PDA

View Full Version : SMB Elites for xc ?

mandalea
Oct. 18, 2009, 05:52 AM
I only do Newcomers (max 2') and I've been using neoprene brushing boots, because he gets a bit silly between jumps, but doesn't touch them when we get to them.

But, they're starting to fall apart :( The neoprene is starting to tear, and the loops are starting to unstitch.

I;m thinking of getting the SMB Elites, because I can use them for everyday stuff as well, and I feel they have a little more fetlock support ? He is getting a tad old, and I really need to get him checked for arthritis.

I wont be going any higher than Intro (max 2'6) so having them super protective etc doesn't really bother me.

But, are they worth it ?

jn4jenny
Oct. 18, 2009, 05:58 AM
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=224507

CBudFrggy
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
I have a pair and only use them when I'm trail riding in rocky territory, or where I've never ridden so I don't know the terrain. They do heat up quite a bit, which is bad for tendons and ligaments. There are better products to use for the same or less money. Leather brushing boots would probably serve your purpose better.

These would probably work just fine for your daily and show use, and they are much less expensive than the SMB's.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/woof-single-lock-brushing-boots/p/X1-04483A/cn/117/

Rescue_Rider9
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
Seriously, At 2' I dont think you even need boots... I have ran a few times without them and I jump a few times a month without them when my horse decides knocking jumps down is more fun because is doesnt hurt. I would go with woof boots. I dont have them because I have some classic equine boots that I use and I am far to cheap to buy anything else when this is working, but everyone I know events and uses them!
Good Luck!

eventingismylife
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:10 PM
Nunn Finer Brushing boots are nice too.

SouthernComfortMax
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
I like my woof oxy boots!! The SMBs retain water when they get wet...the elites may be different but I know the originals and the smbII get really soggy...

JWB
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:28 PM
If you're going to do water, skip the SMBs! They get soggy on cross country. They also heat up pretty badly and don't provide any measurable extra support. Get some Woof Boots or Nunn Finers, or if you're on a budget, Weatherbeeta makes a nice protective boot.

atleventer
Oct. 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
I would steer away from these boots, as they get bogged down with water. I would invest in some of the cheaper Woof, Nunn Finer, or Boogaloo boots, as they will last for a while, are cleaned easily, and offer good protection.