PDA

View Full Version : Grey horse, 40 degrees, horse show help!

enjoytheride
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:09 PM
I am taking my grey/mostly white horse to a show in a week. She gets all day turnout in a mostly muddy field and is not clipped. She likes to sleep in her pee.

My best idea is to put a sheet on her all next week outside and in and brush like crazy. Any other ideas?

Plumcreek
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:12 PM
Damp hot towels, Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover (do they still make that?)

LudgerFan
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:13 PM
Rubbing alcohol works better than anything else for removing stains from a hairy, pee- or poop-stained horse. AND it's super cheap!!! :D

Just put it in a spray bottle and spray away! Completely spray (till soaking) each spot, then rub with a towel. Voila! No spots!

As an aside: I always have rubbing alcohol on hand (I love the wintergreen stuff!) not just for stains but for during the super hot, humid summer months. Since it evaporates more readily than water, a few spritzes on the jugular vein of the neck and the chest really pulls out the heat and speeds the cooling out process. I usually spray my own neck at the same time. :)

findeight
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:28 PM
If you have an enclosed area, you can bathe them-long as they are out of the wind and you make sure they are dry before you put them away and out of any wind. They stand out in the rain at 40f.

I would suggest you jump on any opportunity to really give her a good bath in the next few days when it warms up a bit and is sunny. There is NO way you can get stains off a grey at the last minute and it takes a few times. Once you get it started with the real good bath, you can spot clean as needed.

But you will need to get that whole body done here first.

Not so fond memory of my first Hunter at 26f and 5am...that alchohol is colder then the water. Ended up using hot water from the bathroom in a bucket and a towel..but you can't get the whole horse that way. Weather forecast is a warm up next week so keep an eye on it and bring alot of towels.

mypaintwattie
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:38 PM
Love Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover!!! Give her a bath if you can- otherwise clean, clean, clean and keep her covered!

enjoytheride
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:43 PM
She's a sissy about being wet and cold and shivered when it was in the 60s and raining and I bathed her before a show. I shall pray for warm weather.

It's a local $10 a class schooling show but I'd like to be halfway presentable.

findeight
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
Supposed to go up around 60 by the middle of next week in our area...unless you are up by the lake.

ctab
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:57 PM
http://www.netequestrian.com/products/product.asp?pId=1514&cId=98&scId=251&cgId=2
Follow the link to this great natural spray. My client uses it on her paint to make him go from green and bay to white and bay. Smells nice. Works FAST even on his winter hair. Curry & brush horse then spray and rub in with towel/rag. Leave it in while you pick hooves and tail. Wipe off. Even removes Blue Coat in a few days and that stuff is like permanent marker. I leave it in while I ride him then he comes out sparkling clean when I rub him down post ride.

Oct. 15, 2009, 06:05 PM
Clean her up as thoroughly as you can, as often as you can, from now until the show.

Any dirt that's left on her coat is likely to stain, and that can be a real PITA to get out once it's set in. An ounce of prevention, and all that!

Horseymama
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
I use that powder called "Monkey Butt" powder to cover up any green stains I can't remove completely. Especially if your horse is mostly white, it works wonders. It stays on forever, too!

SkipChange
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
Some serious currying can help considerably.

Cowboy Magic Spot remover is excellent as is rubbing alcohol.

We had a Pony Club games team that went to nationals with 4 greys (everyone had an almost entirely white coat). We would have died without a good curry comb and several bottles of Cowboy Magic spot remover. I was the only one on the team with a non-white horse (lucky me!) but mine did have a flaxen mane & tail that was a stain hazard :D

hijumpin1
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:01 PM
Give her a bath in quicksilver next week. It's supposed to be 60 after Monday.

enjoytheride
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
Praise the lord, I'll wash her every day next week if it stays 60! I own stock in quicksilver.

dogchushu
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:27 PM
The next warm day you have, give her a good scrubbing and put a sheet on her. That will give you a good base clean.

The spot cleaning methods mentioned here do a good job (as does regular thorough grooming), but my horse can turn her entire body into one big spot (and it's rather funny when I spot clean her because the spots are white but the rest of her is yellow). Hopefully, the sheet will prevent you from having to clean more than the neck, legs, belly, and tail. In that case, throw a cooler over her and just wash those dirty parts before the show. If you don't want to bathe her neck with the hose, use hot towels.

