PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Horse Show/ Syracuse Invit. Sporthorse Tourn.-- anyone?

Runinonjoy
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:21 AM
October 28th is fast-approaching... Are any of you COTHers competing?? Clinic-ing? Spectating? I'll be there for as much of it as possible, as a spectator of course :)

MHM
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:32 AM
I'll be there to watch some.

I've been there to see the Maclay each year it's been there, so I hope to see that again, and I may get there some during the week.

I just saw the ad for the show on the Syracuse TV station.

NorthHillFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm from the Syracuse area and go to watch every year...we usually go on Friday PM because I love seeing the Halloween costumes but I also try to go Saturday PM too if I can.

Runinonjoy
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:53 AM
I've never been to the Fri. night costume part of it... looks like fun though! Maybe I'll try to make it to that this year.

dauphine2
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'll be up spectating on Friday night, Saturday, and most of Sunday.

Nski32
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:39 PM
Ill be volunteering some, attending the George clinic and hopefully catching one of the shows, Id like to watch the Sunday show this year.

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a free live feed like last year?

LexInVA
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
I would say, not happening this year. There's nothing on the show's page about a live feed nor is there anything from EquestrianSport concerning this year's show.

findlymine
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:44 PM
there will be a live feed acording to the website yes!!!!!!!!

Jake's Dad
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
is anyone going to go up to the tower with there date or what evevr.that was my favorite place ..thank GOD it caint talk.....

Runinonjoy
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
there will be a live feed acording to the website yes!!!!!!!!

Really? Good! I wasn't able to find anything about it on the website, but I guess maybe I was looking in the wrong places :)

LexInVA
Oct. 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
Really? Good! I wasn't able to find anything about it on the website, but I guess maybe I was looking in the wrong places :)

You weren't. He's looking at something left over from last year's show.

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:12 PM
You weren't. He's looking at something left over from last year's show.

Bummer. That was such a great feed last year. I really wanted to see the costume class again and watching the eq was fantastic.

ParisHillEC
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'll be there Fri, Sat, and Sun with a bunch of young students who want to see what they can do "when they grow up" :yes:

candl615
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'll be there showing in the large younger juniors and the maclay =] i'm so excited!

IngenueP
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'll be there showing in the low junior jumpers and the maclay!

Wizard of Oz's
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:15 PM
I won't be able to go this year because of school. Bummer:p But good luck candl615 and IngenueP!!

Runinonjoy
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:28 PM
Ingenue and candl-- I'll be silently cheering you on at the Maclay (despite not knowing who you are, lol)! Good luck!! :)

Sadie*Bear
Oct. 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
Is anyone going to video any riders? I have a friend who is doing it for the first time and I would love to see her round. Please PM if you are. Thanks in advanced and good luck to the COTH Maclayers', you can give the insite on the course after the fact!

dauphine2
Oct. 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
This is kind of a silly question... but what should I wear? I don't mean fashion-wise, I mean temperature-wise. I know that it can get pretty cold up in Syracuse, but it's also indoors... Any suggestions?

Sorry for hiijacking a bit and good luck to those competing! PM me and I'll make sure to get pictures (and maybe videos) of your rounds.

MHM
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:12 PM
The highs this week will be in the mid 60s. I haven't heard the extended forecast yet. Usually a sweater is enough once you're in the building, unless it's very cold next week.

LuvMyDressageQH
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:16 PM
dauphine,
the weather in Syracuse is ridiculous. Last week we barely made it out of the 40s... Thursday is supposed to be 67 and sunny :cool:

The War Memorial (where the horse show is held) is quite comfy, as it is most frequently used for our hockey team, the Syracuse Crunch. Even though the mascot is a Yeti-Abominable Snowman, it's really not that cold. Especially on days with big events (Sat. night GP for example) the body heat in there will keep you warm :)

HOWEVER! If you check the weather before you come up you will be glad that you did, since there is usually a lot of standing outside waiting for the doors to open. I would recommend a jacket and long sleeved shirt, possibly more layers or a sweater if the weather dips back down into the 40s. If it keeps up like the rest of this week is shaping up, t-shirts will abound.

