PDA

View Full Version : Event Prospect

Savoy 8
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:06 AM
I know nobody can give me a exact price on a event prospect, I am looking for a adverage. What would you pay for a 17+ h OTTB gelding 12 years old. Retired from the track 2 years ago, and is TOTALLY sound (not one injury from the track). He has a great understanding of flat work, moves off the leg, collects, soft mouth, very very brave. Goes wonderful in a snaffle, LOVELY mover with a huge trot and canter. Has been started over fences, first with free jumping and is now doing small singles, simple lines and gymnastics (big jump!!!!) Owner thought he would make a nice upper level jumper, butnow feels he would be better suited for eventing. Most of my experience is with the hunter/jumpers so I am not sure what is a nice prospect price. Thanks for your help!!

Hilary
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:13 AM
Well he sounds quite nice, but at 12 with no XC experience and minimal jumping experience he won't fetch a huge price. I wouldn't really pay much for a horse like this - no more than 5 due to age and lack of experience. (I'm also cheap) If he was younger OR if he had done some XC you could start thinking about more money but you need to get him out on a XC course and see what he does. Then you can market him as an event prospect.

asterix
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
Agreed, at 12, not exactly a "prospect" -- doesn't mean he won't make a lovely horse for someone but...it is hard to sell a horse of that age as an event horse if it's never seen XC. If he can get out to a schooling course and be introduced to water, ditches, the wide open world, that would be better.

lionstigersbears
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:43 AM
I agree with the above posters... his age would really put me off. I would forget about his 'upper level potential' and instead school him in as many different situations as possible, trails, xc course, start putting together courses if he's ready and market him as a nice junior horse with a solid foundation that a pony clubber or pony club type could train and develop new skills on, with that elusive *potential* and maybe you'd get around $5000-$6000 for him. My friend's very athletic 14 year old been there, done that OTTB who was competing Training level went for $6500 to a young PCer. As he is right now, with no additional training, I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $4000-4500 for him. He does sound nice though!

GleeRider
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
It really depends what you're planning on doing with him. If this is a prospect resale i wouldn't spend more then $2500. But as far as a good horse for you to bring up the levels potentially, i'm sure he would be great! But at the same time being 12 years old and being at the track for that long amount of time, i wouldnt expect them to be asking more then $4000. I would suggest riding him a few times before you buy him and if there is a good connection between the two of you then if you have the money i would go for it. But one thing to remember, you absolutely have to get a vet check on him by a trusted vet that they dont pick out because regardless of if they say he has had no injuries there is no way to say that and is very unlikely at that age on the track.
Good luck! :)

Savoy 8
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
Actually had x-rays and a full vet check done on him about a year ago... Vet was totally amazed, saying she had never seen a OTTB with so little changes. She said he probably never ran fast enough to injure himself. One one race in all those years, with 70-+ starts.

Mach Two
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
It's all such a matter of what we are willing to pay, isn't it? The horse sounds lovely...and if at 12 you can have him doing novice next spring, training in the fall, and maybe prelim the next spring, if that is the kind of rider (and riding goals) you have, and if you plan to resell, likely you'll be looking to sell him by the time he's 14, yes?

This being said, if he were 7 or 8, 5000.00 would be tops for me if I were looking. At 9 or 10, maybe 3000.00. It's a buyers market...offer them 2-2500.00, and see. After all, even if the horse is sound and lovely, he has not been to the warm up party, the dressage ring party, the start box party, and te half halt 6 strides out from 400mpm party yet. There are still some unknown quantities, and they are buying tools for you.
I once paid 700.00 for a 10 year old 'chaser that was done racing, was still sound, had a trot to die for, and a good canter....but under pressure, the horse would melt down. Sent that one down the road after 10 months of giving him every chance I could.