PDA

View Full Version : Catch Indoor Eventing LIVE from Toronto's Royal Winter Fair

mcd
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to bring it to your attention that we will be LIVE webcasting from the Royal in Toronto from November 6th - 15th at www.royalfair.org it's free for a small-size window, or $29.95 if you want a full-size, high quality window for all 10 days plus a year of on-demand viewing. Or you can get four hour chunks for ten bucks. Check out the complete schedule and what's new on our website www.royalfair.org

Oliver Townend is coming over from Britain to try and de-throne three-time Champion Waylon Roberts, who has won the Good Crop Services Indoor Eventing Championships each year since its inception. Mind you, Waylon's dad Ian Roberts will also be competing this year, looking to oust his own son! David O'Connor is our course designer and if you've never seen this run, it really is a hoot.

The American jumpers that are coming up to compete in our international division are: McLain Ward, Kent Farrington, Margie Engle, Christine McCrea, Todd Minikus, Laura Kraut and possibly Hillary Dobbs. The internationals are: Gerco Schroder, Andres Rodriguez, Ljubov Kochetova, Dermott Lennon, Nick Skelton, Michael Whitaker, William Whitaker and Robert Smith.

We also have CDI 3* dressage, the heavy-horse hitches, the Superdogs, the Hackney Championships, Clay Maier, a Dressage-Reining pas-de-deux with Gillian Sutherland and Reserve World Champion Harvey Stevens, and so much more.

Follow us on Twitter @royalhorseshow and become a fan on Facebook of Royal Winter Fair Horse Show.

Thanks!

Michelle :)

RAyers
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
Nothing against you, mcd but "Indoor Eventing" is like military intelligence, government aid, speed dressage, comfortable bra, ....

Reed

Jealoushe
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
hopefully it's not a speed thing again...

GoodyTwo
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm sure it's a "speed thing". There's no dressage and the jumps don't fall down. I wonder how else would one make this type of competition work?

It's an entertaining night out. :)

RAyers
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:01 PM
I'm sure it's a "speed thing". There's no dressage and the jumps don't fall down. I wonder how else would one make this type of competition work?

You point out exactly why "Indoor Eventing" is an oxymoron. It is not eventing in that there is no dressage or stadium. There is no cross country as it is indoors. It is a specifically manufactured game with no function other than to generate money. "Indoor eventing" is to eventing they way miniature golf is to golf. This is the only way to "make" this type of competition work.

Reed

flutie1
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
"... comfortable bra"

Aw, honey. I've never heard you complain about your bra before. Maybe you need a larger cup size?

:-)

fooler
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
Nothing against you, mcd but "Indoor Eventing" is like military intelligence, government aid, speed dressage, comfortable bra, ....

Reed

Agree completely

fooler
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:49 PM
"... comfortable bra"

Aw, honey. I've never heard you complain about your bra before. Maybe you need a larger cup size?

:-)

Hey Reed - Playtex 18 hour is not bad.. . . .:winkgrin::D:lol:

GoodyTwo
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:35 PM
Agreed... not eventing, but still an entertaining night out. :D

patricia.dasilva
Nov. 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
posted some videos of Indoor Eventing class 1 on Facebook. click here for videos (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/ECOGOLD-Equestrian-Textile-Engineering/186619360590?ref=nf)

Penny Rowland won, Oliver Townend was 2nd. As a spectator, it was the best show in town for sure! Too bad there weren't more people in the stands...oh, well

Couture TB
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:07 AM
Did anyone else find Penny Rowland's ride scary?

SkipChange
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:12 AM
Did anyone else find Penny Rowland's ride scary?

Yes, she looked like she was about to fall off!

Bravestrom
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:51 AM

Click on the links to the videos - there are some stadium jumps that fall down.

