PDA

View Full Version : Best and most economical mats over concrete?

lilypondlane
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:30 PM
My therapeutic riding organization has been fortunate enough to have found a wonderful piece of property where we will run our program. There is an existing metal building on the property that was in the past used by an automotive repair business. It is a clear span with overhead doors at each end. The building is probably 16' tall and is about 48' wide x 70' long. We want to use part for an office/tack room (already walled off), part as a run-in area for a few of our horses, and the rest for our riders (who are led, so walking only) when the weather outside doesn't permit using the outdoor arena. Tractor Supply sells the interlocking mats which I have used in my own barn and I think it would cost us over $5,000 to cover the concrete with these. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Experience with converting such a building to equine use?

GoForAGallop
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:51 PM
One suggestion that I've heard is industrial strength/sized rubber belts, like they would use in gravel pits and big factories....supposedly you can get them pretty reasonable used. But like all of the things of that nature...you have to find a source.

jn4jenny
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yep, the conveyor belts seem very popular. Kind of a PITA to install but once they're in, they're in. If you have a local rock quarry or a big factory, that's a place to check. You could also post on Craigslist--I have seen people offer them there, and they usually go fast.

dmalbone
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:59 PM
If you can't find the conveyor belts, TSC would most likely give a discount for that many. They'll give a % off for a pallet of bedding, so I would think they would do something for the mats as well. They do also have 10% off coupons as well.

lilypondlane
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the input. I have seen the belts used in a barn where I boarded years ago and I don't think they would work for this situation. We need something that will stay completely flat and in place, so we have pretty much decided on TSC's interlocking mats. I was thinking they might give us a discount for buying so many as I have also bought a whole pallet of bedding and received a discount. And thanks for reminding me about the coupon -- think I have one, in fact.

jn4jenny
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the input. I have seen the belts used in a barn where I boarded years ago and I don't think they would work for this situation. We need something that will stay completely flat and in place, so we have pretty much decided on TSC's interlocking mats. I was thinking they might give us a discount for buying so many as I have also bought a whole pallet of bedding and received a discount. And thanks for reminding me about the coupon -- think I have one, in fact.

Honestly if I were making that big of an order at TSC, I would be talking to the manager about MORE than a 10% discount. I'd start at 25% off and bargain from there. Chances are he'll give you more than 10%.

S1969
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:14 PM
Honestly if I were making that big of an order at TSC, I would be talking to the manager about MORE than a 10% discount. I'd start at 25% off and bargain from there. Chances are he'll give you more than 10%.

Agreed. Especially because it's for a therapeutic riding organization rather than your owner personal farm. Can't hurt to try!

lilypondlane
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:01 PM
Yep, they gave us a way better discount than I expected and they will deliver the mats to our barn at no charge. Tractor Supply rocks!