PDA

View Full Version : New England Finals - Junior results posted - thanks to Justathought

juststartingout
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
ANyone have the results for the Adult - I think Middles and Olders that went today

juststartingout
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:58 PM
BTW I heard that Wendy Wood won... but that is all I have heard

katie16
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:48 PM
BTW I heard that Wendy Wood won... but that is all I have heard

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm or deny any New England results. However I believe that Wendy Wood won the Mass Finals a couple weeks back. She must be totally thrilled if she won NEHC too!

heartinrye
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:09 PM
Wendy won, Ellie Knight won the middles.

juststartingout
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks - congratulations to both winners!

justathought
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
any news from today?

Rhody Ram
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:51 PM
4- Devon Poeta
5- Remy Lee
6-
7- Brittany Johnson
8- Tracy Mack
9- Elysse Ruschmeyer
10-

Eileen McNamara may have been 10th, she was in the top 10

giddybiddy
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
It was a fun, challenging course today! The open eq was pretty straightforward, minus a tight-ish turn to the second jump. Most people rode it very nicely. For some reason, people were dropping rails left and right in the seemingly simple 3-stride line.

The medal course was a bit more difficult, with a random jump at the end that tripped up some horses because they thought they were done. Lots of people were knocking down rails in the 1-stride.

Both courses called for a very forward ride, and if you were under the pace, you'd get caught up. But it was really fun to ride!!!

<3Horses908
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:06 AM
Anyone know where we can find results? I'm interested in the horsemanship and junior medal that goes tomorrow...i think..

Sheila
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:37 AM
After the first round, the judges called back the top 25. Less than a point separated the top 2 riders. The second round included some bending forward lines that required riders to carry a pace and not get caught inthe corners. (especially the last line which was a skinny "stile" type fence bending forward 5 to a swedish oxer). After the second round, less than a point again separated Kelsey and Johanna. Then it was a drop of 6 or 7 points to the 3rd and 4th place riders. They hadn't tested the older and middle adults the day before so we weren't sure if they were testing. For the test of the top 2, the test included- counter canter fence 1, a trot jump, roll back on a jump, then hand gallop an oxer at the far end of the ring before cantering the in and out then halt, sitting trot to the gate, and walk out of the ring. Johanna went first and looked beautiful. Fence 1 to counter canter was a wide oxer rolling back toward the in gate. She chose to approach going left and lost the counter canter. Kelsey chose the right handed approach, had more impulsion for the first fence, and really galloped the hand gallop fence. Both girls did a beautiful job and should be very proud of themselves. The top 10 were really outstanding.

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone have full results from the middles and olders?

giddybiddy
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
How are the juniors coming along?

Junior Jumper
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:58 PM
Curious about the juniors too?

supershorty628
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:01 PM
MA team 1 won the Challenge of the States, with NY in 2nd... that's all I know. I also know that Emma Johnson won a section of the 15-17 eq.

Sorry, not much help, but better than nothing, right?

CThorse
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
Sydney Smith won the Individual and was on the winning team for states

<3Horses908
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:18 PM
MA team 1 won the Challenge of the States, with NY in 2nd... that's all I know. I also know that Emma Johnson won a section of the 15-17 eq.

Sorry, not much help, but better than nothing, right?

Hi, I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I've always been curious as to what the Challenge of the States exactly is. Jumpers? Do you mind explaining? Thanks!

hj0519
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hi, I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I've always been curious as to what the Challenge of the States exactly is. Jumpers? Do you mind explaining? Thanks!

It's equitation. On Saturday, there are open equitation classes and they take the riders with the top scores from each state to join their state's team for the Challenge of the States, held after all the open eq classes. I can't remember how many riders they take per team..it's been a while since I last went, but it's something like 4 riders and then 2 other riders "coaching". Riders walk the course themselves and warm themselves up with no help from people outside their team. And then they go in and all jump an equitation round and get scored, and the team with the most points wins.

<3Horses908
Oct. 18, 2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone know whats been going on lately today?

slavegirl
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:40 PM
Elv21, How did you do? Who are the big winners?

supershorty628
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:09 PM
Congratulations to Samantha Smith! She won the junior medal final. Kelsey Hart was 2nd.

That's all I know...

justathought
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:04 PM
Junior Results

1. Samantha Smith
2. Kelsey Hart
3. Devon Wood
4. Carolyn Lichtenberg
5. Samantha Elser
6. Lizzie Kenny
7. Kelly Tropin
8. Andrea Robbins
9. Lean Chenelle
10. Alexa Bayko

Also:

Horsemanship Class
1. Larissa Laffey
2. Emma Johnson

Congrats to All!

Hunter/JumperMom
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:58 AM
Is there a way to find out where everyone in the call back placed. Daughter made the callback, but def dropped low because she gambled and it didn't pay off!! but now she is curious where she ended up!! Would it be posted anywhere, or can you contact someone? thanks

justathought
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
Is there a way to find out where everyone in the call back placed. Daughter made the callback, but def dropped low because she gambled and it didn't pay off!! but now she is curious where she ended up!! Would it be posted anywhere, or can you contact someone? thanks

You have a PM

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
Where was NEEC held this year? I heard it wasn't at Eastern States anymore?

hj0519
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
Where was NEEC held this year? I heard it wasn't at Eastern States anymore?

No, it's still at the Big E.

Stacey33
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
Where were the apples this year??

EqRider210
Oct. 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
The junior results posted by justathought are right.

