PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle...

fordtraktor
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:38 AM
I am finally gearing up to get back on my horses after a nine-month "vacation" from riding due to pregnancy. My infant is now a month old, and I'm visiting the family farm where my guys have been staying while I'm out of commission. I have one older, reliable horse, and another green TB who is quite the bucker. In my younger days I would just hop on and see what happens, but now as a new mom I am feeling a little less adventurous. Having no muscle and being 15 pounds above my fighting weight is not helping. Nor is the fact that it is supposed to be 30 degrees and snowing.

For others who have had time off from their horses, how did you reintroduce work to a greenie with some known issues when you've been out of commission? I plan on riding the older one first, and longeing the greenie before I get on. There is no one else I could pay to ride him first, unfortunately. I'm not typically a wimp, I used to ride anything with four legs. This reluctance is new to me...hoping it goes away when I am actually there!

hellerkm
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
I am finally gearing up to get back on my horses after a nine-month "vacation" from riding due to pregnancy. My infant is now a month old, and I'm visiting the family farm where my guys have been staying while I'm out of commission. I have one older, reliable horse, and another green TB who is quite the bucker. In my younger days I would just hop on and see what happens, but now as a new mom I am feeling a little less adventurous. Having no muscle and being 15 pounds above my fighting weight is not helping. Nor is the fact that it is supposed to be 30 degrees and snowing.

For others who have had time off from their horses, how did you reintroduce work to a greenie with some known issues when you've been out of commission? I plan on riding the older one first, and longeing the greenie before I get on. There is no one else I could pay to ride him first, unfortunately. I'm not typically a wimp, I used to ride anything with four legs. This reluctance is new to me...hoping it goes away when I am actually there!

It might not go away, but it will get better! Once I had kids I found I could not afford to be out of commission, so I was more careful about what I rode and when I rode. If it was a baby I lunged first just to make sure, I also tried to ride on a regular basis to keep my leg strong. right now I don't ride at all, due to the time spent with the girls!! Just take it slow, it all comes back quickly and congrats on being ready to get back to riding in a MONTH that is a huge accomplishment!!

SprinklerBandit
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:59 PM
Another vote for lunging first, riding later. I had some time off for school, and just started really riding again this spring. It took a while to regain my confidence, especially after an early fall :-/ . Don't push yourself and don't force yourself to do things that you're uncomfortable with.

Good luck!