PDA

View Full Version : Nice jumper bat?

mbmarsh
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:57 PM
OK - I've been looking and can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe you guys can help. I'm looking for a nice jumper bat - the kind you see on the front of the Dover catalog with the big name jumpers on there.

The closest picture I can find is here: http://www.deversaddlery.co.uk/1-day-i601600.html

My trainer has one, although we can't figure out where it's from - the label wore off.......but, it's about 20" long, has the mushroom handle (which I really like, because it won't slip out of your hand) and the body is wrapped in black patent vinyl. Then it has the traditional flapper at the end. The important thing - it has some heft to it - not crazy like an actual race whip, but solid.

I know someone knows what I'm talking about. I bought a race whip off eBay, but it's too long and a bit too extreme. Where do the BNT and riders get these incredibly nice jumper bats?

Thanks!

Kahuna
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:46 PM
Angel makes whips for a lot of the jumper riders. He does a fantastic job!

http://www.aandjice.com/custom_whips.html

JinxyFish313
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:48 PM
I see nice quality bats at tack stores that carry hunting equipment. They are not flimsy and are usually leather and feel right in your hand. I use the generic black bat with leather grip from any old tack store because I lose them all the time, and they work just as well as any other.

karens
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
I just bought this one from Dover http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-1409&ids=1024976041
It's got just enough weight/length to it...and you can't beat the price!

brynleigh
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:15 PM
Judy's tack shop make jumper whips as well. I have a couple and they have held up nicely, they are not as pricey as the Angel whips.

mbmarsh
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't think I was looking to spend $125 on a bat - I was thinking more in the $50 range, but any other ideas? I keep having a hard time finding the patent vinyl that I'm looking for - it really looks like it will hold up well....

Thanks!

AHorseSomeDay
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:50 PM
Beval has nice jumper bats and the prices are good.

Lollipop
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:34 PM
I too once thought that $125 was a little much to spend on a whip, but I am so happy that I went ahead and bought an Angel whip anyway. I've had it for three years, and will probably have it for many more. Since I paid so much, I tend to be really protective of it to the point where people might think I'm crazy, but I have never lost it for this reason. I don't let people borrow it, and I make a point not to drop it. To me, it was completely worth the investment to have a well made whip that will serve me well for years, even though I initially balked at the price. They are nice because they are fully customizable as well. He can make any color combination, and any length, and any firmness. I haven't found a different type of whip in any tack shop that is as well made, or holds up like Angels. Two thumbs up for him.

tBHj
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:42 PM
Baines make nice jumper bats and you can customize the colors. They are $84 CDN.

JenEM
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:00 AM
Bit of Britain has a decent range of colors for customizable jockey whips for $30.

klmck63
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:06 AM
I was looking for one a couple months ago. Whatever you do, DON'T GOOGLE IT! :lol::lol:

But I like this brand. (http://www.stingercustom.com/whips.html) And it's only $10 more for a custom one.
ETA: The one I have has a nice solid 'thwack' to it, if that makes sense!

LaBonnieBon
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah! I have been looking for Angel's contact info so I could order a bat. His are the best!

THANKS!

mbmarsh
Oct. 20, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm sure this will sound really silly, but I can't find one with the handle I want - I'm really looking for that kinda mushroom top, where the handle flares out just a bit - it makes it much easier to hold on to, since I can kinda let that top rest in my fingers without actually having to grip the bat. None of the sites I've seen do that???

myvanya
Oct. 20, 2009, 01:38 PM
this probably isn't as fancy as you want, but my favorite bat of all time is my snowbee bat. It has the right balance and length to it... a nice non goofy looking leather popper, and the perfect grip...rubber with just enough of a knob at the top that it can't slide through my hand...love it...I am so picky about my bats/crops....they come in cool metallics and such but also classic black too....

cxt
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:10 PM
I was looking for one a couple months ago. Whatever you do, DON'T GOOGLE IT! :lol::lol:

But I like this brand. (http://www.stingercustom.com/whips.html) And it's only $10 more for a custom one.
ETA: The one I have has a nice solid 'thwack' to it, if that makes sense!

I have a stinger too and LOVE it. He uses gimp (the stuff we used to make bracelets out of) to wrap the outside and make them in whatever colour combinations you like.

They have just the right spring, with decent weight and whatever length and grip lenght and popper you would like.

And they aren't $150

Pirateer
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:26 PM
I have a gorgeous whip from beval. Comes in black or brown leather with the metal top and a decent heft to it. It was $30 or so.