PDA

View Full Version : Zinc plating

N&B&T
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
Should probably have asked before it was a done deal but--I am getting new yoke screens and have ordered some with "zinc plating" which will arrive next week. What should I be aware of, if anything?

chicamuxen1
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:36 AM
You should realize that you made a good decision because they won't rust with that zinc galvanized coating, or at least they won't rust for many, many years. I've given up on buying painted farm gates and have switched to the higher priced galvanized gates because they last so much longer.

chicamuxen

N&B&T
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am replacing powder-coated yoke screens that were just adequate, but within budget when I built, and yes, they are already rusting. Rustoleum would cure that but they don't work for me for other reasons.

I lust after Lucas Equine galvanized yoke screens (not the flat ones) but need to budget for other upgrades/repairs/etc...

I chose yoke screens from Royal Wire because they seemed much nicer than what I have and the price is still within reach. By the way, I'd like to mention their customer service is outstanding so far (compared to company used previously, which begins with an N; some of you have dealt with them :eek: ).

I assumed that the zinc plating was equivalent to galvanized but just want someone to tell me they won't get some kind of obscure zinc poisoning if they lick them :winkgrin:.

Tom King
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
Galvanizing is zinc. There are several grades of galvanizing though. The two main ones are "hot dipped" and electrocoated.

In hot dipping the metal assembly (mostly after fabrication is done-maybe some bolt together left, but all welding is done prior) is dipped in acid to clean it down to bare metal, rinsed, and dipped in a big vat of molten Zinc. It's the best, most longest lasting. Boat trailers that I built in the early '80's that I had dipped still are in fine shape as well as some extra parts that have just been sitting over in the edge of the woods since then.

Electrocoating has all sorts of vaieties but is generally a lot thinner than hot dipped.

N&B&T
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Tom King! I guess I always thought galvanizing was zinc plus something else. I don't know which type these gates are--will find out for the future.

I have a memory that someone told me galvanizing/zinc could create heavy metal poisoning but I wonder if that was in connection with auto-waterers?

Tom King
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
Every steel watering trough I've ever seen was galvanized so I wouldn't worry about gates poisoning horses.

N&B&T
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:41 AM
I agree, and can't remember the source or context so will just stop fretting; especially since am looking at 3 happy healthy horses in stalls made of PT pine :lol:

Thanks again!