PDA

View Full Version : Any Event Barns in or around Flowery Branch or Gwinnet County area of Georgia?

Junebugz
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:30 AM
I have looked at the obvious big barns that I can find links to on the internet but I am seeking something a little smaller. Possibly someones private farm that may want help feeding, cleaning, riding in exchange for off-setting some of the costs of board. I am headed back to school in January so I am trying to watch my budget. Since I haven't evented in several years I don't even know who is still riding in this area!

LAZ
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
Can't help you on the barns, but I used to go down to Flowery Branch every fall for the Sport Car Club's annual championships. Many good memories of a pretty area! I think I still have the red clay in some of my shoes.... I always thought it would be a great area to ride.

Junebugz
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:32 PM
^^^^^^^

Yes it is a lovely area! I am assuming you were at Road Atlanta? It is also a fun track on a motorcycle :winkgrin:

Thought I'd give up horses for the bikes but I'm finding I liked the horses much better and getting everything together so that I can get another is proving a little more challenging. At this point in life it's not so financially feasible to be a working student :eek:

LAZ
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yep, Road Atlanta, many really good times were had there! I'm sure it is fun on a bike, too, but I bet it is a FAST track on a bike. :eek:

I have a similar tale--grew up with racing, raced myself for a bit, but the passion for horses was always bigger than the passion for racing!

Good luck with your search!

Miriam
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:21 PM
We're on the other end of Hall county (up just past Gainesville), so too far for you probably. There isn't much there from what I can think of, but North GA is a great place for eventing! God made the hillls just for us!

rabicon
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:27 PM
I use to live in Flowery Branch, I've moved but still in Gwinnett. I have a trainer that has a smaller laid back farm. She is an amazing eventing trainer but she is in Watkinsville, you'd go down 316 probably and there are other ways also. PM me if you'd like, if you tell me where your at I can let you know about how far she is from you and her info. She comes to me, but I've quit boarding now. If I hadn't I'd be perfect but it just got to be to much. She is going to be putting in xcountry jumps also. Its not a fancy barn but a nice barn and the horses are WELL cared for. I don't know any eventing barns anywhere around here though other than her. Most are h/j barns or western.

Junebugz
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:15 PM
Really I am not sure how far would be too far. My bf's apartment is literally 5 mins from Chateau Elan. My main concern is finding something safe, neat, and affordable (without some of the loonies that we all know are out there) I always had my horses in my front yard and then I went on to working student positions and working for one of our Olympic riders where my horses were always available at my front door. The boarding thing is all new to me. I don't currently even have a horse but a track project is in the works for next spring so trying to line things out ahead of time :)

Junebugz
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:17 PM
Yep, Road Atlanta, many really good times were had there! I'm sure it is fun on a bike, too, but I bet it is a FAST track on a bike. :eek:

No words for fast! I have hit 170mph on the back straight coming into turn 9 and 10! It takes your breath away!!!! (And possibly your hide if you don't keep it rubber side down!:yes:)

Junebugz
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
We're on the other end of Hall county (up just past Gainesville), so too far for you probably. There isn't much there from what I can think of, but North GA is a great place for eventing! God made the hillls just for us!

How far past Gainesville? It is only two exits up 985 from us. We are very close to Oakwood

Miriam
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:43 PM
Sending you a PM.

twowillows
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:20 PM
Just sent you a PM. My farm is in your area of interest.
Thanks.

RunForIt
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:27 PM
Just sent you a PM. My farm is in your area of interest.
Thanks.

This is where I would have sent you....:cool:

Junebugz
Oct. 20, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks all! Got some good leads now :)