PDA

View Full Version : Successfully repairing cracks in Muck Boots?

PilchuckView
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:47 PM
The thread about waterproof boots prompted this post. I see that some folks have had luck repairing their Muck Boots. I have tried two different types of sealers, but my boots still leak! I've tried the brand by Shoe Goo, and I've tried some marine-grade sealant. The repairs seem to last for a few wearings, then the sealant starts to peel off. The cracks aren't in areas that bend, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Each time I thoroughly cleaned the boots, let them dry inside for a few days, and even prepped the site with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue. I let the repairs dry for a few days before wearing the boots.

Am I missing some step? How did you make it work? Maybe it's just time for me to cough up the money and buy a new pair!

goldponies
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:59 PM
I stopped buying them for that very reason. Good luck, maybe call a shoe repair shop and ask them?

joiedevie99
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
There may be some outside coating on the rubber to make them shiny. You probably have to sand that off to make the patch stick.

Guilherme
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:28 PM
Contact a dive shop and see what they use to repair dry suits.

G.

foundationmare
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:41 PM
FWIW, I wrote a letter to the Muck Boot Co. complaining about cracks in boots that weren't terribly old, although I did wear them every single day. Well, lo and behold, they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked. All they requested was that I send the old pair back.

I don't know if they still do that, but it's worth a try (and it's also a good way for the company to know that their product has a problem).

FatCatFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:21 PM
FWIW, I wrote a letter to the Muck Boot Co. complaining about cracks in boots that weren't terribly old, although I did wear them every single day. Well, lo and behold, they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked. All they requested was that I send the old pair back.

I don't know if they still do that, but it's worth a try (and it's also a good way for the company to know that their product has a problem).

I'm going to remember this since I'm going to be paying nearly four times the price for a pair of these to what I have been wearing getting the same problem.

LauraKY
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:08 PM
I use Goop. Fixes running shoes and muck boots. Clean with alcohol first.

crosscreeksh
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:33 PM
Timely post...I just fixed a pair for a friend yesterday and am waiting for a pair of mine to dry right now. I've tried Goop - my FAVORITE fix-it remedy several times - didn't use alcohol though - and the fix lasted a few weeks then peeled off. My friend's whole sole separated and I used Gorilla glue to mend that. So far it looks successful. I followed the directions - dampened one surface, waited 10 minutes then squished pieces together. I also wrapped duct tape around to hold the sole tightly in place. Tonight I tried the Gorilla glue on a 1 inch tear in my boots - I put the glue inside the tear under the rubber and outside the fabric lining - poked the cut edges in place and let dry. I'll let you know if if works. I virtually live in my Muck boots here in Oklahoma "Autum"!! We have black clay MUD!!!!

exie4me
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:36 AM
My husband put a hole in his muck boot and repaired it with a tire patch about a yr ago. Doesn't look the greatest but is still holding with everyday hard use.

evenstar
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:56 PM
I confess, when I get split in mine, I buy a pair of rubbers and put them on the muck boots (assuming the crack is in a location where the outer layer covers the crack). I've done that and gotten a couple more years of wear out of mine.

MistyBlue
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
Tire patches do work. :yes:
Also check online for scuba suit places and order a scuba suit rip repair kit. That works really well too.
Never thought to call Muck about rips though...awesome they sent you a new pair no questions! I love a place with excellent customer service! (which is why I adore LL Bean and Keurig)
Mine never rip except for when I trip into the electric ground for my barn...I made a walk through in the fence right near it and that wasn't very smart of me. At least once a week I trip over the damned thing...and once in a while I bang my ankle on it instead of the toe and that will cause a rip sometimes. I use the scuba repair kit for those...and those are entirely my fault.
I did get useful info when I boought my first pair of Mucks...I bought them at the Equine Affaire and the salesperson told me that while they're definitely a lot more hardy than all other brands against breaking down from urine (from stall cleaning) they aren't totally immune to it...so to make them break down less over time and more rip proof, to rinse them off a few times per week after stall cleaning. Not sure if that's why mine never rip for no reason...but I've stuck to that advice and have never had a tear without me causing it. After stalls in the morning, before coming back up to the house I turn on the outside frostfree hydrant and stick the shoe portion of my Mucks under there. An added bonus is not tracking dirt into the basement. :)
But good to know Muck is so good with customer service...I'll keep that in mind. But so far so good with my Mucks...I'm on only my second pair of tall Brit Riders in 7 or 8 years and my old ones wore out inside...started rubbing through. But then I do wear mine 8 months of the year every single day and often for 6-8 hours at a time. The tall Brits are used for barn chores, outside repairs, snow clearing, riding...they're even my "play in the snow with the kids" snow boots. I beat the hell outta mine. Also have the Chore Masters and my youngest has the kids tall Mucks as her snow boots. Hubby has the tall Mucks and Muck shoes. My basement boot rack is pretty much row after row of Mucks! :D