PDA

View Full Version : Whats the biggest spread you've recieved in a dressage test?

alval23
Oct. 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
So at Greenwood a few weeks ago, Maddie and I had a really nice dressage test... I even got a 9 for my halt. (woo hoo go Maddie!! what a good girl) but.. :cool: hehehe .. I also got a 4 on another portion of my test. I thought that was hilarious. So what is your highest and lowest score in the same dressage test?

subk
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:08 PM
2, 7, 2, 7, 2. In that order with maybe some moves in between. At the party that night I thanked the judge for being able to evaluate each movement independently!

retreadeventer
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:11 PM
I had a test with all 6's, 7's and 8's, including a 9 on final halt -- and got a 5 in the collective marks! I thought that was odd! Who did she think was riding him making the six's and above?

Janet
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:11 PM
2 and 8.

And I thought the 2 was generous.

three_dayer
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:15 PM
7-0-7...i had a crazy horse that did not like dressage....awesome mover, but when he didn't want to do it anymore, not happening....go along fine, then blow up for one movement then back to work like nothing ever happened...a bit annoying...but hey he could run and jump!

alval23
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:20 PM
7-0-7...i had a crazy horse that did not like dressage....awesome mover, but when he didn't want to do it anymore, not happening....go along fine, then blow up for one movement then back to work like nothing ever happened...a bit annoying...but hey he could run and jump!

hehe wow.. we might have our winner! :lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:42 PM
In the collective marks....I got a 4 for submission and a 9 for gaits....more than once:eek:. Yeah.....opinionated TB mare but she can really move but a very tough ride especially in a small dressage ring. In her tests...I think were were typically 5-8 in the regular marks but did get a 2 to a 8 on more than one test.

Kcisawesome
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:56 PM
2 and 9

1 and 8 .... (should've been a zero)

Arn't thoroughbreds fun!?

archieflies
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
Well, it wasn't a big spread, but my scores at Greenwood were definietly lower than normal! I didn't have a great test, but I thought a few marks were a little harsh. I got my first 4's... but nope, I've never had a 9... or even an 8 that I can think of! Well, except maybe in an intro test...

KateWooten
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
3-8-3-8 .... with joePony, who is a beautiful pony mover, very light and responsive ... and it turns out has a bad back :( Hence his tendency to rack instead of walk :O I'm mortified that I let it get as far as that before figuring it out... but at least i haven't ruined his trot and canter. Yet.

asterix
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:57 PM
At the AECs, we had two judges. My scores were 10 points apart. :eek:

LAZ
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:30 PM
My old dressage horse used to get a 1 and a 9 in the same test at least once per weekend. He would periodically hit the brakes, refuse to move, rear (sometimes more than once) and then proceed as if nothing every happened.

You needed a sense of humor to show him--he would have the highest mark of the show and the lowest marks of the show all in the same weekend, but he was an amazing horse and I never could have afforded him if he hadn't been quirky.

SevenDogs
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:40 PM
2 and 8. The 2 should have been a zero (there was not one step of walk on the free walk -- I think I got the two points for trying and because it was Beginner Novice).

I thought it was hilarious and showed off my 2 to anyone who would look!

KellyS
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
At the AECs (2004), I got a 21 and a 32.5 (thereabouts) on my dressage test. I was wondering if the judges watched the same test. :D

Currently doing combined driving with my husband (while my baby event pony grows up) and we've remarked many times how much we wish judges would use the entire spectrum of scores...I'd rather see a 3/4 and then an 8, then 5 after 5 after 5...for a test that has very good (and a few bad) moments. :winkgrin:

Bobthehorse
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
4 and 9. Ive never had lower than a 4, and still, I only get them on bob's rein backs, because he finds them sooooo offensive. When we first tried them with him, he actually refused and we thought Id have to take my 0 in the test and move on. So Ill take a 4. I often get 9s on his free walk and extended walk.

archieflies
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Currently doing combined driving with my husband (while my baby event pony grows up) and we've remarked many times how much we wish judges would use the entire spectrum of scores...I'd rather see a 3/4 and then an 8, then 5 after 5 after 5...for a test that has very good (and a few bad) moments. :winkgrin:

Good point- I hate getting a score card with a wide range of positive and negative comments, and 6's for each movement. Then I don't know if they even paid attention.

