PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Raleigh, NC...

coco21
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking about possibly moving there. What's the H/J scene like there?
Where are the best horsey locations in the area? Is one side of the city better than others?
Who are the H/J trainers in the area? ( "A" trainers)
What can I expect to pay for board? Are there plenty of boarding facilities with available stalls?
Thanks

NeverEnd
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
I prefer the VA market to NC hands down - and wish I could move back there. However, the hunter world in Raleigh is predominant to other disciplines. There are some nice barns and reputable trainers, but fewer selection than VA. Full board at a reputable barn will run $500-600. The majority of farms are in North, West, and SW areas of Wake county, which are also the better areas to live. PM me if you'd like some barn suggestions.

Horseshowaddict
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking about possibly moving there.
What's the H/J scene like there?:
Its growing. There are plenty of local shows, a few "A" shows, and a couple "AA" shows a year. Hunters are FAR more prevalent than Jumpers and Eq. Its def.not NJ.

Where are the best horsey locations in the area? Is one side of the city better than others?
There are lots of farms that border the greater Raleigh area. Plenty of nice enough facilities around. You will normally find, that the closer to the city you are, the more the board will cost. But thats not the rule by any means.

Who are the H/J trainers in the area? ( "A" trainers)
There is a trainer's directory on nchja.com that is not EVERYONE around, but most of the active showing trainers are members.

What can I expect to pay for board? Are there plenty of boarding facilities with available stalls?
Anywhere from about $450-$1200 a month depending on a couple of variables.

Ive got plenty of opinions to offer as I lived and rode there all of my life until about a year ago. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Also, after living in a few other places, I cannot say how LUCKY I was to live in Raleigh! Its such a cool place. I would say its one of the better NC cities to go to if you have horses because even if a Triangle area trainer/barn doesnt suit you or your horse, you are still relatively close to other horsey areas.

YankeeTurnedHillbilly
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:52 PM
I moved to Raleigh in 1998 from New Jersey. It was a huge adjustment at first, but now I wouldn't leave this area for anything!

The show circuits are very different down here - like there is really no such thing as USEF rated C or B shows in this area. Not the way you could find them up north. Everything is either local/unrated, or A and up. It is odd really. Jumpers and all of the equitation that is offered up north is virtually non-existent as well. The A shows have the usual offerings, but down here you never hear about equitation like Maiden, Novice, Limit, Mini-Medal, Mini-Maclay, etc. It is just a very different show world down here, and probably the biggest difference I had to get used to.

Boarding in this area varies greatly depending what you can pay for, and what you want out of a boarding barn. Prices will vary just as much. The weather is much milder down here than up north, so there are not too terribly many places with indoor arenas. It certainly isn't a deal breaker around here as far as I am concerned. The quality/level of care at boarding barns here is lower than up north – and that takes some getting used to. I run my farm like I did up north, and people comment frequently that the level of care I provide is different than the other barns they have been to.

One thing I miss terribly about showing up north are the one day shows, at the C and B level. Working off the trailer. Traveling to many different farms and venues for your shows. Around here, you could get in a serious rut showing at the Raleigh Fairgrounds and at Sedgefield (in Greensboro) all the time. There is a lovely farm called Bennett Bunn Plantation that hosts local unrated shows, and it reminds me of the days of showing up north. Lovely farm, so pretty, nice people, and a haul in, one day show to enjoy. But again – not USEF rated.

I could go on and on – but in the end – I adore it here, call it home after being here for 11 years, and wouldn’t move for anything. :-)

NeverEnd
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=YankeeTurnedHillbilly;4440538]One thing I miss terribly about showing up north are the one day shows, at the C and B level. Working off the trailer. Traveling to many different farms and venues for your shows. QUOTE]

This is a sore subject for me. I've lived here for 8 years and am still adjusting to the show life. In VA they have the Associate progam which are recognized by VHSA and there are always tons of those shows to choose from. Unless your an A/AA traveler, your only options are a few small schooling series, Raleigh, or the Sedgefield series. And if you do the jumpers, forget about finding many varied options!

I also miss the one day shows, that were classy, well run, with strong competition. Wish NC would adopt a new outlook on showing!

whbar158
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just moved away and I miss it greatly. They have tons of NCHJA shows to choose from. It is true if you are into the jumpers there is not much to do, and I wish that there had been more eq options at the lower levels. True many of the shows are not USEF shows but the NCHJA shows can be hard too, while many of the horses are not as fancy they do this every weekend and can be hard to beat. Also you are not that far away from VA for more A and AA show options. I had a lot of fun showing the NCHJA shows and the local A's. My horse wasn't really fancy enough for more, and I was glad there were the NCHJA shows for us.