbunny
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5PKlYnOhw

Sithly
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:35 PM
Wow, indeed. I'd say that's an extreme sport. :eek:

Sad; looks like the horse at 5:52 broke its leg. (Don't look if you're squeamish.)

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:38 PM
Wow, indeed. I'd say that's an extreme sport. :eek:

Sad; looks like the horse at 5:52 broke its leg. (Don't look if you're squeamish.)

saw that...very sad. But wow...what a race...impressive horses and rider (talk about fit...and having a great gallops).

foxhavenfarm
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:53 PM
Looks like a european steeplechase...:winkgrin:

It is grueling indeed. Surprisingly it looked like there was only the one horse that was injured.

vbunny
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
I think it's amazing that the only comments are about the injury. I'm not saying that's not important too but c'mon people! What about the amazing athleticism of these horses or the fact that many questions are being asked that we normally think of as being only related to XC in eventing. Now tell me a horse can't be taught to jump safely at speed. And those jockeys, they are such amazing riders to be able to pilot the horse through all that.

twofatponies
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
That's the most complex steeplechase course I've ever seen. Wow is right. Despite the poor horse with the injured leg, there were so few falls in that race it surprised me. Two or three lost jockeys? I think that's it. Most I've seen (just on video) have a huge number of falls, though most without any evident injury.

You couldn't pay me to ride like that though! Pony steeplechase maybe!

Sithly
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:28 PM
You couldn't pay me to ride like that though! Pony steeplechase maybe!

Lol, same here! :lol: I'd love to take one of those horses out for a spin, but not with a field of thirty horses surrounding me. :eek:

altjaeger
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:41 PM
That is just great! That's my favorite form of racing because of the length and the skill required. Did you see the loose horse cut across in front of the field? I thought I was about to witness a horrific accident.

Was that in the Czech Republic?

CiegoStar
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yep, great race, only one horse had to be euth'ed. :(

Couture TB
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:59 PM
Am I the only one who wants to find out if I can apprentice with one of those stables? Wow.

Ajierene
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:10 PM
OK, someone needs to show my the injured horse. All I saw at about 5:52 was the horse in back hit the water jump....and jumped the jump after that. A horse with a broken leg cannot do that, I don't care who you are.

Something I am missing?

altjaeger
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
I saw a horse separated from the field, stopped, that seemed to be on 3 legs.

Sithly
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:19 PM
OK, someone needs to show my the injured horse. All I saw at about 5:52 was the horse in back hit the water jump....and jumped the jump after that. A horse with a broken leg cannot do that, I don't care who you are.

Something I am missing?

The horse hits the jump wrong at 5:52, stumbles, and keeps going for a few strides. At about 5:59, the camera pans to follow the rest of the field and you can see the injured horse clearly as he's pulled up.

mybeau1999
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ajierene - as the horses gallop by after the water jump you will see a horse stand there (only for a few seconds) - he's holding his leg up and you can see it just kind of flopping around...

Bobthehorse
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:49 PM
Am I the only one who wants to find out if I can apprentice with one of those stables? Wow.

Me too! That looks like a blast. Although its much more complex than most steeplechase courses, its such a shame its not really a part of eventing anymore. I wanna play! My horse would much prefer to jump over the water than into it.

Albion
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:25 AM
I'm not saying that's not important too but c'mon people! What about the amazing athleticism of these horses or the fact that many questions are being asked that we normally think of as being only related to XC in eventing. Now tell me a horse can't be taught to jump safely at speed. And those jockeys, they are such amazing riders to be able to pilot the horse through all that.

Who has ever said 'horses can't be taught to jump safely at speed'? :confused: Those horses are NOT being asked to show jump around big solid combination after big solid combination and then hit the gas in between. Seems a world away from what many XC courses have evolved into today ....

Duramax
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:42 AM
That was amazing to watch. I cannot begin to imagine how fit those horses (and jockeys!!) are. Wow! It was pretty cool to see how easily a horse can jump right out of their gallop without a lot of set-up (although the white rails and stone wall were very scary to watch b/c of so little set-up to an extremely non-forgiving fence!). I am pretty sure I would have pooped in my pants in some of those turns! :eek: It was interesting to see that most of the horses that had falls, etc. were those that were at the back of the pack- I wonder what factors were responsible- couldn't judge the fence properly b/c of the horses in front of them? fatigue? Thanks for posting!

What country did that take place in?