Since I work across the street I will be there Weds, Fri, Sat, and Sun :D

dauphine2
Oct. 20, 2009, 11:23 PM
Okay, thanks guys!

War Admiral
Oct. 21, 2009, 09:33 AM
Wow - no video feed at ALL???

And this purports to call itself the "National" horse show??

I vote fail.

:no:

KnickerB
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:01 PM

I vote fail.

That seems a little harsh. The show has provided a high quality livestream that costs them thousands of dollars for free for the past three years... have you sent a donation to support it or a thank you note for the service?

Syracuse is a not for profit, much like Washington and PA (I think?), and these shows have huge costs associated with running a 1 ring indoor horse show in a non-traditional venue. If, in an effort to remain sustainable in this economy, they weren't able to provide a free livestream anymore, I would take that as a clue that perhaps it's time to step up and support these shows, rather than badmouth them, if we want to see the indoor circuit survive. Or go see it in person! :)

That being said, from what I see, there will be a livestream again in 2009...
http://www.syracuseinvitational.com/thesport/WatchtheEvent/tabid/901/Default.aspx

LexInVA
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:29 PM
Nice of them to finally update that.

Runinonjoy
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:01 PM

I vote fail.

I second KnickerB's response to this post. Also, I don't understand why the lack of a live feed would automatically preclude its being considered the "'National' horse show". The National Horse Show was around long before live feeds, I'm pretty certain, and I don't think the presence or absence of a live feed has much bearing on the quality of the show.

Having said that, I *am* grateful that they'll be offering it again this year :)

And for those of you wondering about the weather, LuvMyDressageQH pretty much nailed it.... just be sure to check the forecast! www.noaa.gov is usually my go-to source of info. They're pretty accurate, but be aware that the weather here does seem to change quickly!

I am getting SO excited! :)

lauriep
Oct. 21, 2009, 06:52 PM
Wow, WA. Just Wow.

I'd be interested to see where it is mandatory to provide a free, or even pay-per, live feed for anyone's benefit. Is it a nice COURTESY? Of course. But should you expect it? Absolutely not.

I happen to know how hard the VOLUNTEERS on this show work to make it the premier event it is. And whether it has or doesn't have a live feed has zippo to do with the qualtiy they are able to attain. It has EVERYTHING to do with the care and effort these hardworking people put in.

Again, wow.

War Admiral
Oct. 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
Wow, WA. Just Wow.

I'd be interested to see where it is mandatory to provide a free, or even pay-per, live feed for anyone's benefit. Is it a nice COURTESY? Of course. But should you expect it? Absolutely not.

For a NATIONAL event? Absolutely, in this day and age, YES, a live feed - whether PPV or not - is mandatory. Every other breed and discipline manages it at their "national" horse shows, and has done for quite some time now. Some charge, some don't. So I'm very glad to know they are offering it. However, I can tell you that once a show company or organization owns its own equipment, it only costs about $2k to do a week's worth of live feed (for a single cam setup; obv. the price goes up if you use more cameras, crew, etc.) - my experience was that if you charge a price viewers can live with, it's a nice little earner for a non-profit - which of course is all the more reason to do it!

I happen to know how hard the VOLUNTEERS on this show work to make it the premier event it is.

How on earth did you manage to project that I was dissing hard-working volunteers? :confused: Massive props to ALL of them, I say - especially since I myself volunteer at competitions for various disciplines on a fairly regular basis and know how hard and NOT FUN it can be. Please don't put words in my mouth. I respect volunteers absolutely.

Anyway, they're apparently doing it, so GREAT - THANK YOU - discussion ends.

MHM
Oct. 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
That being said, from what I see, there will be a livestream again in 2009...
http://www.syracuseinvitational.com/thesport/WatchtheEvent/tabid/901/Default.aspx

When I clicked on that link, it said to check back later for details.

Does anyone know if it will be free this year?

