PDA

View Full Version : Where to advertise?

SuperEventer
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm not a into racing, but I have acquired a OTTB mare that has great racing bloodlines, and I was wondering if there was a good place to advertise her for sale in the race industry? Sorry so clueless!

Delaware TB
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:06 PM
Unless she was a stakes winner or producer, I wouldn't even bother. Most everyone is downsizing their broodmare bands now. It's hard to even give them away. It might be better to market her to WB folks.

halo
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
What you think are great racing bloodlines may not be for race breeders. Especially in this market, if the mare isnt by a stakes winning stallion, out of a stakes winning or stakes producing mare, and preferably with a decent race record herself, she probably won't be marketable to a breeding home.

Laurierace
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
While I tend to agree that an outsiders idea of great bloodlines and the market's idea of good bloodlines aren't likely to be one in the same, anything is possible. Most race horses are not advertised as much as they are placed into public auctions. There are a few online sites like handride.com and salesring.com as well as a relatively new one called tbredsforsale. Why not post the mare's name here and let us guide you in the right direction. Here's hoping you really did find a good one!

LaurieB
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Ditto what everyone else said, but another website to consider is www.starquine.com (http://www.starquine.com)

SuperEventer
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:07 PM
You're all very right that I'm clueless about race breeding. The race trainer is the one that said someone may be interested in her as a broodie.

Her name is Eagle Pass...she's by Indian Charlie.

LaurieB
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:18 PM
You're all very right that I'm clueless about race breeding. The race trainer is the one that said someone may be interested in her as a broodie.

Her name is Eagle Pass...she's by Indian Charlie.

Are you sure of the name? The most likely Eagle Pass that I can find on brisnet (2006 mare) is by Posse. None are by Indian Charlie.

SuperEventer
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry, got confused. I have three OTTB mares, and I got confused.

Her name is Another Attack.

Jessi P
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
Best thing for you to do would be pull her pedigree, see how much black type she has, what QUALITY of black type she has, how close up the black type is, and then see if you are better to market her towards sport or race folks. The names in her pedigree are decent but certainly not great.

SuperEventer
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:06 PM
Honestly, I'm clueless about black type, etc. I only asked about advertising to racehorse people because the trainer I got the mares from said that she and another mare had great race bloodlines.

She's a fantastic mover, so she'll be okay in the sporthorse world! :)

Linny
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
Honestly, in this market, she might be better as a sporthorse. Her sire is a young stallion with little record as a broodmare sire. There is not much to recommend her under the first couple of dams. She ran 26 times with 3 wins and less than $27k in earnings, meaning she was running at a very modest level. Black Type refers to the use of bold face in sales catalogs to denote stakes winners or stakes placed runners. Lake of black type means a general lack of high quality in a pedigree. This mare's female family doesn't have much blac type in the first few generations.
At the recent KY yearling sale (one of the elite sales) horses by established top sired produced from proven stakes runners and/or producers were selling for very low prices. A foal out of this mare would probably not be highly saleable in today environment.
Breeders are culling herds and opting not to even breed mares they keep because they don't see potential profit. It's still costly to maintain an "empty" mare until the market improves. In that type of market, she's a tough sell.

(I admit that I often repeat this screed and that I seem like a real wet blanket, but I do think that too many "weak" mares are being bred. By weak I mean, mares lacking strong female families and solid racing credentials of their own. It is NOT intended as a knock on the mare. I am sure that she's lovely and that there is a perfect place for her.)

SuperEventer
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:45 PM
I don't take it as a wet blanket! I am aware of the crappy market everywhere. I just want to find her a good home, even if I don't make any money. I kinda got stuck with the mares, and I want them to end up in good places, if I can help it.

Question, what is the race breeding like on the mare Pink Jade, 1999 bay mare. I have her as well. She's an over $100K winner, from what I've been told.

KBEquine
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:48 PM
She's a fantastic mover, so she'll be okay in the sporthorse world! :)

Great to hear - there are mares who are the ultimate in the sporthorse world who aren't nearly as good as the seller says in the racehorse world (and that's not a knock on whoever you bought her from - depending on where he is, she MIGHT be the be-all/end-all in racehorses in his neck of the woods, too.) But I agree with Linny on this one.

I'm a fan of the horse (Indian Charlie) but the market's really rough - if she's got a riding future or a future breeding sporthorses, so much the better for both of you.

Linny
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
I don't take it as a wet blanket! I am aware of the crappy market everywhere. I just want to find her a good home, even if I don't make any money. I kinda got stuck with the mares, and I want them to end up in good places, if I can help it.

Question, what is the race breeding like on the mare Pink Jade, 1999 bay mare. I have her as well. She's an over $100K winner, from what I've been told.

Thank you for taking my frankness as pragmatism, not an insult.:)

Pink Jade was the best horse to come from her family in several generations. Her first 2 or 3 dams were owned by the Paulsons, they bred and raced champions like Escena, Ajina and Azeri. In fact Pink Jade is by Jade Hunter, the sire of Azeri. That said, apart from Azeri, Jade Hunter wasn't that big a success at stud so being his daughter doesn't really make her"well bred." her family (meaning the dam line) hasn't produced alot so she's not likely to be a hot ticket as a breeding prospect.

lsa
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
I go to starquine and it seems like a good site.

SleepyFox
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:55 AM

Pink Jade might be a useful mare for a smaller program. She broke the six figure mark in earnings, which is nothing to sneeze at and she was sound enough for 40 starts. She didn't win a ton of races, though (4). Jade Hunter is a respected, useful sire and her damsire, Strawberry Road is also. I didn't look up her family, but from what Linny says, the weakness there is a drawback. It's also a drawback that she's 10 years old without having been bred (or has she had sporthorse foals?). She's a mare that someone might take a chance on for a very cheap price.

danceronice
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:10 AM
Pink Jade might be worth something in a small market. Looking at the other mare, though, the only thing I see is just a slight novelty in Arts and Letters, a name that doesn't pop up often that I've noticed (means nothing in terms of value.) Too far back to be of real consequence.

Bearing in mind that I'm just a pedigree hobbyist who likes to read about bloodlines and not a breeder myself, I'd say if she can move sell her for sport breeding (and better yet get her going under saddle if she's not because broodmares who can't do anything except pump out babies end up in bad places in the current market. Check out AC4H, Fugly's Enumclaw reports, etc.) Like they said above, there are horses with sensational bloodlines who aren't selling or are going for bargain-basement prices right now.