JER
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:43 AM
There was a thread about the Velka Pardubicka (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=227948) on the Racing forum last week.

Here's a good report (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/6299556/Josef-Vana-adds-to-his-incredible-haul-of-victories-in-Velka-Pardubicka.html) from the Telegraph about the race.

The winning jockey, Josef Vana, will be 58 years old this month. He has won the race 6 times as a jockey and 7 times as a trainer. He trained 4 of the runners in this year's race. His son was also riding.

The little grey mare who finished 2nd is Sixteen. She won the race in 2007 and 2008. Sixteen might be her name but it's certainly not her height -- she's about 15hh.

(Mares do well in the Velka Pardubicka. It takes a very determined horse to win.)

Koniucha
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:54 AM
This is in the Czech Republic. I speak polish and the language is very similar!

AustinWalsh
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:55 AM
I can't believe the post about how impressive it is than only one horse was injured. That's one too many, especially when it ends up being fatal. While these races are impressive, they are very dangerous. Many, many horses die each year steeplechasing in Europe and Austrailia. I think the sport is inhumane.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:10 AM
I think it's amazing that the only comments are about the injury. .

sorry...I disagree. Both early comments acknowledged the injury but also stated how impressive the race was.

that was a long, complex race with some fabulous horses but it was mostly just plain LONG with a lot of turns (and a few complex jumps)...which makes it impressive on how much effort these horses and jockey's made...and loved how the winning horse crossed the finish line with his ears up looking for more. Still an impressive race but I personally prefer the MD Hunt cup or Grand National....much bigger jumps there and a different sort of race!

FolsomBlues
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:39 AM
Talk about jumping in stride!! Was I the only one that picked out a favorite horse while watching? I was really rooting for the bay that had the jockey in gold and black silks!

I agree with whoever said that "jumping at speed" is not the issue, it's doing such technical questions at speed. These were pretty straight forward. Brush, brush, water, brush, ditch, brush, etc. with lots of wide open space between. Not drop to water to duck to skinny in and out to corner, gallop a little, now flower basket to squirrel, etc.

Tazzie
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
That was fun to watch!

NeverTime
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
I found a blog that said Sixteen also is in foal, and was at the time of the race. I don't know very much about breeding, but I can't imagine a human woman who would want to undergo that kind of effort when she was preggers!!! :lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:27 PM
I found a blog that said Sixteen also is in foal, and was at the time of the race. I don't know very much about breeding, but I can't imagine a human woman who would want to undergo that kind of effort when she was preggers!!! :lol:

Now that is REALLY impressive. Hope she kept the foal! I was cheering her on.

Ajierene
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
The horse hits the jump wrong at 5:52, stumbles, and keeps going for a few strides. At about 5:59, the camera pans to follow the rest of the field and you can see the injured horse clearly as he's pulled up.

I saw the injured horse that time - I was more concentrating on the chestnut at the back of the field, but this is a black horse. I cannot tell the extent of the injury, but he sure is holding up that left fore.

I think overall, the race was amazing and I would love to experience that one day. Takes a lot of skill and bravery on both the horse and jockey's part to just finish a race like that!

Nice that the gray is a mare - I was routing for her. Do you think her mane was braided because she was a mare or just a coincidence?

Twentymetercircle
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
I can't believe the post about how impressive it is than only one horse was injured. That's one too many, especially when it ends up being fatal. While these races are impressive, they are very dangerous. Many, many horses die each year steeplechasing in Europe and Austrailia. I think the sport is inhumane.

Thank you for writing this!

Ajierene
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkz_c_qZ1uo

I though this one was very interesting and entertaining. I was enthralled by the first horse that lost it's jockey and the horse that crossed the finish line third was a bit of a surprise.

mortebella
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know total miles on this?

altjaeger
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
I googled. It's 4.3 miles.

arena run
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:07 PM

Thank you for writing this!

Umm, can you say, "Sarcasm"? LOL At least that's how I took that post. Certainly not at face value. sylvia

SomethingDazzling
Oct. 20, 2009, 04:47 PM
HOLY SCHNIKEES :eek:!!!!!! Brave jocks & ponies - AMAZING!! WAY TO GO! ;)
Poor 'Pony" that didn't make it, but unfortunatly that can happen in ANY sport (animal or human!) - why arn't you concerned for the fallen jockies?!? :confused:No one, espically me, wants to see that but the truth is that it DOES happen. :(