KnickerB
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:48 AM
However, I can tell you that once a show company or organization owns its own equipment, it only costs about $2k to do a week's worth of live feed (for a single cam setup; obv. the price goes up if you use more cameras, crew, etc.) - my experience was that if you charge a price viewers can live with, it's a nice little earner for a non-profit - which of course is all the more reason to do it!

Well...let's consider, single camera set up, needs a staff of two, one to handle the camera, one to monitor the livestream/put it up online and deal with tech support, which you definitely would need if you're charging people to watch. Two people can't be expected to work 7:30am to 11pm for five days straight though, so you need two shifts, bringing the total to 4 to staff a single camera set up...

With my math, for four people, hotel rooms alone for the duration of the show are going to add up to $2,000 pretty quick, before you even consider the salaries, travel and per diem for the crew, the equipment cost, bandwidth, whatever the facility charges on the set up (union house?), advertising, insurance...etc.

I don't think there's any horse show with a PPV livestream covering all their costs associated with having one solely through the PPV aspect, let alone racking in the $$$$ off it...

candl615
Oct. 22, 2009, 09:23 AM
thank you to everyone! its one of my favorite shows. it's going to be a lot of fun =]

Runinonjoy
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'm going to Saturday afternoon's ticketed competitions, and hopefully some of the non-ticketed events during the week, by myself. I'd also like to go to one other ticketed event (well, I'd love to go to ALL of them but my wallet doesn't think that's a great idea!), and my non-horsey husband has agreed to come along. So I'm soliciting opinions: Should we go Friday night for the corporate challenge and costumed gambler's choice, or Sunday for the three-phase animal planet cup? I've never been to either... I've always just gone Saturday. Suggestions?

MHM
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
I would think the costume class would be the most fun for a non- horse person. The tractor class is a hoot and a half, too, especially to anyone who's ever had to back up a tractor! :lol:

KnickerB
Oct. 23, 2009, 08:44 AM
Love the ride & drive on Saturday afternoon. The Animal Planet Cup on Sunday is really cool too. Definitely a different format than you see in any other class and I think it's easy for a non-horse person to follow the scoring and get into it.

danosaur
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:42 AM
so they definitely have a live feed? I have some maclay kids to watch.

SarahandSam
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
How's the shopping? If I have a new car by then, or can talk my husband into taking Friday off to see the more husband-friendly costume and tractor classes, I want to go... if there's good shopping though I may not want my husband around as a witness. d;

MHM
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:46 AM
There are usually quite a few shops set up in the building next to the show ring. It's adjacent to the huge schooling area, so you can shop and watch horses work at the same time, if you like.

I believe Hadfield Saddlery will be there, plus several other tack shops and boutiques.

BoysNightOut
Oct. 24, 2009, 12:14 PM
I'll be going to up Friday night to see the Gambler's Choice with my friend. I used to go to Cazenovia College, and always loved going to see the horse show back when I was in school. I can't wait to go again this year! :)

Amigo
Oct. 24, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'll be there showing in the maclay! I'm riding a liver chestnut mare if anyone's going to be there that I've known for about a week so wish me luck! And my mom will be video taping my round so if I make it around okay I'll post the link to it so people not there can see the course. :)

Brydelle Farm
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:12 PM
Myself, some clients and Anyplace Farm will be up there to watch!! We arrive Friday, definitely will be there all day Saturday!! So thrilled, can't wait to head up!!

Good luck to all the exhibitors!!

FYI - Free live webcast of Syracuse Sporthorse Invitational/126th NHS will be available at http://www.facebook.com/l/fe7c7;www.equestriansport.tv

CThorse
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:43 PM
it's not suppose to be too cold this year, thank goodness... Wasn't too fun taking the horses off the trailer in the snow, not to mention that the parking garage is a wind tunnel.

I'll be there supporting my best friends and taking lots of pictures and videos!

