PDA

View Full Version : What are some reasonably priced winter schooling tights?

Bobblehead
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:08 AM
My polarfleece ones are wearing out. I need the warmest things I can get and don't want to pay over $100. Is that possible?

patina.marc
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
There is a thread on the dressage forum that you might want to read regarding warm breeches. Personally, while they are not inexpensive, I LOVE my FITS!!. After I made the plunge in price, I tossed my other breeches! I have not tried the winter weight ones but I plan to get a pair this season. Keep your eyes open for Holiday discounts from the on-line stores. You can find 25% off at some shops!! Good Luck

chawley
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:15 PM
The Tuffrider fleece breeches are very warm and they hold up great. Best part- $42!

tidy rabbit
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:30 PM
The Tuffrider fleece breeches are very warm and they hold up great. Best part- $42!

Are they stretchy? I need to buy some warm breeches but have been concerned these would be like the old pair I have from eons ago that didn't really move with me. :)

JenEM
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:33 PM
I have two pair of the TuffRiders for winter, and find them very comfortable. It's like wearing your favorite sweatpants to ride! Definitely a good deal for the price; I like them better than the slightly more expensive Kerrits pair I have.

myvanya
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
I just ordered some of the Irideon three season tights from equestrian collections- they were under $50 and have great reviews. I haven't gotten them yet, but I love my irideon isential tights so I am very excited to get a pair. A tip though, if you wear an adult small, try getting a kids xl- I find they fit me beautifully and they are less expensive :D A hint on equatrian collections too- actually select the color and size you are thinking of ordering as sometimes that changes the price. I was pleasantly surprised as the irideons were cheaper than listed for the size and color I wanted.

ladipus
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
My polarfleece ones are wearing out. I need the warmest things I can get and don't want to pay over $100. Is that possible?

Dover has big sales right now....Kerritz and Irideon both on sale-great everyday warm tights

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:35 PM
Dover has a Riders version of the Kerrits polarfleece tights that are quite good. I have both the Riders and the Kerrits, and while I do prefer the Kerrits for the fit, they were almost double the price of the Riders! I think I paid $49 for the Riders. The sizing is comparable to the Kerrits.

Hampton Bay
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:13 PM
Tuff Riders are the warmest I have found. I am a big cold wimp, so when I lived in KY I actually wore the Kerrits under the TuffRiders. Now THAT was toasty!

The TuffRiders are a touch stiffer than many other breeches, but it didn't bother me at all.

Lucassb
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:57 PM
My absolute favorite for winter riding is the winter breeches from Smartpak. http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=5387

They are a little over $100 but they are super comfortable, wear like iron and (IMO, best of all...) they look like normal breeches.

As a plus, this year they FINALLY offered them in tan - so you can even show in them. They are cut to look very similar to the TS breeches, and aren't the least bit bulky despite being very warm. I highly recommend them!

enjoytheride
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:20 PM
I like the kerrits, the kneepatches are very reasonable. They are good solo into the lower 30s below that I add a pair of longjohns.

chawley
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:49 PM
Are they stretchy? I need to buy some warm breeches but have been concerned these would be like the old pair I have from eons ago that didn't really move with me. :)

Mine have reasonable give. The new ones I just looked at at the Quarter Horse Congress seemed very stretchy - definitely more so than mine.

caradino
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:30 AM
while a lot of their other stuff is not so nice.. i actually really like devonaire's fleece lined britches. they have a front zip and a snap, which i like a lot better than pull-ons, and are warm and comfy and stretchy. mine last several winters, and when they get too thin and worn to wear on their own i use them as really hardcore long underwear under jeans or snowpants! i think they retail for around $50 or $60.. not expensive at all.

wildlifer
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:33 PM
I highly recommend Kerritts fleece lines breeches, so comfy and warm and definitely under $100 as I refuse to pay that much money for a pair of pants that I will just get dirt on.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
I love the Kerrits fleece lined as well but this winter I want to add a pair of long johns underneath...any suggestions?

dab
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:41 PM
The Devonaire fleece-lined breeches are my favorites too -- They're comfortable, and I prefer the look of zip-up breeces to tights --

I have a pair of Kerrits tights, and they're fine -- I have a pair of Tuff Riders, and they are warmer -- I find the Tuff Riders pill a bit, but not horribly -- The Tuff Riders also have a zippered pocket --

SarahandSam
Oct. 20, 2009, 06:20 AM
I have a pair of Kerrits fleece tights that are the most comfortable tights in the world--so fleecy and stretchy I would wear them around the house all day. They're not as warm though; they're perfect for fall and spring weather. I have a couple of pairs of the Tuff Riders; they're very warm, but they do pill a lot and the zippered pocket broke the first time I used it on one pair. I'm not crazy about them but they're warm and cheap.