PDA

View Full Version : WEF stabling rates for 2010

JustJump
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:06 PM
Has anyone heard anything?

I have heard that ALL the GPxs are supposed to be on Saturday PM this year...

Glad I'm not a groom.

Or the rider of a horse that isn't great at night under lights.

But maybe it was just a baseless rumor>

snaffles
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:23 PM
Stabling rates are the same as last year and all the above is true.

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:43 PM
I heard the same thing about the GP schedule. I was told it was so that spectators could watch jumpers on Saturday night, and polo on Sunday afternoon, without splitting the fan base.

It's fun to have a night class once in a while for a special event, but every week?

perfecta11
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:14 PM
WEF stabling rates are the same, and if you read the fine print they even say something along the lines of a tiny discount if you keep your stalls (per week) after circuit is over. That discount doesn't make up though to be anything significant in comparison to what's being offered up elsewhere though for circuit stalls. But, I guess that's the price we pay for showing at WEF.

Night classes are fun, and I certainly did enjoy them from a spectator's standpoint last year. They were quite draining though, especially for our grooms. You practically need to have a day staff and a night staff when you've got horses showing at 8am and 8 pm and then 8 am again the next morning. Why not make a few of the classes later on Saturday afternoon and leave the featured classes for the night? It'd sure be a lot less exhausting to have the GP be over and have the horses home and put away by 6:30 or 7pm than the 11pm nights and later we had last year.

In my own opinion, I think that something did have to be done to get more of an audience to come for GP classes, but that shouldn't come at the cost of doing away with all of (I bet it will be close to all of) Sunday classes. That's part of WEF, that's why the GPs are called Sunday GPs when people talk about them. There was something very nice about letting the week wrap up with GP jumping.

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
Night classes are fun, and I certainly did enjoy them from a spectator's standpoint last year. They were quite draining though, especially for our grooms. You practically need to have a day staff and a night staff when you've got horses showing at 8am and 8 pm and then 8 am again the next morning. Why not make a few of the classes later on Saturday afternoon and leave the featured classes for the night? It'd sure be a lot less exhausting to have the GP be over and have the horses home and put away by 6:30 or 7pm than the 11pm nights and later we had last year.

That's the thing. There were times last year when I watched the night class, then went to my barn for night check, and saw grooms leading the horses back to their barns in GP village in the pitch dark at some ungodly hour. By the time they got those horses home and put away properly, it was probably after midnight. Then many of those grooms probably had to be back at work at 6:00 AM to be ready for the first class at 8:00 AM.

It's bad enough to do that once in a while, but every week for 3 months?:eek:

It would be great if everybody had enough staff to do the day/night shift approach, but that's just not feasible for most people. If you're in a position where the groom is at the ingate hoping the horse hits something so he won't have to wait around for the jump-off, something is very wrong. :lol:

M. O'Connor
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:48 PM
IME, if you are just getting to the barn at 6am, you are running very, very late. Let's not forget that the "off campus" crowd has to be even earlier to make that 8am classs.

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:49 PM
IME, if you are just getting to the barn at 6am, you are running very, very late.

Depends on how many gray horses you have! :lol:

mroades
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:05 PM
I HATE the idea of saturday noght classes for trainers and grooms...but as someone who can sort of make the 7 hour drive to watch Wef for a weekend, it allows my kids to watch the GP and still get home at a reasonable hour on sunday...uggh I am torn!

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
I HATE the idea of saturday noght classes for trainers and grooms...but as someone who can sort of make the 7 hour drive to watch Wef for a weekend, it allows my kids to watch the GP and still get home at a reasonable hour on sunday...uggh I am torn!

But you probably wouldn't make that drive every week, right?

So if there were just a few night classes spread out over the season, you could see those classes, and the riders, trainers and grooms could get through the winter in much better shape.

I still just shudder at the thought of those poor guys dragging those horses home in the dark, week after week.

mroades
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
Agreed...we could certainly plan a weekend around a night class....I was thinking about how many hours grooms work at indoors and thinking it was borderline inhumane for some of them.

Horseshowaddict
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
I wonder if the group had anything to say about the GP schedule. They had a very nice letter that outlined suggestions etc etc for WEF.

http://www.narg.org/news.cfm?newsID=35

AM
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:14 AM
Too bad the writer of that NARG letter didn't proof read it carefully. At least I hope she understands the difference between coarse and course. However, mistakes like that can really influence the recipient of such a letter and not in a good way.

MIKES MCS
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
LOL do you really think show management gives a RIP about a grooms schedule? Come on people this is WEF.