PDA

View Full Version : Best Waterproof Barn Boots - Recommendations

FatCatFarm
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:41 PM
Is there a good economical boot out there that will last more than just a few months? I have bought $80 Wellingtons only to have them last 6 mos. Have been buying cheapy rubber rain boots but they're only lasting a couple of months before they start cracking and leaking where they crease at the toes. I'm down at my barn every day at least twice a day and often more; traipsing around in the fields in whatever kind of weather we're having tired of wet feet and dirty socks from all the mud and rain. Hopefully there's something out there worth buying that might last say a year? Would that be too much to ask? And not have them cost a bloody fortune since they are going to be routinely covered in filth. What works for you?

ChocoMare
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:48 PM
Yes, they're kinda pricey, but worth the investment: The Original Muck Boot (http://www.tractorsupply.com/workwear-clothing-footwear/ladies-clothing/ladies-footwear/ladies-pvc-rubber-footwear/the-original-muck-boot-ladies-knee-height-tack-classic-hi-equine-boot-701522699)

They're comfy, warm and thick. Mine are 3 years old and still going strong.

trubandloki
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:50 PM
NEOS (http://www.overshoe.com/) you can wear them over anything and they are dry and warm.

LauraKY
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:52 PM
Mine (Original Muck Boot) only lasted 1 year. I admit, I'm very hard on shoes/boots. I now use Goop to reseal thin or worn out spots. So far, so good.

DiablosHalo
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:34 PM
I have the Dubarrys- they are really great. I see that Dover carries a Mountain Horse version of them now- you could read reviews on the website.

Also- I bought Totes waterproof boots from Kohls to wear to work all winter. Ended up wearing them in the barn bc they are waterproof and sooooo warm! Almost too warm to wear to work- my feet would be 110 degrees all day at the office! They were $60. Now I buy them at the end of the season for $20 for the next year. They last the entire winter/spring but I buy a new pair bc they are cheap and the old ones get really smelly!!!

jazzrider
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have had these L.L. Bean boots for three winters (this coming will be my fourth) and love them. Not a sign of wear, I'm sure they'll last a few more years. I will say mine are slip on rather than zip -- looks like they don't sell the pull-on's this year.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=33159&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503074&feat=503074-tn&cat4=505549

greysandbays
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
I used to be able to get rubber almost-knee-high "barn boots" from any of the area hardware stores that catered to the rural/farm clientel. They'd last a year or so and cost under $20.

But the last several years, Big Bird or somebody must have taken over the design department because all of the boots now are for stick-legs. I can't get into them without slitting the boot calves almost to the ankles --whitch totally defeats the point of higher boots.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have the Dubarrys- they are really great. I see that Dover carries a Mountain Horse version of them now- you could read reviews on the website.

Also- I bought Totes waterproof boots from Kohls to wear to work all winter. Ended up wearing them in the barn bc they are waterproof and sooooo warm! Almost too warm to wear to work- my feet would be 110 degrees all day at the office! They were $60. Now I buy them at the end of the season for $20 for the next year. They last the entire winter/spring but I buy a new pair bc they are cheap and the old ones get really smelly!!!

Got a link to the Mtn Horse boots you mention? I just checked the Dover site and see a Tack High mud/muck boot, but didn't see the Mtn Horse brand. I have a pair of Mtn Horse paddock boots that have taken alot of abuse and remained comfortable and in good shape. I prefer a knee boot too. Really appreciate all the suggestions. I see the Wellies are now up to $94+ :eek: I'll pay that if I have some faith that they're going to last.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:04 PM
I used to be able to get rubber almost-knee-high "barn boots" from any of the area hardware stores that catered to the rural/farm clientel. They'd last a year or so and cost under $20.

I've been buying the $24.95 rubber rain boots from Target but I'm going through at least four pairs a year. It's not the sole that'swearing out, it's were the boots/rubber creases over my toes. They crack there and let mud and water in. Same thing happened with the expensive Wellingtons. They lasted longer but I'd still need two pair of them in a year and at $95, no thanks.

Ben and Me
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:17 PM
I've also had good luck with my LL Bean Storm Chaser boots. They're super comfy too...I think they have Reebok tennis shoe technology, or something like that. It looks like they've changed the style though. I wore them all summer at the zoo I worked at, and they went through dozens of Virkon footbaths every day...no problem!

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=58460&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503432&feat=503432-tn&cat4=503425

chai
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:32 AM
I love my Muck Boots. They are so comfortable, they are like slippers. I have three pair: high cut, mid calf and the shoes. I love the high cuts the best because they are warm, comfortable and totally waterproof. They have lasted me 5 years and they're still in good shape, with almost everyday wear.
I like the look of the Dubarrys, too, but I like the stretch calf of the MuckBoots.

