PDA

View Full Version : Bowed Rails up or down?

Lessonlady
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:39 AM
I always thought that when a rail had a bow in it, you always put the bow down so the jump had a dip in it. But I recently went to a show where the person in charge of the course insisted that the bow should be up! Which is correct and why?

lauriep
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
Down. They can roll off too easily if rubbed if you leave them up. A bow can also make the jump higher than the specs for a class state. And, if it is the front rail of a square oxer, can give the effect of an offset.

VirginiaBred
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:44 AM
We put them up, or semi up so they'll even out.

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:44 AM
At home we always roll them up, never down. I don't think I've seen a non-intentional bow in a rail at a show before so not sure what the course designer would do with that (I would hope they would use that rail as a filler and put a level rail on top).

cocopuff
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
At a recent George Morris clinic there was a top rail with a bow on one of the jumps. He said the bow should be down if its a top rail, otherwise use it for a filler pole.

ExJumper
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
Down. And if it accidentally get sets facing up, the manager will run out and fix it after the jump crew re-sets it.

mrsbradbury
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
I agree with down while in use.

I can see the theory behind turning it up so it will even out, but I think it will take a while.:winkgrin:

GrayCatFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
Down because the horse has lateral vision, he will judge the jump height by what he sees to the side. If the bow is up in the middle, there is a risk that he'll take the rail down (specially if he jumps with a splinterbelly style)

CBoylen
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:52 PM
If you see a bow that is up in the show ring, ask the gate person to have the crew roll the bow. You don't want to be the one that has a rail down because of it.

Rhody Ram
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:39 PM
Bow always goes down. If you notice one the jump crew hasn't caught, definitely notify the gate keeper.

I am a little nervous about the jump crew person who told you the bow should go up!

Lord Helpus
Oct. 18, 2009, 03:21 PM
The bow goes down. The holes in the standards are drilled to account for cups of a certain depth and rails of a certain thickness.

If you roll the bow up you could be setting the jump higher than the specs.

Plus, it will roll out of the cups more easily since it is not balanced.

Plus, at a show, it is not in one position long enough to care about "straightening the bow out". And at home, if you leave your jumps in one place long enough and if a top rail stays in one place long enough to actually reshape a rail(!) then your rails are pretty darn thin or else you only change your course once every several decades. :eek: :lol:

Actually, I have never heard of anything but "down" and I was surprised that there was even a differnece of opinion!

bhrunner06
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:06 PM
always down at shows...at home i will leave them up to get a rub with the horses that tend to be not so careful!

Wizard of Oz's
Oct. 18, 2009, 05:00 PM
definately rolled down. I understand the rolling it up to even it out, but that can be done when a show isn't going on and the jump isn't in use.