PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite WARM, DURABLE, COMFORTABLE winter paddock boots?

deltawave
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:32 PM
Might go with paddock boots instead of tall winter boots this time around--looking for your opinions on nice, warm, indestructible types that are comfy (I hate tight boots!) and good for barn chores AND riding.

Thanks. :)

Mary in Area 1
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
Last year I bought the Ariat Bromont boots and I love them. My feet were NEVER cold (with my Smartwool socks) and I just cleaned them up in prep for this winter. They look perfect. I wore them everyday, all winter, in Vermont!

When the snow is deep, I put my half-chaps on BEFORE I go out to get my horse. LOL.

enjoytheride
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
I like the mountain horse ice riders. I wear them every day in the winter from mucking stalls to riding. They are synthetic and I think that means they last longer then leather, they are waterproof below the laces. They are narrow enough to ride in but I have never been able to fit a half chap over them, however I'm usually wearing thick winter breeches so I find I don't get pinched.

jn4jenny
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:46 PM
I like the mountain horse ice riders. I wear them every day in the winter from mucking stalls to riding. They are synthetic and I think that means they last longer then leather, they are waterproof below the laces. They are narrow enough to ride in but I have never been able to fit a half chap over them, however I'm usually wearing thick winter breeches so I find I don't get pinched.

I have fit half chaps over them, but only the cheap Dublin ones that are super stretchy in the panel. I only use them in the winter.

I am a boarder so can't speak to the barn work side of the Mountain Horse Ice Rider. I do love it for winter riding, though!

SaddleFitterVA
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:12 PM
Define durable. So far, I'm looking for the ones that will last more than 1.5 seasons.

Blunnies - no
Ariat - heck no
Mud Boot Company - No
Tredstep- no
Some warm barn boot, like Mountain horse came close.
I wore Lace-Rs for a while, I want a pull on.
Ariat wellies...holes in them

All my shoes seem to crack where my foot bends...or blow out the sides at the sole. Muck boots are the next trial...after the Mountain Horse paddock boots die...and I have to use heel lifts in those.

Almost all are sock-suckers....as in they suck the socks off your foot into the toe of the foot.

MistyBlue
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:34 PM
Okay, add me to the list that *abhors* sock-suckers. (very apt description SFVA)
Has anyone tried Landies? I think they make a waterproof version. My husband has a pair that's lasted wonderfully for almost 8 years now, but to be fair they don't get much wear.
I have Ariat paddocks...one black leather pair that are insulated for winter riding and one suede pair with mesh vents in them for summer riding. However...neither pair are ever worn for anything other than riding. I don't walk pastures or clean stalls or anything in them. For that I slide into the Muck Boots. I went with the Ariats because those are slip ons with zippers and if I'm going to be changing out boots from stall to saddle I want easy on/easy off.
I have yet to find a nice waterproof warm paddock that can go from stall to saddle without wearing out in a season or so. So far only Mucks seem to be made urine-resistant and if the boot isn't repelling the urine found in stalls then those boots are going to wear out darned fast.
I do find riding in my Muck Boot Brit Riders really great though. Made a tad more narrow than plain Mucks, but still buy an extra set of irons 1/2" wider than usual because they're not as narrow as regular paddocks or tall boots. Other than the width, they have great grip, wear like iron, warm as hell, as waterproof as they get and after wearing them often for a couple weeks the ankle breaks in nicely and I can drop my heels easily in them. IIRC they're steel shanked for stirrups anyways...and have a heel and spur rest.

hey101
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Mountain Horse for winter.

Dublin or Mountain Horse for all-season.

I will never, ever, ever buy Ariat paddock boots again for any season. I bought their winter paddock boots one year and my toes were never so cold in my life! And their regular ones fall apart in no time flat. I don't know what happened to their quality control, but for the price of them and they fall apart in one season? Done. Done. Done.*

*Unless they are on sale for $30 or less. :)

kookicat
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
I love my MH Rimfrosts. I've had this pair for two and a bit years now, and they're still going strong. Quite chunky looking though, not to everyone's taste. (But they make you a couple of inches taller whoo!)

