PDA

View Full Version : Do you oil your new calfskin saddle?

HCH
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
I jsut received my Amerigo Pinerolo and was wondering what everyone uses on these? I typically soak all my new leather tack in Hydrophane but am wondering if that is ok with calfskin?

Thanks for any feedback!

xcjumper
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:54 PM
Well my Antares is calfskin and they sent it with oil. I can't remember if I rode in it a few times then oiled it or oiled it right away.....

jn4jenny
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:55 AM
I give my Amerigo Pinerolo CC a light annual coating of Hydrophane so that I can (damply) sponge it down at least twice a week without hurting it. After the sponge-downs, it also gets a light coat of Passier Lederbalsam (both to reinforce the water resistance of the hydrophane and to provide a light protective layer). This was on the advice of a trusted friend who used to rep the brand and gave this advice to hundreds of customers. We're at the two-year mark now, and the saddle still looks and feels like a million bucks. I can count on two hands the number of times I've cleaned it properly with castile soap. The wipe-down-and-go seems to be all it needs.

Make sure you're using calfskin stirrup leathers or else you'll scratch the flaps.

HCH
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks SO much for the advice. I totally missed the issue with the stirrup leathers.... duh! glad to hear I can use Hydrophane with this saddle. I have done the same as you with my other saddles - once or twice a year give a good coat and then easy maintenance in between.

raave05
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:35 AM
i just got an older model amerigo CC from equestrian imports in florida, and they recommended using the amerigo conditioner (much like the lederbalsam) twice a month for the first 3 months, and once a month thereafter. as to daily rides, i was advised to simply wipe off sweat and dirt, and occasionally wipe down with a product like the ledercombi.

mine isn't all calfskin, but the seat and knee flaps are, and there were no different instructions, so i'm betting this would work for the pinerolo.

Eventrider13
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
I would use neatsfoot oil

eventingismylife
Oct. 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
I no longer use oil on my tack because it causes the leather to stretch, I recommend using St├╝bben Hamanol Leather Dressing. It cures and conditions the leather,but doesn't cause it to stretch.

flypony74
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:06 PM
I rarely, if ever, use oil on my tack. Think about it...leather is skin. How often do you oil your skin? I prefer a balsam type conditioner, especially for a soft leather like calfskin. I, personally, wouldn't oil it.

Phaxxton
Oct. 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
I rarely, if ever, use oil on my tack. Think about it...leather is skin. How often do you oil your skin?

About as often as I de-flesh it and tan it. ;) Leather care isn't really at all like like skin care, but FWIW, many people apply moisturizers / lotions with oil more than once a day...