PDA

View Full Version : Best way to keep birds out of barn

dmalbone
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:30 PM
Just wondered if anyone actively keeps birds out of their barns and if so what methods do you use?. They have overrun where the horses are currently kept and I'm thinking ahead to try and keep them out. I LOVE birds so feel a tad guilty, but they have plenty of trees outside!

MistyBlue
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:34 PM
Barn swallows I welcome...those only build nests on top of my lights, eat their body weight in bugs daily, tend to chase other birds out and only poop under their own nests.
Every other bird...I keep them out with a backpack leaf blower. :D Yup, I wear the leafblower, keep it running on idle and sit on a muck bucket in the barn aisle. When they keep flying in to check things out or roost, I aim and hit the blower on high and blow their feathery butts right back out of the barn. Excep for being exceptionally fluffy afterwards and a tumbling flight backwards through the air...they're unharmed. And I'm not only removing birds, I'm amusing the hell out of myself. :lol:
After a few times, they stop trying to come back in. They figure those buildings are just *too* damned windy! :winkgrin:
How are things going with the roof leaks? Is the company working with you on that?

ETA...I just checked your blog for new updates. And I have to say I am *loving* your light choices! I actually like the top one best, glad to hear they're not pricey either. ;)
Hmmmm....that might be a great idea for a light change in my barn next spring. I'll be putting up tack racks (instead of floor saddle racks that take up too much space) and rebuilding my tack and supply storage...redoing my aisle flooring and new black lights like yours would be a crowning touch! Let me know how those work out for you.

murphyluv
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:48 PM
Barn swallows I welcome...those only build nests on top of my lights, eat their body weight in bugs daily, tend to chase other birds out and only poop under their own nests.
Every other bird...I keep them out with a backpack leaf blower. :D Yup, I wear the leafblower, keep it running on idle and sit on a muck bucket in the barn aisle. When they keep flying in to check things out or roost, I aim and hit the blower on high and blow their feathery butts right back out of the barn. Excep for being exceptionally fluffy afterwards and a tumbling flight backwards through the air...they're unharmed. And I'm not only removing birds, I'm amusing the hell out of myself. :lol:
After a few times, they stop trying to come back in. They figure those buildings are just *too* damned windy! :winkgrin:
you.

LOL!!!! that is too funny!!!! We had a problem with pigeons in our old barn- we tried everything- I was told that pretty much the only thing we could do was start shooting them with a bb gun-- just kill a few and they will NOT come back.
THey would land all over the indoor and create a ton of noise- we looked into spikes on the roof but that would have cost somewhere around 40,000...Yikes!

MistyBlue
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:55 PM
Jumping jeebus...that much for roof spikes???? :eek: Holy cow, I never would have guessed it was that expensive!
heck, I'd just build cat walks up to the rafters or up to the roof. ;)
But yeah, if you still have pigeon problems...try a leafblower. I can blast a crow a good 25 feet...even change a turkey's direction. (don't ask) Pigeons would be no problem. :cool:

Roxyllsk
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
we tried quite a few different things - the fake owls, even the sonic noise maker thingys - none of them really worked. We ended up getting 2 female kittens and made a 'ramp' for them to get in the rafters, then started feeding them up there. That worked!