PDA

View Full Version : Is wrapping bit legal?

vali
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:53 PM
I have a mare with narrow sharp bars in her mouth. I've tried rubber and happy mouth bits, but both were a little too thick for her and she fussed. The best bit so far I've found is an Albacon baucher, which is dressage legal, but I'm wondering if I can wrap Sealtest (?) tape on it to cushion it further? She's very soft-mouthed, but tends to overreact to half halts, especially at events. I know you can do it, but is the bit still legal? I've looked at the rule book and didn't see anything that clearly answers the question, although I'm sure it's there somewhere.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Janet or one of the wiser folks than me will hopefully chime in but I'm about 85% sure it isn't legal for dressage but ok for jumping.

Hilary
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:37 PM
It's not legal for dressage - but is for jumping.

Star loved her sealtex wrapped bit but when she turned 5 my instructor said since it's not legal for flatwork, time for a "grown up horse" bit. (An old model KK loose ring). She's fine wit that too.

superpony123
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:54 PM
wandered over from H/J land, with my dumb questions in tow :winkgrin:

why exactly is sealtex not legal for dressage but it is for jumping?? or just in general, why are certain bits okay for one phase but not the other? (again, i apologize for my silly questions. i am just a plain ol hunter gal :lol:)

Janet
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:01 PM
The rules are different for "straight dressage" and "eventing dressage".

In straight dressage, the rule book says

*Any of the above may be made with a rubber, plastic or leather covering, but the bit may not
be modified by adding latex or other material.

But the eventing rules don't have an equivalent statement. So, as I understand it, they ARE legal for Eventing Dressage.

Unprovoked92
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:09 PM
I compete one horse in a wrapped myler loose ring in eventing dressage. Its only ever been questioned once, and the TD said no problem.

Janet
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:13 PM
wandered over from H/J land, with my dumb questions in tow :winkgrin:

why exactly is sealtex not legal for dressage but it is for jumping?? or just in general, why are certain bits okay for one phase but not the other? (again, i apologize for my silly questions. i am just a plain ol hunter gal :lol:)

Well, first, there is no restriction at all on the bit for the jumping phases of eventing, just like jumpers.

For dressage, in order to properly demonstrate the training an responsiveness of the horse, you have to use a plain, smooth snaffle. No wire, twisted, or roller mouthpieces, and no leverage.

But every time a new bit comes along, the rules committees have to make a decision on whether the new bit is "plain, smooth" or not. Quite often the Eventing rules committee and the Dressage rules committee reach different conclusions. And sometimes the rules themselves are not entirely clear. So "check with the TD before you ride" is the common approach for anything questionable.

I don't know why the dressage commiittee ruled against wrapping with latex. Possibly someone was wrapping in a way that made a non-smooth surface, but I really do not know.

superpony123
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:40 PM
there was a HUGE thread with the same topic a while back (maybe a year or so ago? more?) if someone could find and post (im having trouble finding it) that would be so awesome :D the barns on that thread were CRAZY beautiful!