PDA

View Full Version : Is this mare eventing material?

April MD
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:50 AM
I am interesting in getting some opinions on my mare's potential for eventing.
Would you guys consider this mare for an eventing prospect?

Sire: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/traumhaft2

Dam: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/singing+eagle

Here are some pictures of her as a three and four year old.:
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac154/ahallhou/

This mare is registered with the Oldenburg verband.

Much potential there? What do you see?

GleeRider
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:04 PM
It depends what level prospect you're looking for. There isn't much that conformation can honestly tell about a horse. It can certainly help to have a neck sitting up on their chest with an uphill build, but for anyone to actually access a horses potential, they must be able to see the horse move where they can see if the horse has a free moving shoulder and floating uphill gaits. And as far as jumping, a horse that leads with their knees, and doesn't hang their legs low over the jump and most importantly have a big square push with their hind end. Something that makes a good event horse also has to do with its personality, they must be athletic, fit, brave, and very willing. As long as a horse has a decent jump and is obedient they can go novice eventing fine. But to be an upper level horse, say prelim and up, plus actually be competitive at that level, they must really have ALL of those qualities and more.

From the few pictures that you did show, she doesn't stand out as the next top event horse to me, and her neck is not build up on her chest, more in front of her. Giving me the feeling that she doesn't have very uphill movements that are valuable for a good mover and good jumper. But that isnt to say that she couldnt be a novice event horse or that she couldnt have a special talent as i cant really access her movement. She also doesnt seem to have much spark in her eyes that most event horses must have.

That is my opinion based on my experience. Although im not a professional and people may disagree.

aahunterjumper
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:25 PM
To my eyes, she's a nice looking, balanced mare. I think she looks like a nice show hunter prospect. (For the conformation photos, she's stood up very well for hunters). As with any sport, it depends on how she moves, jumps and her attitude towards life. She looks like she stands over a good amount of ground and should have a nice, long stride (needed to "float" down a line without appearing to need to work at it). IF she has that AND a good jump with bascule, holds her knees even and tight and goes that way normally, I think she'll be a nice show hunter.

If she loves cross country all the above can still be true and then it's what you want her to do.

Not sure where you're located, but usually one can arrange to take a horse to a trainer/rider for an evaluation/ lesson. Though even if all the experts and conformation peg the horse for discipline X, the horse has the final opinion.

deltawave
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:42 PM
Pedigree is so meaningless, really, in evaluating an eventing prospect.

Give me good conformation and feet, a good brain, decent athleticism and good jumping ability and a desire to go to the jumps XC. Everything else is miles to the rear in terms of priorities. :)

This mare looks well put together and balanced--if all the rest is "there", presto! You have an eventing prospect. :yes: (and each of us gets to choose the things we define as "must haves" in a prospect)

Hilary
Oct. 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
Whether or not she likes to run and jump will mean a lot more than her pedigree and conformation.

She looks like a nicely balanced, and very pretty mare, so go give it a try!

To look at my old event mare you'd think: "Huh. What did you do to produce this, and what makes you think she can jump a pixie stick." We love her dearly despite the less than pretty head. Her hind end has very odd conformation yet she was an incredible jumper and bold as brass. I wish I had a photograph of her as a young mare because if I posted it and said "hey, what do you think of this horse as an eventer" I'd get laughed off the board.

Long Spot
Oct. 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
What does the mare tell you wants to do?

As everyone else has said, her personality and likes, dislikes and special talents will tell you much more than her breeding.

Nice looking mare.

Hony
Oct. 17, 2009, 03:45 PM
Pedigree is so meaningless, really, in evaluating an eventing prospect.

Give me good conformation and feet, a good brain, decent athleticism and good jumping ability and a desire to go to the jumps XC. Everything else is miles to the rear in terms of priorities. :)

Isn't that the truth and sometimes confo, feet and athleticism aren't enough either. A friend of mine has a stunning TB with an extended trot like a good WB, a fantastically uphill canter and a beautiful jump but he's such a chicken that he struggles with a X let alone a ditch or step down. When he's really nervous he leave one foot on the front side of the jump and one foot on the landing side. It's quite a sight. It's truly unfortunate because if had been blessed with bravery he would have without a doubt been an upper level prospect.

April MD
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thank you all, for your input. I think she is going to make an eventer; she is brave when it counts (jumps aren't scary but everything else is!) and loves to gallop.

Really, I posed the question because I have this feeling that she wants to be a show hunter (funny that aahunterjumper pointed that out) instead of an eventer. i want to event, it is something I have always wanted to do, but she has a hunter way of going. Plus I entered her in her first hunter show (for kicks) and she cleaned up, winning her division with points to spare.

I always told myself that I would take her in the direction she decided she wants to go. But I would really prefer to event rather than show in the hunters. So I wanted to see if there was anything in her pedigree or confo that indicated you must event this horse! :lol:

deltawave
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:54 PM
I always told myself that I would take her in the direction she decided she wants to go.

Honestly, don't anthropomorphize too much. If your mare (or any other horse) really got to decide, she'd probably choose "eating grass" for a career. :)

You are the owner, you choose. Unless she hates her job or is totally unsuitable, do what you want to do with the horse. If you want to event, go out and event! If "cleaning up" is more important, by all means do hunter shows. ;)

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. :yes:

lionstigersbears
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
Honestly, don't anthropomorphize too much. If your mare (or any other horse) really got to decide, she'd probably choose "eating grass" for a career. :)

You are the owner, you choose. Unless she hates her job or is totally unsuitable, do what you want to do with the horse. If you want to event, go out and event! If "cleaning up" is more important, by all means do hunter shows. ;)

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. :yes:

Agree with this and everyone else who said you can't determine eventing potential by pedigree or confirmation. There's no reason why you couldn't do both hunter shows and low level eventing in my mind (unless you are very serious about the hunter shows or what have you)... take your mare out xc schooling and see how she likes it. If your mare hates it and you are desperate to event maybe you could find a trainer with a suitable horse for you to ride. Good luck!