PDA

View Full Version : What's cool in Ohio next weekend?

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
I am going to the Canton/Dayton area for a wedding next Saturday (Oct 24). We are leaving VA late Thursday night and spending all of Friday in Columbus and possibly back in Columbus all of Sunday or or going to Cincinnati on Sunday.

Is there cool horsey event going on this weekend that would be worth checking out or any really good tack shops? I might be moving to either Columbus or Cinci (aka wherever I get a job I'm going haha) so I would love to check out some tack shops/shows whatever before I move in either December or January

PS ... If we are in Columbus on Sunday, it means we had to change our plans and miss the Bengals game.. so if anyone knows a sports bar in Columbus where we can watch the game.... it would be a great bonus ;)

eab
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:50 AM
from the AQHA website "The All American Quarter Horse Congress offers approximately 250 commercial exhibit spaces in a seven-acre indoor equine shopping experience, with additional outside space as well. Commercial exhibitors offer everything from western wear, English wear, tack, towing vehicles and trailers to equine related art, jewelry, furniture and much more!

The 2009 Congress commercial exhibit areas will be open daily 9:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. beginning Thursday, October 8. The trade show will end at 4:00 p.m. on the last day of the Congress, Sunday, October 25."

It is in Columbus and $25/car to get in...but if you have never been, it is a MUST SEE!!

www.oqha.com for more info & schedule

Plumcreek
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:24 AM
The $25. admission is per vehicle, no matter how many people.This show is at the Ohio State Fairgrounds and is beyond huge. You may have to park north of 17th street and take a shuttle into the show grounds. Come prepared to walk all day.

Here is the schedule for Friday, but you probably will not get through the trade show to see the horse show. Congress is a MUST SEE. Also, extra good sale deals on stuff the last weekend.
http://www.oqha.com/congress/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=108
I believe the Masters classes in the evening are ticketed and may be sold out.

General info: http://www.oqha.com/congress/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

eab
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:54 AM
ooops,my bad - that IS the wrong web site...sorry. Sometimes you get better deals on the last Sunday, BUT a lot of people are packing up too. PM me if you are going to go the sports bar route - I can hook you up!!! Also if you are going to move here, I grew up here & know the area well - would be happy to help you out. Can I have your Bengals tix if you skip it??? ha ha!! ;)

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks ya'll! I didn't realize congress was still going on!

eab- unfortunately, we don't have the tix yet... My dad and I really want to go but it looks like some family health issues are going to keep us from buying any tickets. Oh well... just means I get to spend more time in Columbus. I will probably take you up on getting some info regarding the area! Obviously it is more important to know where the good barns in the area are over anything else ;)

McVillesMom
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
You can also visit Equus Now, which is just a few minutes north of Columbus' I-270 loop...I think they also have a book of local barns :)

jn4jenny
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:26 AM
This is a slight hijack, but is it possible to walk onto the grounds of AQHA Congress on foot? In other words, if I take the bus instead of a car, can I get into Congress without paying the punitive $25 fee?

tle
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, definitely hit QH Congress.

If you miss the game on Sunday and are in columbus and want to watch, you might try the area around Nationwide Arena. There are several sports bar type places near there.

speaking of Nationwide Arena, the Blue Jackets host the Kings on Saturday night.

The columbus zoo if it's still open for the season is really nice.

Oh, and you know that Canton and Dayton (per the OP) aren't anywhere near each other, right? Canton is NE Ohio... Dayton is more like SW. :)

As for walking onto the fairgrounds... Yeah... you might get away with that. They collect the $25 fee from toll booths as you drive into the parking area. They closed 17th street where it runs between the parking area (closer to the Crew stadium) and the fairgrounds. I'm not sure if they'd be able to tell the difference between someone walking in from say the parking area and someone JUST walking in.

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:54 AM
Oh my bad haha.. Apparently that geo. class I took last semester did me no good! haha.. Well we are going to the Canton area. I have only ever been to Cinci so I will blame my geographic stupidity on that ;) ha

Equus Now sounds like a great option to check out too.. thanks! I'm guessing that you all enjoy living in Columbus? ha.. from the threads I've read on here and the online research I've done it looks like there is a good horsey scene there... at lease much better than NYC which was another possible move I was considering!!!

jn4jenny
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:04 AM
dancingequestrian, I just moved from Michigan to Columbus and I LOVE it here. I've promoted Columbus to my second-favorite city to live in behind Washington DC (and the traffic here is much less too).

The eventing scene here is almost non-existent. I managed, with the help of a COTH'er, to find a good eventing trainer but she's pretty much the only one.

The hunter/jumper scene here is very active. Dressage is moderately active too, but it's really an H/J kinda town.

Fair warning: Cost of living for HUMANS in Columbus is surprisingly low, but cost of HORSE living here is not. My horse's boarding cost is only $100 less than my mortgage, but that's because my mortgage is so ridiculously small. In reality I think the horse boarding costs here are in line with other metro areas, and the low human cost of living makes the horse costs "look" higher only by comparison.

Cincinnati is supposed to be a lovely city too. I have never been there.

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks jn4jenny... My horse is being leased by a barn here in VA so she will not be coming with me. Eventually I will get a horse and brave the boarding costs but for now, my I-just-graduated-college-and-am-as-broke-as-a-joke budget will not allow me to buy anything ;)

Sparky
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:27 AM
This is a slight hijack, but is it possible to walk onto the grounds of AQHA Congress on foot? In other words, if I take the bus instead of a car, can I get into Congress without paying the punitive $25 fee?

The $25 is a parking fee, so it's just for vehicles--spectators who walk in don't have to pay anything. Word of caution though: don't try to park at the McDonalds or the hotels on the grounds--you will get towed I guarantee it!

chawley
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
The $25 is a parking fee, so it's just for vehicles--spectators who walk in don't have to pay anything. Word of caution though: don't try to park at the McDonalds or the hotels on the grounds--you will get towed I guarantee it!

Yes, and be careful if you elect to park behind the fairgrounds in any of those neighboring streets - lots of break ins, etc.

If you have multiple people going to split the parking cost with, I recommending parking on the fairgrounds. That way if you purchase things, you can take them to your car. We also like to pack a cooler in the car, as beverages and food are very pricey.

Closing weekend is good time to find good deals on stuff too. Enjoy!

P.S. Columbus is a GREAT city! Enjoy your visit and Go Bucks!

jn4jenny
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, and be careful if you elect to park behind the fairgrounds in any of those neighboring streets - lots of break ins, etc.

I wasn't planning to park there. I agree that it's a sketchy neighborhood on that side. I have an OSU parking pass, so I was going to take the OSU CABS East Residential bus (drops off less than a block from the convention center). The bus is free and comes every 10 minutes.