PDA

View Full Version : MD/VA Horse Retirement

Quack
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for horse retirement facilities in the Maryland and Virginia areas. I've tried searching the forums for old topics but none really touched on these areas specifically. I know quality horse retirement farms are best found by way of recommendations so I'd love to hear some happy retired horse stories please!

A little background: I have a 14 year old horse who suffered a career ending injury a few years ago. Since then he has been at a barn at regular board. Luckily, he is a horse who prefers to be outside, can live on air, and gets along with other horses really well. He's as easy a keeper as any and has made it very clear that he does not wish to be ridden anymore. He is happy living a life of luxury and just hanging out.

I'm looking for more of a field board situation for my horse. I'd prefer a plan with things like worming and trimming included (horse doesn't need shoes or anything) with just one flat rate. I'd like him to stay in MD/VA so he can be in driving distance. Other than that, I'd just like him to be happy in a place he can eat as much grass as his little heart desires under a trustworthy and watchful eye.

thanks for any suggestions!

ETA: through my own research, I've found Throwleigh Farm (Boyce, VA), and Ridge Farm (Painter, VA). Anyone have any experience with these two facilities? Let me know good or bad! PMs welcome :)

Philliab
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:35 AM
Though I do not have a horse at Ridge Farm (Painter, VA), I can tell you that the farm is beautiful and top-notch, and the horses look like they are in excellent shape. I drive by the farm frequently, and it is a peaceful place that looks like horse heaven. If I ever have to retire one of mine and for some reason can not keep them at home, I would absolutely send them there.

tucktaway
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:38 AM
Rigbie farm in Maryland. They have a website.

Heineken
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:42 AM
You have a PM (private message)

bosox
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
is in southern maryland.

Not fancy but horses are well cared for and loved! Beth (owner) actually is active with Canter Mid-Atlantic and one other rescue for TBs.

regular farrier/vet care. owner on property.

http://www.travellersfarm.com/

i think Fairweather from the eventing forum has her boy there. My kids help feed there during the week.

SidesaddleRider
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have my retiree at Blue Ridge Farm in Upperville, VA. The total farm is 500+ acres. The retirees are in a 75 acre field with a ginormous run-in shed, pond, and never-freeze waterer. They get grain once/day, hay rounds in the winter, wormed, trimmed, and their teeth done 1x/yr, and I'm just told what the cost is to add to the next board bill. The manager is a vet tech, the care is EXCELLENT, and the cost is very reasonable. There no skinny horses there unless they just arrived. ;)

I can send you the manager's name & email if you'd like it.

EasternMkt
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
The barn I board at in the Round Hill/Philomont area does retirees and the care is excellent. They grain 2x a day, hay as needed (generally just in the winter as pasture is plentiful and well maintained), good shelters, blanketing in the winter as required, and a regular worming, trimming, teeth, and vaccs schedule, w/ charges for the latter added to the following month's board bill. Full up at the moment, but I believe one boarder is planning to move out of the area over the winter.

ShadesOfBay
Oct. 25, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just bumping this again, because I am in the same situation, just started thinking about finding a nice retirement home for our little paint mare - easy keeper, just needs tons of joint maintenance to stay sound for riding and I would like her to have an easier life.

We live close to Fredericksburg, VA so anything within an hour's drive would be great... It's tough to think of 'handing over' a horse that has tried so hard for us, so it would have to be a place that pays attention to feed & health, where I could go check on her easily. She's our little princess. :sadsmile:

Have seen listings for Idylwood Farm & Hever Farm - anyone familiar?