We are going tonight - first time for my husband to watch it so it will be interesting to see his perspective. The boys always enjoy going. It is great to see all the event riders that we know outside of competitions.

patricia.dasilva
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yay! I was told a bunch of Pony Clubbers will be in the stands tonight...should be loud!!!! :D

PS - posted a couple more videos on FB: click here for Indoor eventing videos (http://www.facebook.com/pages/ECOGOLD-Equestrian-Textile-Engineering/186619360590?ref=ts#/pages/ECOGOLD-Equestrian-Textile-Engineering/186619360590?ref=ts)

Bravestrom
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:03 AM
That's how we got started going was through pc - my boys didn't join this year but it will be nice to see some of the kids

GotSpots
Nov. 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
Penny Rowland won, Oliver Townend was 2nd. As a spectator, it was the best show in town for sure! Too bad there weren't more people in the stands...oh, well I'm disappointed to hear that you thought this was "the best show in town" - I found it frightening, and not at all representative of what eventing is. For a company that has so far appeared to support real eventing, this seems to be a step back, and I'm disappointed to hear of a connection between Ecogold and this class. The horses did not appear to understand the questions, and solid or semi-solid obstacles in those tight venues is not a fabulous idea. i would hope that this does not catch on - it is way too much like the "Express Eventing" horror-show.

SevenDogs
Nov. 10, 2009, 04:00 PM
GotSpots -- I agree.... not good. :no:

RAyers
Nov. 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
After watching the videos, why the hell don't these folks just go do a jumper show? The only difference was the size of fence and the solid fences. This is not eventing at all. It is jumpers for shut-in eventers. Sadly, the solid fences combined with the SLOW speed seemed to cause more issues. Don't these organizers think before creating these "classes?"

Reed

Ibex
Nov. 10, 2009, 06:00 PM
The Royal USED to be a huge multi-disciplinary show. I think there's some mix these days, but it's mostly H/J. Indoor Eventing was introduced as a novelty act/entertainment, just like the carriage racing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncG5_uaq2A&feature=PlayList&p=5367BF75DDC1D931&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5

Gry2Yng
Nov. 10, 2009, 07:55 PM
FIRST, if it is INDOORS it is NOT EVENTING in my book. Period, end of story.

Second, if PR is the winner and that round (not saying anything about Penny in a broader spectrum) is the example of eventing we are going to put out there, we should all be ashamed. It looks like a bad childrens/adult round where the adult can barely ride and the trainer is standing at the in gate yelling "kick, kick" and the adult is proud that she didn't fall off.

I am HORRIFIED by the concept and the winning round. God forbid someone looks at this an an example.

ETA: By the way, what part of this looks SAFE! (In the sense that any horse sport is safe.)

archieflies
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
People travel across oceans to take part in this? Really?

It looks less terrifying than Express Eventing, sure, but like a bad junior version of the same poor concept.

And I agree about the winning ride- a fairly embarassing disgrace to equestrian sports in general.

patricia.dasilva
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:01 AM
My company is not associated with this class in any way. I came to support the riders.
I don't think anyone is seeing this as an example of real eventing. The Royal has all kinds of spectator-friendly classes: showjumpers with dogs...etc
I just find it nice to have eventing featured in some way.
Now, if this class is unsafe or dangerous, you should definitely send your feedback to the horse show & give them ideas for next year.

ksbadger
Nov. 11, 2009, 12:48 AM
Guess this replaces Hunt Night. If you think this is scary, picture not one but three riders going over the jumps in various combinations finishing with all three doing the same one at the same time. And they'd all had their stirrup cup to boot.

alicen
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:00 AM
Well,........ . Those were remarkably undistinguished performances. Maybe they could include a trot extension and a halfpass and have the whole "event" over in a jiffy.

archieflies
Nov. 11, 2009, 07:34 PM
My company is not associated with this class in any way.

When you post the videos and promote it on what appears to be an "official company facebook page," it sure gives the impression of an association. It creates a link between the company and the event, which is in fact an association, whether a sponsorship exists or not. Most companies think carefully about unofficially promoting events that they don't want to appear to sponsor/support.

Romany
Nov. 11, 2009, 08:47 PM
Guess this replaces Hunt Night. If you think this is scary, picture not one but three riders going over the jumps in various combinations finishing with all three doing the same one at the same time. And they'd all had their stirrup cup to boot.

What? You mean horses (herd animals) jumped jumps together? Like in pairs classes, or steeple-chasing, or point-to-pointing, or hurdling? And the riders (sentient adults as well as being herd animals) had a drink beforehand? Oh, the horror! ;)

nomeolvides
Nov. 12, 2009, 05:32 AM
When you post the videos and promote it on what appears to be an "official company facebook page," it sure gives the impression of an association. It creates a link between the company and the event, which is in fact an association, whether a sponsorship exists or not. Most companies think carefully about unofficially promoting events that they don't want to appear to sponsor/support.
Oh lordy....

this was just a fun class people! Not meant to be a replacement for real eventing.