The horsemanship results were:
1st - Larissa Laffey (Who was also the junior sportsmanship winner)
2nd - Emma Johnson
3rd - Rachel Crown
4th - Lizzie Kenny
5th - Maggie McManus
6th - Kelly Lively
7th - Natalie Crane
8th - Alex Carlton

Challenge of the States:
Gold - MA Team 2 (Rachel Crown, Sydney Smith, Kelly Lively, and Isabelle Smith; Chef d'equipes: Tess McMahon and Corinne Milbury) *Note: Larissa Laffey was supposed to be a chef but she couldn't do it because of NCAA rules...
Silver - NY
Bronze - MA Team 4

Go Massachusetts!! :)

And the apples were in the vendor area at the far end of the ring where the silent auction was being held. They were sold out by 1pm or so on Sunday, though :(

danosaur
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:11 PM
I'd like to add that larissa's total horsemanship score was the highest they've ever had. I'm so glad larissa got it, she's such a nice girl.

Hunter/JumperMom
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:00 PM
Where were the apples this year??

So with all the talk of these apples on this board I dropped the 10.00 on one!! WOW, they were amazing! I had the carmel and peanut butter! YUM, I shared mine with a few of the people I was with, and truly wished I had kept it to myself!!! :D

katie16
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
*Note: Larissa Laffey was supposed to be a chef but she couldn't do it because of NCAA rules...:(

Simply to further my knowledge for the future . . .

What is it about being chef that NCAA will not allow?

katie16
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:32 PM
The horsemanship results were:
1st - Larissa Laffey (Who was also the junior sportsmanship winner)

Congratulations to her on both awards. If I am not mistaken, she was recognized at Mass Finals with the Sportsmanship Award as well.

Ghazzu
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:22 PM
Simply to further my knowledge for the future . . .

What is it about being chef that NCAA will not allow?

I would guess participating in any kind of team competition in your sport other than your collegiate team.

giddybiddy
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'd like to add that larissa's total horsemanship score was the highest they've ever had. I'm so glad larissa got it, she's such a nice girl.

Go Larissa!! That's awesome!

elizuhowell
Oct. 20, 2009, 05:17 AM
Larissa was a star this weekend, here's my recap of her receiving the horsemanship award:

We arrived home Sunday night around 9:00 PM after watching Samantha Smith of Wakefield, RI, win the 2009 New England Medal. The final riders were all outstanding–including Devon Wood of Dover, NH; Kelsey Hart of East Greenbush, NY; and Carolyn Lichtenberg of Pelham Manor, NY.

The highlight for me was the presentation of the Katie Battison Memorial Horsemanship Award.

According to the NEEC committee, “This award is intended to identify from among our many competitors the ‘all-around horseperson’ who can do it all. A young horseperson who not only rides well, but understands the great importance of quality horse care.”

The competition for this award consists of three phases. First, there is a written test with 100 questions that is taken on Friday evening. There is a “hands-on” practicum in the stable area administered by two veterinarians intended to assess a horse person’s knowledge of equine care, confirmation and health. The third component is the rider’s first round score in the New England Medal Finals.

The reason I was at the NEEC was to watch Larissa Laffey compete in her last event as a junior rider. Larissa is the daughter of the woman who taught me how to ride, Olana Laffey owner of Evenstride.

Larissa has been a finalist for this award for the past several years. This year, the competition was stiff. Emma Johnson was back, having won the award twice–in 2007 and 2008. That had never been done before. Many thought she would have a three-peat.

Karen Clark, who administers the written and practicum parts of the test, keeps the results secret, so no one knows anything until the results are announced.

They called the final eight into the ring. Joe Dotoli announced the results and said a few words about each competitor. The delay, um, I mean suspense was killing me. As a member of the NEEC committee, Olana was in the ring participating in the proceedings. She had no idea what the results were either, and I know she was ready to pull her hair out of her head. Joe pulled out all the stops when it was down to Larissa and Emma, making both young ladies (and the rest of us) practically beg for him to just S-P-I-T I-T O-U-T!!!!! Finally, he announced Emma as the second place finisher. I screamed. It was out of my mouth before I knew I had done it. (No offense Emma!)

The tears flowed and I could not have been happier for Larissa and Olana. It was quite a moment! As I have watched Larissa grow up, I can attest that she lives and breathes the values that this award represents. She is an inspirational role model for every little girl who dreams of horses. I’ll stop gushing now. Ok. Really. Pass the tissues.

Larissa is now a freshman at Kansas State University, a chemical engineering student.

Larissa capped off the whirlwind weekend by also receiving the Junior Sportsmanship Award.

It was a great weekend! Congratulations to all of the NEEC committee members and volunteers for putting on such a fabulous event!

Elizabeth
She Rides, I Pay
www.SheRidesIpay.com

EqRider210
Oct. 20, 2009, 08:17 PM
I would guess participating in any kind of team competition in your sport other than your collegiate team.

Yeah, NCAA rules prohibit kids from taking part in any other team event, such as the Harrisburg junior jumper prix de states and the NE Finals challenge of the states. Sad, but true. Since challenge of the states is something everyone wants to be a part of because it is SO much fun, this must have been disappointing, but I know Larissa was cheering on MA team 2 from the stands and was very happy that "her" team won!

Everybody, myself included, was really happy for Larissa to win the horsemanship and sportsmanship awards. She's so nice and was so excited to receive these honors - she deserved them!

Julie523
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:52 PM
Does anyone have results of any of the open classes from Saturday?