Duramax
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:23 PM
I had a student get a 9 and a 4 the other weekend at a combined test. The 9 was for a canter depart- the 4 was b/c the horse broke in the canter on the circle! Doh! :lol:

ThirdCharm
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:45 AM
at 2nd level, I got a 2 (spook at black plastic blowing at the corner of the ring and bolt), followed by a 9 (canter down centerline and halt).

Jennifer

Salty
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:15 PM
A 2 & a 9. And I also once got the highest score and the lowest score of an entire dressage show, on the same horse. A Thoroughbred mare!

GotSpots
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:34 PM
7, 8, 8, 9, 7, 4, 2, 1, elim.

At training level event. Gorgeous mover, idiot horse - showcasing both his lovely floating trot and his highly twisting airs above the ground.

rabicon
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:35 PM
A 9 on entry and halt and a 1 on right lead canter because my dumdum self zoned out and didn't realize we were on the wrong lead until after the test:lol:

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:36 PM
9 and 0. Only 2 movements apart! lol. There was a 1 in between... Apparently it's frowned upon to go bucking and squeeling at a mad dash down the long wall when you're meant to be doing shoulder in.... hmmmm...

alval23
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
9 and 0. Only 2 movements apart! lol. There was a 1 in between... Apparently it's frowned upon to go bucking and squeeling at a mad dash down the long wall when you're meant to be doing shoulder in.... hmmmm...

details details.. psh. i swore i read on the "test to proceed down your long side at a full gallop with exactly 3 bucks and 2 farts between K and H"

hehe i think these are all funny.. you must have a sense of humor when reading/ doing your dressage test.

Ritazza
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
At this year's AECs I got a 4, 5, 8 on three successive movements... last year's AECs I got a 2, then the next movement was an 8! We do that on occasion... something very dramatic followed by something AWESOME! I have also gotten a 3 and a 9 in the same test... love it. You think your TBs are testy, wait til you see the stubborn brains in some of these warmblood mares....

Gry2Yng
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
Gee, now I am going to have to look. My bet is a 2/8 in the same test. But it depends on what you call Not Performed. When Edgar was green and they still had an initial halt, we would just skip it. (Sometimes I would drop my arm and nod my head.) Better to take the zero or the error and have a decent test then to stop, rear, spin and act like his tail was on fire for the rest of the test. Hmmm, maybe you all have me to thank for the elimination of that movement.

ETA: 3/9

rideforthelaurels16
Oct. 20, 2009, 01:01 AM
A 3 on an otherwise good test with a couple of 8s. It was my first event, the 3 was for the halt that never happened ;)

purplnurpl
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:31 AM
So at Greenwood a few weeks ago, Maddie and I had a really nice dressage test... I even got a 9 for my halt. (woo hoo go Maddie!! what a good girl) but.. :cool: hehehe .. I also got a 4 on another portion of my test. I thought that was hilarious. So what is your highest and lowest score in the same dressage test?

In the same test?
A Zero
and a nine.

it was brilliant. Though the I argued for a 2 or 3. It was a true dressage test and I didn't halt at the beginning. She gave me a zero. But the halt is only half the mark! The other half is 'enter arena'.

You know you are in trouble when you argue for a 2!!

roki143
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:22 AM
7, 2, 8... the 2 was generous as we went galloping around the entire sand box in what was supposed to be a 10 meter canter circle.

Judges comment? "Circle slightly large and quick"

Zephyr
Oct. 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
Wow, this is making me feel better. Never gotten lower than a 4, but my TB gets PLENTY of 4's for movements that ARE performed :D Mostly we get 4-6, with the occasional 7's, and one 8 in a recognized show.