Nski32
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'm going to Saturday afternoon's ticketed competitions, and hopefully some of the non-ticketed events during the week, by myself. I'd also like to go to one other ticketed event (well, I'd love to go to ALL of them but my wallet doesn't think that's a great idea!), and my non-horsey husband has agreed to come along. So I'm soliciting opinions: Should we go Friday night for the corporate challenge and costumed gambler's choice, or Sunday for the three-phase animal planet cup? I've never been to either... I've always just gone Saturday. Suggestions?

Well, Sunday is the Animal Planet Cup Final, and there will be a special ceremony where Judgement, Beezie's horse will be retired. It should be special, if that peaks your interest.

Just an FYI for everyone...Beezie will not be riding this year due to her having shoulder surgery. She will be included in Judgements retirement and other aspects of the show---also will still do autograph sessions.

MHM
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:42 AM
Weather forecast for Syracuse- highs in the 50's Wednesday and Thursday, then 60's Friday and Saturday, back to the 50's on Sunday. :)

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
Well, Sunday is the Animal Planet Cup Final, and there will be a special ceremony where Judgement, Beezie's horse will be retired. It should be special, if that peaks your interest.

Just an FYI for everyone...Beezie will not be riding this year due to her having shoulder surgery. She will be included in Judgements retirement and other aspects of the show---also will still do autograph sessions.

I didn't realize his retirement was set for the Animal Planet Cup. I guess that make sense considering his history there and that Syracuse is the madden's baby. I'm kind of bummed though. I've always loved Judgement and if the live feed is like last year we won't get to watch it due to copyright by animal planet. I hope they post it online since I don't get animal planet on my cable network.

Nski32
Oct. 27, 2009, 06:26 PM
Well once again George has cancelled his scheduled clinic tomorrow night. It says he is "ill". Anne Kursinski will be taking his place.

Second strike for me trying to see a George clinic!!

MHM
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well once again George has cancelled his scheduled clinic tomorrow night. It says he is "ill". Anne Kursinski will be taking his place.

Second strike for me trying to see a George clinic!!

On the one hand, I'm sorry to hear that.

On the other hand, it simplifies my life, since I was torn between seeing the clinic and getting home in time to watch the World Series! :lol:

I'm sure Anne will do a good job, and I hope George feels better soon!

LuvMyDressageQH
Oct. 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
No Beezie and no GM? Boo... I was looking forward to seeing both of them!

Anyway, if anyone is looking for some non-horsey culture, has a non-horsey SO, loves art, or has some free time before or after the show, I have to recommend heading just across the street to the Everson Museum of Art. It's that funky looking concrete building (the first museum designed by I.M. Pei) surrounded by sculptures. There is a fantastic show, Turner to Cezanne, of mainly French Impressionist works from the National Museum Wales, as well as an internationally renowned ceramics collection. To keep it horse related :D, there is this Frederic Remington bronze statue (http://everson.org/exhibitions/permanent/remington.php) in the collection and out on display right now. We also have a giant ceramic horse in the main sculpture court, just behind the visitor services desk :)

The Everson and the Syracuse Invitational have teamed up to host the I Love NY Horses Art Show (http://www.syracuseinvitational.com/theevent/ArtShow/tabid/1521/Default.aspx) and both venues are also offering discounts on tickets - show your ticket stub from the show for a discounted admission to the Turner to Cezanne exhibition, and vice versa. Check out www.everson.org for more info, and come visit! I will be there working all day Saturday.

SarahandSam
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:13 PM
Gah! I was all ready to drive out to Syracuse tomorrow night with a friend to see George... love Anne too, but GM's older and I worry about missing opportunities more when it comes to him... Probably that dratted swine flu again... didn't think it could affect the Holy Father of hunter seat equitation!

MHM
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm at the show. If you come today, bring an umbrella to get from your car to the building. It's really raining out there!

EQTV
Oct. 28, 2009, 09:07 AM

I vote fail.

There is video feed, FREE and LIVE!!
If you go to:

www.EquestrianSport.tv there is a link to Syracuse's live webcast!

Thanks,

Jessica
www.EquestrianSport.tv