PDA

View Full Version : outdoor arena light height?

Kairoshorses
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:22 AM
I have an outdoor arena, and we're putting up lights. My electrician says we need at least 35 foot poles, and he suggested 40-45 foot poles. The ranch down the road has an arena they use for roping, etc. and their poles are 30 foot.

I do dressage and stadium jumping in my arena (which is about 200 X 90). Do any of you have an idea about how tall the poles should be? We'll have four, I think.

TIA!

Bluey
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Around here, arenas are roping arenas and it is standard to have 30' high lights, but several of them, so their patterns overlap.
I would say what you need probably will depend on the size of your arena.
Outside roping arenas are ideally 150' by 300', but they come in many smaller sizes also.

Marla 100
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:15 PM
You need to determine the type of lights you plan to install, the arena size, etc. and then call your power company. They usually have someone on their staff who can help you calculate what you need. If it's not done right you may end up with "dead spots"- no light and/or bad shadowing. For dressage I would think you'd want to do it right. Some of the better lights can be quite pricey but in the end they're worth it.