PDA

View Full Version : Flipping over water bucket at shows - HELP!

Vandy
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:42 PM
Nice young warmblood will be traveling to a bunch of shows with us this year. At our barn he lives in a stall with an auto waterer and attached run, and is not at all destructive at home.

Anyway, took him to his first show, and he made a game of dumping his water bucket over and over again. No problem, I've had one of those before, we filled a muck-bucket with water...and he quickly figured out how to knock that over repeatedly. Same thing with one of the soft sided muck-type buckets. I tried hanging a toy in his show stall but that didn't help at all. The circuits we travel to do not offer paddocks, just stalls. What a pain - he was getting filthy all the time, wet stall, tons of shavings, totally ridiculous. I've seen people use tall garbage cans for water, but I have a feeling this horse is big, strong, and determined enough to knock one of those over too, and that would be an even bigger mess...

Any such thing as a portable auto-waterer type deal? Any ideas of anything else we could try?

ambar
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:46 PM
Offer him all he'll drink 3x/day and don't leave it in his stall?

Seven-up
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:53 PM
Not sure what the stall wall surface is like, but if it's something like wooden boards, you can take a piece of hay string and tie it around the bucket and then tie that to the wall.

It works pretty much like one of those bucket rings, http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_equine_supplies-ft1_horse_feeding;pg107524.html but with string. Works well in a show situation because you don't have to nail or hang anything, and when you're done you just cut it down.

ETA: it really only works if the boards have spaces between them, unlike the wall shown in the picture. Otherwise you'd have to add screw eyes and that's a pain.

Vandy
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:03 AM
Otherwise you'd have to add screw eyes and that's a pain.Not as much of a pain as repeated bathing of horse, removal of wet shavings, and cost of said shavings, believe me!!! :lol: I'll definitely try something like this if I don't find another solution, thanks!

Seven-up
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
True. It's not hard to put in and remove screw eyes, it's just annoying.

We used to do a screw eye on each side of the bucket, about halfway down, and stretch a bungee cord across to hold the bucket to the wall of the bucket flippers in the stalls at home. At shows, we did the hay string.

I've also done milk crates. Imagine hanging a bucket as usual, and then attach a milk crate to the wall so the bucket is encased in the crate. Figure out where the crate would have to be on the wall, attach it, then add bucket. Again, not the easiest solution for temporary show stalls, but it's just another idea.

Plumcreek
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:46 AM
Vandy, can you cobble this up some way as a base plus a hanging snap ?

http://www.horse.com/Portable-Bucket-Holder-BSM10.html?scode=hfroogle&mr:trackingCode=6969A06B-E581-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Vandy
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:15 AM
Plumcreek, I do like the design of the holder you suggested, but when I clicked on your link, all I could envision was this horse flipping that holder over and then gouging his eyes out on the ends :lol: It's funny because this horse is all business in the ring and very neat and tidy in his stall at home...he just doesn't like the 10x10s at the shows I guess!

Some great ideas, thank you - I now have a bunch of things I can assemble to try for him next week :D

Peggy
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:23 AM
Put something large and dense it it. Like several bricks or a really large rock. I had this problem with Star when he was younger and he'll still do it on occasion. The other thing that helps is to push the muck/water bucket as far as possible into the corner with no shavings under it and then bank the shavings around it.

Of course, at his first show he discovered the nice faucet outside his stall once we made it harder to tip the bucket over. He kept turning it on and eventually figured out how to time it to soak passersby. I solved that by removing the handle from the faucet. It was a very wet first show.

_downpour_
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:30 AM
Get an old tyre, and set the bucket in that. Makes it harder for them to tip over.

Plumcreek
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:13 AM
Plumcreek, I do like the design of the holder you suggested, but when I clicked on your link, all I could envision was this horse flipping that holder over and then gouging his eyes out on the ends :lol:
:D

I agree, that is why I mentioned cobbling - you would have to tie or wire it securely down somehow.

My Skys Blue Boy gelding also hates show stalls.. Actually starts weaving after a couple of days. I tried a lickit apple, but he is not interested.

Go Fish
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:46 AM
Go buy some of those cheap 5-gallon buckets and nail that sucker to the wall.

mandalea
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:13 AM
Do you have these over there ?

We use them here in Australia as feed buckets for stabled horses.

Maybe use some bailing twine to make sure he cant flick it off the door or something ?

http://www.shoof.co.nz/nz/nzcatalogue/page_85.pdf

skrgirl
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:06 AM
Not as much of a pain as repeated bathing of horse, removal of wet shavings, and cost of said shavings, believe me!!! :lol: I'll definitely try something like this if I don't find another solution, thanks!

Be sure to ask if its ok first before you put screw eyes in someone elses stalls. Screw eyes leave pretty big holes in the wall.

trubandloki
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
Be sure to ask if its ok first before you put screw eyes in someone elses stalls. Screw eyes leave pretty big holes in the wall.

I do not disagree with making sure it is OK. But screw eyes come in all kinds of sizes. No need to use the huge size that leaves a big hole.

M. O'Connor
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
Nice young warmblood will be traveling to a bunch of shows with us this year. At our barn he lives in a stall with an auto waterer and attached run, and is not at all destructive at home.

Anyway, took him to his first show, and he made a game of dumping his water bucket over and over again. No problem, I've had one of those before, we filled a muck-bucket with water...and he quickly figured out how to knock that over repeatedly. Same thing with one of the soft sided muck-type buckets. I tried hanging a toy in his show stall but that didn't help at all. The circuits we travel to do not offer paddocks, just stalls. What a pain - he was getting filthy all the time, wet stall, tons of shavings, totally ridiculous. I've seen people use tall garbage cans for water, but I have a feeling this horse is big, strong, and determined enough to knock one of those over too, and that would be an even bigger mess...

Any such thing as a portable auto-waterer type deal? Any ideas of anything else we could try?

Spend a little time with some plywood, pieces of 2X4, and a screw gun. Make a portable backboard to hang the buckets from, that goes with this horse to the shows, complete with screw eyes, and bolted-on D-rings for strapping a bungee or two across the front of the buckets to secure them; you can secure the plywood to the stall front in a variety of ways, depending on what type of stall construction you are up against. You can make it any size that it needs to be, and it won't take up much room on the trailer, since it is flat.

sandstar
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:32 PM
My horse does the same thing...I hang her bucket outside the stall just next to the door. She can reach it to drink, but cant play with it. I do give her a hanging toy (milk jug with pebbles in it) to play with :)

Star Creek
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:46 PM
My suggestion could go either way...great or even worse ! I use the heavy plastic full size garbage cans for my water in stalls. I fill them all the way up and my mare never messes with them. Their too heavy to flip over when kept full and I'm sure she stays well hydrated.

If he is crafty though I could see how you might end up with pond where stall once was :winkgrin:

Seven-up
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:26 PM
Spend a little time with some plywood, pieces of 2X4, and a screw gun. Make a portable backboard to hang the buckets from, that goes with this horse to the shows, complete with screw eyes, and bolted-on D-rings for strapping a bungee or two across the front of the buckets to secure them; you can secure the plywood to the stall front in a variety of ways, depending on what type of stall construction you are up against. You can make it any size that it needs to be, and it won't take up much room on the trailer, since it is flat.

Now this is smart!

mandalea
Nov. 9, 2009, 03:31 AM
bump ?

LaurieS
Nov. 10, 2009, 04:29 AM
Have you tried snapping his buckets together? A double-end snap stopped the bucket flipper I looked after.