PDA

View Full Version : should I rake the leaves?

buck22
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
my paddocks are mostly open but have a few stands of trees and is heavily treed around the perimeter. No conifers, but I do get a pretty good carpet of fall leaves, like 80% coverage, but not a thick blanket of leaves.

If I rake the leaves, will the grass grow better next year?

and if so, is there any way I can enlist the help of my horse? :lol: like a horse-drawn york rake or something? just kidding, I'd probably steal my boyfriend's leaf blower. :cool:

but really, does anyone rake the leaves? is it worth doing?

thanks!

Flying Hippotamus
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:57 PM
In pastures and lawn area I just mow the leaves to nothing. Leaves left covering grass will kill it but nice and mulched up by mower helps the soil.

Foxtrot's
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:58 PM
I wait, and mine get blown over to the neighbors in the November winds!

shakeytails
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
Rake? Hell no, that's what lawnmowers and bush hogs are for...and what doesn't get chopped up blows to the neighbor's!

horsegirl123
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:16 PM
I mow mine as well.

buck22
Oct. 18, 2009, 05:45 PM
hmmm. I board, and have no mower (the bo doesn't mow either), but have been strongly considering investing in a leaf blower/vac/mulcher in hopes it would speed up some of the chores I regularly do by hand. hmmmm....

Only thing to figure out is a safe place to keep it and the gas can (again, I board, my options are limited).

thanks everyone!

nightsong
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:16 AM
Hey, I thought *I* was the only one who knew about "mowing" leaves to turn them into mulch! :(

jn4jenny
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:43 AM
hmmm. I board, and have no mower (the bo doesn't mow either), but have been strongly considering investing in a leaf blower/vac/mulcher in hopes it would speed up some of the chores I regularly do by hand. hmmmm....

Only thing to figure out is a safe place to keep it and the gas can (again, I board, my options are limited).

thanks everyone!

Get an electric mower with a battery. Then no need to store a gas can. Also much less stinky to transport back and forth in your car.

buck22
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:59 PM
Get an electric mower with a battery. Then no need to store a gas can. Also much less stinky to transport back and forth in your car.
brilliant!!!!!!! thank you!