They're not sock suckers, and are pretty comfy. I've worn them to work, and stood up in them all day, and my feet haven't ached.

wildlifer
Oct. 19, 2009, 04:43 PM
Agreed -- Ariats just fall apart, crack and blow out -- and I wear boots hard. Ironically, the boots I have that have lasted the longest are a $25 pair of Gatsby's. The lining tore, but the boot is intact and I keep them in my truck as my spares, but they are not insulated.

I got a pair of Dublins this spring, they are pretty tough so far. We will see next year what they look like....but I have also always been impressed with the MtnHorse products, they've always lasted for me.

camohn
Oct. 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
I average 2 seasons ( 2 winters from the insulated ones/ 2 "rest of the years" from the non insulated ones) from a pair of Araits and they get worn daily in the barn. I am OK with that.

cb06
Oct. 19, 2009, 05:12 PM
I stumbled on these Mountain Horse protective jodhpur boots in a used tack store (and they were definitely used, but servicable)...that was 3 yrs ago and they are still going strong. Definitely the BEST jodhpur boot I've ever come across...durable, waterproof, warm and very comfy. I have looked at getting a new pair, only to find out they are not sold in the US! (why?!). If someone finds them here in the states please let me know...they are wonderful boots.

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=2096&cat=3&scats=73,42

Trevelyan96
Oct. 19, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wow... its amazing how bad Ariat quality has gotten over the years, because I have a 5 year old pair of Ariat Icebergs that are still going strong. But I also keep a pair of Tingley rubbers over them. I wear them every day all winter and maybe only clean them about twice a season.

catmchorse
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
My mom has a pair of Ariat Iceberg paddocks that she LOVES. Very well-insulated. She's only had them for a year, so I can't really speak for longevity, but for what it's worth they are in perfect condition after a winter of thorough barn-work-and-riding abuse (we have lots of MUD here in the Willamette Valley and our winters are wet wet wet).

Since my mom likes hers so much - and because I am tired of cold toes - I bought a pair of tall Ariat Icebergs on sale. It isn't cold enough here to ride in them yet, for which I should probably be grateful! I can certainly post on COTH what I think of them, though by then it will be too late and your toes will be frozen if you haven't purchased anything...;)

Cloverbarley
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
I wear my Dubarry boots, my lovely, lovely Cavallos, my Ariats which I think are horrid looking boots but are okay to ride in when it is a little colder and I wear my "ugly" boots (Kodiaks good for -40f) when it is really cold but I can't ride in a saddle in these as they as so big and fat and ugly that they don't fit in the stirrups, hence I ride bareback most of the winter.

bird4416
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:43 AM
Anyone ever tried Bogs? I bought a pair this year and I'm hopeful they will hold up.

walkinthewalk
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:03 AM
You may have meant the "Muck Boot Company" when you said "no" to the Mud Boot Company but:

I wear the "Edgewater" model by "The Muck Boot Company".

I paid $60 or $70 for them three winters ago and they are still in like new condition (I don't wear them in warm weather -- they're too hot). That means no tears no deteriorating from shoveling stalls.

They continue to stand the abuse of me bending a foot when I kneel down to pick hooves.

Many boots will eventually crack under that duress but no signs of that yet.

They are lightweight and while not that bulky, are still too bulky to use when riding unless you're jumping on bareback:)

They are lined so I can wear my summer socks in them until January or February.

That being said, I live in southern Middle Tennessee --- we will get below zero but not too often. That's when I put my hunting socks on and my toes have never gotten cold in these boots.

I bought mine at a local feed store, so I guess Googling the Muck Boot Company might be the best way to find them in your area or order them on line.

My shoe size varies from 6-1/2 to 7; these boots are Women's size 8/8.5 & Men's size 7/7.5 which gives me ample room for heavier socks but not much slop when I wear summer socks.

Hope this helps:)