PDA

View Full Version : Body Clipping - Do i need a neck cover?

eventr4life
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:35 PM
I am planning on body clipping my horse. He has a stall at night, and during bad weather. I live in Greensboro, NC where it get below 15 degrees i think.
Do i need a winter neck cover for my horse about 16.1 hands?
And of course i will have him properly blanketed according to weather.

midnightride
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:55 PM
I would think if he is in at night and during rain/snow he would be just fine with a regular blanket. I only use the neck covers on my guys that live out and only put them on in the evening, i have found that even in the middle of winter they would sweat if i kept the neck cover on during the day (unless of course it was snowing....) Plus you live in a pretty warm climate so that is a nice plus!! :)

CarolinaGirl
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
I've never had a neck cover for my horse... wug blankets are about the extent of it (and none of my barn buddies have either). We're in SC.

FLeckenAwesome
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:33 PM
I've also never done a neck cover, though sometimes I feel like pony would have benefited from one. I live in GA, so about the same climate. And I also do a FULL clip!

GleeRider
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
It really just depends on the horse. Like for example, my big boned 16.3 horse shakes in 30 degree weather when he has a heavy weight on and is inside. So it really depends. But i suggest instead of a buying a blanket with a think insulated neck which can be pricey, i suggest getting Polar Fleece Sleazy Hood. It protects them from the wind when they're out during the day, keeps them from getting too chilled and another great addition is they come in nice and clean :D They also have full body Jammies if your guy is SUPER sensitive. So just see how he reacts this winter to the cold weather. Good luck.

Here's the link: http://www.sleezybarbhorsewear.com/polarsleezy.htm

eventr4life
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
GleeRider: THANK YOUUU!!!!

mkevent
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:54 PM
FWIW, I wouldn't do a polarfleece hoodie for turnout. I had one on a horse of mine and somehow it ripped and was pulled over her head-she panicked and ran into a fence. After many stitches and a lot of nursing, she was fine but I learned my lesson! I now only turnout with neck cover, not a full hood.

I am a fan of neck covers-they keep the horse cleaner and warmer and they're really great in the rain to keep the horse dry and comfy. They will keep the horse warmer, and maybe it's my imagination, but they are seem to stop those long guard hairs from growing on the necks of clipped horses.

GleeRider
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:57 PM
You're very welcome!!! And as far as mkevent said, the reason i suggested the polar fleece obviously to keep your horse warm while he's clipped in the freezing cold. So yes, full neck covers are great for your horse if it is raining absolutely, and in the most frigid of weather but you said he is in when it is raining outside, so the polar fleece is great for light snow and drizzle or when he is inside. :] My opinion.

yellowbritches
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:20 PM
Live in MD and do full body clips on the majority of our horses. I've had horses live out 24/7 with full clips and only recently got a rug with a full hood (and it came with a horse who was coming from the Southern Hemisphere in Feb!). I use it occasionally now on the very nastiest days and nights on a horse that lives out and is clipped.

In a perfect world, they'd all have a lightweight TO with a neck rug, but it isn't a perfect world, so they don't.