Sparky Boy
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:38 AM
I LIVE in those tall Muck Boot Co. Boots, except in summer ;) Don't ride in them, but for barn work they are great!! Comfy and warmer than you might expect. Mine are probably 4 years old now.

lilypondlane
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:02 AM
My Muck Boot Company tall Arctic boots are going into their 10th season and are still like new. My feet are never cold and never wet, not even in the sloppiest of footing. Not for riding, but the best for barn/farm work. I hose off the mud at my washstall when I'm ready to head back to the house which I think is key to prolonging their life.

selah
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:04 AM
Mine (Original Muck Boot) only lasted 1 year. I admit, I'm very hard on shoes/boots. I now use Goop to reseal thin or worn out spots. So far, so good.

I had the same experience with them. I love them for comfort & warmth...glad I haven't thrown them away yet...gonna get some Goop! Thanks for the tip:yes:

Trixie
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:06 AM
But the last several years, Big Bird or somebody must have taken over the design department because all of the boots now are for stick-legs. I can't get into them without slitting the boot calves almost to the ankles --whitch totally defeats the point of higher boots

Ugh, trade you. Here they're all hugely wide on me.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:27 AM
Allrighty then. Think I'll give the Muck Boots a go and pick up a tube of Shoe Goo to go with them. Thanks for all the input.

Yip
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:43 PM
I buy Northerners from Tractor Supply.

They're solid rubber, lined with some kind of soft fabric, and almost knee high, yet wide enough so I can just step in and out of them. No sitting down and getting icky hands.

In womens' sizes, they're navy blue. In mens' sizes, they're a green.

They cost a little under $17 and last about 2 years. When they go, it will be because of a small tear on the foot part. I never thought about repairing them but I bet I can if I find the right product.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:13 PM
I buy Northerners from Tractor Supply.

They're solid rubber, lined with some kind of soft fabric, and almost knee high, yet wide enough so I can just step in and out of them. No sitting down and getting icky hands.

In womens' sizes, they're navy blue. In mens' sizes, they're a green.

They cost a little under $17 and last about 2 years. When they go, it will be because of a small tear on the foot part. I never thought about repairing them but I bet I can if I find the right product.

Hmmm, plan to go by Tractor Supply on the way home and will check these out, but they sound alot like what I've been getting and I'm running through four pair a year, getting that small tear or cracking you mention. TS has the knee hi Muck Boots cheaper than anywhere else.

2DogsFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:08 PM
I second the vote for TSC cheapos!
Mine lasted 3 years and only died when I ripped the seam on one heel from stepping on it to get them off. It's repaired with duct tape (what else?) and isn't totally waterproof but I understand there is a rubber repair glue you can get somewhere...

You can layer polarfleece socks underneath and you feet will stay warm & bone-dry.
They can also be rolled down if you don't want kneehigh boots.

sidepasser
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have had these L.L. Bean boots for three winters (this coming will be my fourth) and love them. Not a sign of wear, I'm sure they'll last a few more years. I will say mine are slip on rather than zip -- looks like they don't sell the pull-on's this year.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=33159&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503074&feat=503074-tn&cat4=505549

Jazzrider - can you ride in those boots? I would like a pair of waterproofs that I can go fetch the horse out of the muddy paddock and then ride and groom, muck stalls, etc. in. In other words, a pair of really good "waterproof" riding/work boots. I used to ride in my lace up LL Bean duck boots that were 8" tall, they finally gave up the ghost after six years and I wore them pretty much from November through May here in Georgia due to the rain and mud.

If I can ride in those instead of my nice paddock boots during this monsoon season we are having, I'll certainly give them a try. I want to keep my paddock boots for those occasional non mud, non rain days..lol. Besides I have learned, Justin paddocks are NOT waterproof nor are they warm in the winter time.

tcgelec
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have used Muck boots for many years. Get about 2 yrs out of them. Last year I also bought a pair of Muck Brit Riders. They are tall like tall boots and have a heel so you can ride in them. I had to get larger irons but they kept me warm all last winter and kept me from ruining my Dehners in the long mud season we have around here. I have to get a new pair this year...but that's because I ended up using them for everything!

buck22
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:40 PM
love my muck boots, 2 years of daily use and they're in fabulous shape. have ridden in them but scary unless I have 5" irons on.

nicest boots I own are schnees though http://www.schnees.com/

Though I only wear my schnees seasonally (fall winter), I've had them for 9 years and they're amazing. My boyfriend has had his for 20 years and they're in great shape. They're warm and clunky like mucks but a bit more streamlined and easier to ride in. I used to wear them daily to the barn and rode in my western saddle. Now that i have the mucks though, the schnees only come out once in a while now.