Worst case scenario: you still have to bathe her. Use a cooler and warm water. If your barn doesn't have hot water, you'll have to use bucket. Put the cooler over the front half of her while you clean the back end and vice versa. I always use a wool cooler for this since it won't soak up any water it encounters. You'll have to go quickly, which is why it's good to get the deep down scrubbing as soon as it's warm. And keep her under a cooler while she dries.

Any spots you really didn't get an opportunity to scrub that don't come out with the spot cleaner can be covered with baby powder or corn starch. I've had better luck with corn starch. It's stickier.

EasyDoesIt
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:49 PM
She sounds like she may be my old gelding's sister! All I can say...best of luck to you! :)

rockfordbuckeye
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:51 PM
I was always taught to rub corn starch into the stained areas that you can't wash out to disguise it. It does work well and is cheap and non-toxic to your horse. You would need to reapply between classes but it will do socks and small areas nicely. Try it before show to see what you think/how it lasts. I would worry that bathing in rubbing alcohol would be very dry and irritating to the skin of the horse and the rider applying it.

dab
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:07 PM
Lucky Braids Whitening Spray or WOW! work great on stains -- Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is similar, but I seem to need to use more of it to get results -- I keep my pinto covered and spray any stains on his knees, hocks, elbows, and tail daily -- He stays surprisingly white --

I love quicksilver and similar blueing shampoos to get him blindingly white, but have to be careful about drying his hair out with them -- It seems like his knees and hocks stain much more easily after being washed with those shampoos -- So, I avoid them entirely in the winter --

Neck covers and tail bags are some of my favorite things --

QHmom
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:36 PM
We have two pure white ponies. I use Orvis and quick silver together. Then I rinse her off, and let her tail and mane sit in purple for a few. After rinsing them completely off, I take a water bucket, fill it up, add 7 -10 drops of blueing. I take a sponge and sponge them off. I lleave the rinse on, sweta scrape and let them dry. Talk about fluffy white ponies!
I also keep tails bagged, sheets and slinkies on 24-7 in colder weather. We also have lights on timers to keep hair down so I dont have to clip.

Flash44
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:08 AM
And spray with show sheen or another hair polish after the bath...this will help repel stains.

Rescue_Rider9
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.netequestrian.com/products/product.asp?pId=1514&cId=98&scId=251&cgId=2
Follow the link to this great natural spray. My client uses it on her paint to make him go from green and bay to white and bay. Smells nice. Works FAST even on his winter hair. Curry & brush horse then spray and rub in with towel/rag. Leave it in while you pick hooves and tail. Wipe off. Even removes Blue Coat in a few days and that stuff is like permanent marker. I leave it in while I ride him then he comes out sparkling clean when I rub him down post ride.

I swear by this stuff!!!

caradino
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
for last-minute manure stains i curry the heck out of them, then take a damp (not dripping!) sponge, squeeze on a dime-sized drop of QuicSilver (which i usually have on hand anyway), and rub out the stain. comes perfectly sparkling clean, every time. just use a TEENY amount of the shampoo and squeeze it around on the sponge so you're not giving your pony purple spots. it's the easiest, fastest, most effective thing. i have never had luck with rubbing alchohol or 'dry' spray shampoos.

findeight
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:20 AM
OPs problem, though, is NOT spot cleaning-it's the WHOLE HORSE.

All of the products mentioned do a good job. So does plain rubbing alcohol or a bucket of hot, soapy water and a sponge followed by another bucket and clean sponge to rinse. But it takes you, literally, half a long day to do the average full size horse that way and dry them and the results will be patchy. Horse will be over the experience before you are halfway through. BTDT. They lose interest and stop cooperating after about an hour.

The whole trick is not to let them get too dirty so every time you get a weather break in the fall or early spring like this? Bathe them, show or not.
Orvus or Dawn do the best job IME followed with Quicksilver for the tough spots.

You can play catch up with socks and blazes. Maybe even get a Pony done that way. Not so much with the entire full sized grey/white horse. You have to stay on it with them all the time, show or no show because once those stains are set in a winter coat that is not going to shed for 4 months? Not going to come out.