OverandOnward
Oct. 20, 2009, 09:47 PM
The spread wasn't so great but the reason was. :winkgrin:

7's and 8's, with one 5 for a canter transition in front of the judge

judge's remark: "running"

rider added: FROM THE JUDGE! :lol:

spooky silly horse didn't just transition, he took off to get away from the predator lying in wait for a horse lunch at C, did the corner on two wheels

scubed
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
0 and an 8 on a young ottb who bolted in place of one of the moves, but his stretchy trot was lovely

HollysHobbies
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'd have to say my biggest spread was when my pony, Sunny, decided to spreak and pee at X! Can't remember what the score was there...but I remember the judge laughing. Motifying. I remember perching in my best hunter equitation frame while she did it.

Bless that sweet pony--she always halted square in the front at X and could do a training level test and the 20 meter circle with little to no guidance from above...:lol::lol: May her fields in heaven be lush...and her tummy not gain a pound.

Tamsin
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:48 PM
That's a funny image!:lol: In fact this thread should be required reading for folks who take dressage too seriously:)

shawneeAcres
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:20 PM
Not the same test, but one weekend we got a 1 on our halt, the next weekend, same test, got a 10 (the ONLY 10 I've ever gotten)! Thats what I call improvement LOL, actually he was jsut WAY nervous the first time!

shawneeAcres
Oct. 22, 2009, 07:22 PM
I'd have to say my biggest spread was when my pony, Sunny, decided to spreak and pee at X! Can't remember what the score was there...but I remember the judge laughing. Motifying. I remember perching in my best hunter equitation frame while she did it.

Bless that sweet pony--she always halted square in the front at X and could do a training level test and the 20 meter circle with little to no guidance from above...:lol::lol: May her fields in heaven be lush...and her tummy not gain a pound.

OMG! I thought I was the only one that had to deal with that embarrasment! JUdge and ALL spectators were roaring! I was :o The judge had the NERVE to give me a "2" for a "prolonged halt"!!! I mean WHAT was I supposed to DO??!!:lol: Hey, at least it was immobile!:winkgrin:

alval23
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:19 AM
That's a funny image!:lol: In fact this thread should be required reading for folks who take dressage too seriously:)

i agree ... i mean dressage is all well and good. its needed and i love it .. but you have to learn how to laugh at yourself and your score. for those people who go stomping off mad after a test... just relax... the reason you pay bookoos of money is to have fun . hehehe

EventingDiva
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:24 AM
These are too funny.

On my OTTB's first BN test we got a 9 at our trot transition at K and turn up the center line, 0 on our halt because, well, there was no halt! At the bottom of the test "desire to move forward" was circled with a comment saying "well we know he wants to move!".

I always save my OTTB's first tests because they are usually hilarious. At least we have managed to halt in our tests by now!

yventer
Oct. 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
The highest spread I've had was "9" to "1" in the same test, on different movements.

The highest spread I've had between multiple judges on the same movement was at a CCI*, where the judge at C gave us a 10, the judge at M a 7, and the judge at H a 4. The scoring continued in that manner, with an eventual spread of 15 points from judge C to judge M, and another 18 points from M to H, for a total judging spread of 33 points!

I understand that where the judge is placed plays a huge factor in what they can see, and therefor judge, but still! I know that the low-scoring judge was "talked to" after the competition, and I haven't really seen that kind of discrepancy again.

The judge that gave me the "4" also wanted to eliminate a junior rider for not taking the reins in one hand for her salute. *Someone* was having a very bad day! That's scored as an error of test, at worst!

So, I guess the lesson is, somtimes it sucks to be you, and sometimes it's worth generating an inquiry!

JWB
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:34 AM
a 9, some 8s and 2s on a TB who had done jumpers and was a BEAUTIFUL mover but had never done dressage. I figured if we practiced in our ring marked out with buckets at home we'd do fine.

Got to the show, he floated down the centerline, hit a beautiful, square halt that earned a nine.... I salute, the judge stands up and salutes, horse notices the judge for the first time and it was all over from there....

Work at C-end of the arena involved jigging, spooking, snorting and we never actually got all the way to C, earning us 2-4s. Work in the A-end of the arena was still a bit "lookly" but earned 6s and 7s.