Trevelyan96
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:56 PM
I have the $15 cheapos from Wal Mart in a boy's size, as all the other rubber boots start at a size 6 and are too big for me. Love them, they are uber warm. Black with green soles, I just slipped an insole into the bottom of them and they are warm and comfy!

cheryl ann
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
My Mucks are going on seven years old this fall. So I figure they cost about $7-8 per year of ownership. They have never been in the house, they're worn at and stored in the barn. I rinse them off after every use. They are still in unmarked, like-new condition.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:31 PM
Our new TSC didn't have the Muck boots in stock so I wound up getting a pair of Northerner rubber knee boots for $17.99 less 25% off. They're really pretty decent. Will see how well they hold up and if not very well, hopefully TSC will have the Muck boots in stock next time.

murphyluv
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:24 PM
I got the original muck boot and they barely lasted the summer...

lolalola
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:31 PM
My Muck boots are four or five years old now. Think I will treat myself to a new pair, but they are really good value.

Creaghgal
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:48 PM
After having my green Hunter wellies for over 25 years I decided to give these a shot.

http://www.hunter-boot.com/2/1/Shop-Online/Original-Clog/RED/W23599_RED.aspx?use=1

Bet’cha they go the distance.

dalpal
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:32 AM
Yes, they're kinda pricey, but worth the investment: The Original Muck Boot (http://www.tractorsupply.com/workwear-clothing-footwear/ladies-clothing/ladies-footwear/ladies-pvc-rubber-footwear/the-original-muck-boot-ladies-knee-height-tack-classic-hi-equine-boot-701522699)

They're comfy, warm and thick. Mine are 3 years old and still going strong.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

I've never owned the boots, but have had one pair of the Garden shoes and now have a pair of their SUV hiking shoes..both are very warm and waterproof.

jazzrider
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:50 AM
Jazzrider - can you ride in those boots? I would like a pair of waterproofs that I can go fetch the horse out of the muddy paddock and then ride and groom, muck stalls, etc. in. In other words, a pair of really good "waterproof" riding/work boots. I used to ride in my lace up LL Bean duck boots that were 8" tall, they finally gave up the ghost after six years and I wore them pretty much from November through May here in Georgia due to the rain and mud.

If I can ride in those instead of my nice paddock boots during this monsoon season we are having, I'll certainly give them a try. I want to keep my paddock boots for those occasional non mud, non rain days..lol. Besides I have learned, Justin paddocks are NOT waterproof nor are they warm in the winter time.

Oops, no -- I don't ride in them. I suppose you could though. I keep a pair of old paddock boots in the barn to slip on when I need to, since there's no mud between my barn and my riding ring. If you wanted to ride in them, I'd get the tie ups rather than the slip ons, for a more snug fit.

sidepasser
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks Jazzrider - I have never worn anything but lace ups other than back in my western days when I wore cowgirl boots.

A very NICE friend from another board is shipping me a new pair of LL Bean duck boots she bought for her daughter who zoomed past a size 7 and so has no use for her new boots..I am ecstatic and though said friend said just pay for shipping, I am including some extra in the paypal monies for said daughter so she can buy something for her horse or something horsey anyway for herself..

land sakes a new pair of Beans - I can't wait! The mud here in GA. has been awful since monsoon season arrived.

jazzrider
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:00 PM
Wow, that's great luck! Hopefully you'll be as happy with them as I've been with mine. We've had rain here for four days, so the fall mud has arrived. :no: I'm already fantasizing about a load of crusher run. :D

FatCatFarm
Oct. 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
After having my green Hunter wellies for over 25 years I decided to give these a shot.

http://www.hunter-boot.com/2/1/Shop-Online/Original-Clog/RED/W23599_RED.aspx?use=1

Bet’cha they go the distance.

Good lord! That's awesome. Unfortunately my Wellies lasted barely a full winter of GA mud and rain so I have not spent the money on another pair. I'm really hard on my muck boots and wear them constantly for any outside chore.

Sugarbrook
Oct. 18, 2009, 03:55 PM
I go on ebay and look under "Clarks Muckers". I have gotten a few pair of really nice ones (got them for both my barn employees also). I have paid from $9.99 up to 22.00. They sell for a lot in the stores. I love bidding on them and seeing which style is available. I would go 1/2 size larger. I wear a 6.5 and got size 7 and they fit perfectly. Totally waterproof (but not big boots, just mucker style.).

sidepasser
Oct. 18, 2009, 05:14 PM
Good lord! That's awesome. Unfortunately my Wellies lasted barely a full winter of GA mud and rain so I have not spent the money on another pair. I'm really hard on my muck boots and wear them constantly for any outside chore.

Hey FatCatFarm - where are you located? I am in West Central Ga. an hour south of Atlanta. Would love to meet another GA. Cother to maybe ride with or meet at a show.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
PM coming your way sidepasser.

Silvercrown90
Oct. 19, 2009, 03:10 AM
Has anyone tried Bogs? I wear them for mucking and walking in the fields, and like them. I did not have them last Winter, so I cannot attest to their ability to keep my feet warm in really cold weather. If anyone has worn them, I would like to hear their experiences.

seabreeze
Oct. 19, 2009, 05:09 AM
Mudruckers

SOTB
Oct. 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
I LOVE my muck boots!