Bravestrom
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:20 AM
People travel across oceans to take part in this? Really?

It looks less terrifying than Express Eventing, sure, but like a bad junior version of the same poor concept.

And I agree about the winning ride- a fairly embarassing disgrace to equestrian sports in general.

I don't think ot crossed the ocean just for this - he is doing a 3 day clinic and participating in a few other things. By the way he is a great clinician and my son had the opportunity to attend.

We always enjoy the eventing - it makes the boys want to get out there - really makes them sad the season is over and it is fun. My husband watched it for the first time this year - he loved it - especially because he saw the hunters just before that.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 12, 2009, 08:28 AM
The show wasn't meant to show people what eventing is. It is like an indoor short course. The fences aren't big, prelim height. Some of the horses are **** horses, some of them are prelim horses. It can get a little scary at times with the speed and in past years some of the riding has been BRUTAL and I've said so. This year I didn't attend.

I have often wondered if people who attend those nights (which are usually the horsey crowd because nothing too major is going on those nights) understand the difference between eventing and indoor eventing. Because if they don't, it's a poor highlight of our sport. If they do, then it's just another fun speed class that people REALLY love.

Some horses get really screwy after it though. I know of a few that it kinda wrecked them after they did the indoor crap.

Gry2Yng
Nov. 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Oh lordy....

this was just a fun class people! Not meant to be a replacement for real eventing.

Well, since half the horse world already thinks eventers are a bunch of yahoos who take horses who can't succeed in any other discipline and run pell mell at solid obstacles, I can see the value in this display. :rolleyes:

Blugal
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
What is scary to me is watching the horses going around all those turns unbalanced. Watch their hind ends and see how many of them cross-canter around the corners because they don't have their balance. (Try using your outside leg, riders! Not just the reins!)

There is nothing professional about that.

JER
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:50 AM
I thought winter was the season when eventers dreamed about next year's events.

This indoor stuff isn't eventing. At best, it's fast and unbalanced showjumping at a (very) mediocre height. You can't change that fact no matter how much money is on offer.

sisu27
Nov. 12, 2009, 01:11 PM
Where are you all getting the notion that this is a big $$ event? Confusing it with Express Eventing?

OT probably made more $$ doing the clinics at Dreamcrest.

nomeolvides
Nov. 12, 2009, 06:12 PM
Well, since half the horse world already thinks eventers are a bunch of yahoos who take horses who can't succeed in any other discipline and run pell mell at solid obstacles, I can see the value in this display. :rolleyes:
Did half the world even see this display?
I'm not going to say "oh wow, that was an amazing display of horsemanship" because it blatantly wasn't, but these indoor eventing-type competitions have been going on for years and (with the exception of EE) haven't had a negative effect on the image of eventing have they?

Arcadien
Nov. 12, 2009, 06:40 PM
Did half the world even see this display?
I'm not going to say "oh wow, that was an amazing display of horsemanship" because it blatantly wasn't, but these indoor eventing-type competitions have been going on for years and (with the exception of EE) haven't had a negative effect on the image of eventing have they?

Umm, well eventing's image does seem to be going down, down, down, in the last decade or so.

Not saying this "indoor eventing" stuff is the cause... but, heck, I sure don't think it helps, you know?

Not trying to be argumentave, just happened to be here to point out the obvious before someone else did...

nomeolvides
Nov. 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
Arcadien- I don't really think the blame lies at the feet of these competitions.

Gry2Yng
Nov. 12, 2009, 06:53 PM
If one of my h/j girlfriends saw that competition she would extrapolate the performance to the entire discipline and come home to tell me what terrible riders eventers are and what horrific things we do to our horses.

FWIW, I don't ride any better or worse than any other eventers I know, but every time I take a clinic with an h/j or a dq I am told that I don't ride like a typical eventer. Why because they think we can't see a distance, don't know how to ride a rhythm, wouldn't understand a half halt, etc.

My question is, why do we need to make ourselves look bad in what amounts to an exhibition? What are we exhibiting?

Court jesters made fools of themselves for the amusement of the king. We don't need to provide amusement.

nomeolvides
Nov. 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
Why stop an extra class that is meant to be fun, just because some riders from other disciplines have got the wrong idea of eventers? I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one :D

advmom
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:41 AM
After watching the video, it certainly does not do the sport any justice.
Not exactly the publicity this great sport is in need of